James Regan

Afghanistan Gone in a Week- Trump States

TRUMP INDICATES HE WOULD USE NUCLEAR WEAPONS IF REQUIRED.

Whats wrong with this man, if he’s not involved in enough issues in the Middle East he comes out with this. If he was my Dad I wouldn’t give him the remote control of the TV, let alone that trigger switch.

Is he trying to start a war?

He is endangering US citizens abroad with his rhetoric.

Why would you say this kind of stuff just now?

https://www.app.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/22/donald-trump-afghanistan-could-wiped-off-face-earth/1797194001/

• Upvote 1

On 7/22/2019 at 1:24 PM, James Regan said:

TRUMP INDICATES HE WOULD USE NUCLEAR WEAPONS IF REQUIRED.

Whats wrong with this man, if he’s not involved in enough issues in the Middle East he comes out with this. If he was my Dad I wouldn’t give him the remote control of the TV, let alone that trigger switch.

Is he trying to start a war?

He is endangering US citizens abroad with his rhetoric.

Why would you say this kind of stuff just now?

https://www.app.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/22/donald-trump-afghanistan-could-wiped-off-face-earth/1797194001/

Trump understands people.  In this case, he understands that Afghanistan doesn't respond to kindness.  They only understand power & barbarism, and that's the language that must be spoken to communicate with them.  There's may also be a culture where honesty, honor, and living up to one's word are optional.  Bloviating is the order of the day. 

By contrast, Europe has what's called a "culture of honor".  Europeans expect actions to match words - and they have the intelligence, education, and will to follow through.  One does not make idle threats in Europe. 

Would Trump actually use nukes?  No.  Does that matter?  Also no.  What matters is speaking a language people understand, and Trump is remarkably effective at that. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I personally prefer to have a Commander in Chief that WILL consider using our nuclear arsenal as a deterrent. That is the primary reason it was built in the first place.

Additionally it is probably not a bad idea to remind those that don’t like our country and especially those that would like to harm our country that if we are backed into a corner the response may be catastrophic.

I am unapologetically a very conservative person by nature and vote that way every election. With that said I am not onboard with all of the tweets that our President throws out to the world. However, I will say this for our current President. He is actually trying to fulfill his campaign promises.

• Like 4

On 7/22/2019 at 2:24 PM, James Regan said:

Whats wrong with this man,

There is obviously a lot "wrong with this man."  Although he delights his base, the reality is that Trump projects an image of being unstable.  He horrifies the Europeans, who are aghast.  He unnerves the Asians, who don't know what to do or how to react.  He is ignored by everybody else, other than the Central Americans, where he has developed this long-standing antipathy.  

Donald Trump is at least 50% likely to follow Bill Clinton in facing an impeachment proceeding.  I also predict that it will fail in the Senate.  The net result is that the USA will be still at a standstill by the 2020 election.  Will The Donald get re-elected?  That is very iffy. If the Democrats run Biden, I predict that Trump will take it again.  The Democrats are on this path of self-destruct, which started with the Clintons, and cannot attract and keep serious candidates that can win a national election.  I cannot for the life of me fathom why the Democrats continue to so spectacularly self-immolate themselves.  They seem to have been taken over by people living in some alternate universe.  

That said, so have the Republicans.  Party politics in the USA is in a phase of collapse.  If I were to assign blame, I would start with Karl Rove and Newt Gingrich.  Then I would expand to Mitch McConnell and the Clintons.  All those people totally despise the average Americans, and view them all as nitwits and rubes.  That colossal arrogance is, in my view, what has brought this about.  Not the Parties of Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter, that's for sure!

Where Trump shines is his uncanny ability to read people and break through old, stagnant lines.  His ability to rope in Kim Jong Un is just amazing. He has totally changed the dynamic in Asia without firing a shot or sending in a naval fleet.  Give the man credit for that.  For domestic policy, it is a big bust. Thank  Mitch McConnell and Mike Pence for that. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 7/25/2019 at 9:24 AM, Jan van Eck said:

There is obviously a lot "wrong with this man."  Although he delights his base, the reality is that Trump projects an image of being unstable.  He horrifies the Europeans, who are aghast.  He unnerves the Asians, who don't know what to do or how to react.  He is ignored by everybody else, other than the Central Americans, where he has developed this long-standing antipathy.  

Donald Trump is at least 50% likely to follow Bill Clinton in facing an impeachment proceeding.  I also predict that it will fail in the Senate.  The net result is that the USA will be still at a standstill by the 2020 election.  Will The Donald get re-elected?  That is very iffy. If the Democrats run Biden, I predict that Trump will take it again.  The Democrats are on this path of self-destruct, which started with the Clintons, and cannot attract and keep serious candidates that can win a national election.  I cannot for the life of me fathom why the Democrats continue to so spectacularly self-immolate themselves.  They seem to have been taken over by people living in some alternate universe.  

That said, so have the Republicans.  Party politics in the USA is in a phase of collapse.  If I were to assign blame, I would start with Karl Rove and Newt Gingrich.  Then I would expand to Mitch McConnell and the Clintons.  All those people totally despise the average Americans, and view them all as nitwits and rubes.  That colossal arrogance is, in my view, what has brought this about.  Not the Parties of Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter, that's for sure!

Where Trump shines is his uncanny ability to read people and break through old, stagnant lines.  His ability to rope in Kim Jong Un is just amazing. He has totally changed the dynamic in Asia without firing a shot or sending in a naval fleet.  Give the man credit for that.  For domestic policy, it is a big bust. Thank  Mitch McConnell and Mike Pence for that. 

You are correct, there is a lot wrong with this man, and again, I will say that at the very least he is doing something that no politician has done in all the years I have been voting(34 years). He is actually attempting to do what he promised us all. No other politician, from the president all the way down to our city council members has ever even made an attempt to follow through with the promises made during the campaign. And yes, I do cringe when he uses Twitter, I really wish he would just let the press core do their jobs and tell us what is going on, however, a lot of the things that come out of his mouth are really on our minds anyway. We just don't have to worry about the politics after we say something.    And you are correct again, both parties seem to have lost their way. I remember voting for Republicans that ran around all promising to do away with the ACA, but how far did that get? No where. All they worry about is the tiny percentage of people that probably wouldn't vote for them again if it was abolished. Another fine example of career politicians that are only worried about getting elected AGAIN and AGAIN!!

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Donald Trump. What can one say, at this point in the ballgame. The good news about Trump, is that either as an extreme right wing Republican candidate or better yet as an independent candidate he will ensure that a Democrat is the next President.

I have read a lot of praise for Trumps dealings with N Korea. They are back to missile tests and still have a nuclear arsenal. The US and S Korea after suspending war exercises have resumed. Both Russia and China continue to trade and support N Korea in an obvious slap and loss of face to Trump. What did I miss, are we and our allies any safer? 

5 hours ago, Boat said:

I have read a lot of praise for Trumps dealings with N Korea. They are back to missile tests and still have a nuclear arsenal. The US and S Korea after suspending war exercises have resumed. Both Russia and China continue to trade and support N Korea in an obvious slap and loss of face to Trump. What did I miss, are we and our allies any safer? 

Well, you may be correct, but let me ask you, which other President even made the effort to meet and discuss the issue with North Korea? Is it entirely Trump's fault that the negotiations did not bear fruit?

It takes two to tango...

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Shermangaura said:

Donald Trump. What can one say, at this point in the ballgame. The good news about Trump, is that either as an extreme right wing Republican candidate or better yet as an independent candidate he will ensure that a Democrat is the next President.

I disagree. If you ignore the biased media hyperbole and look at what he has actually done for AMERICANS (remember, he is the American President), he would win by a landslide today.

• Upvote 4

On 7/25/2019 at 10:24 PM, Jan van Eck said:

One of the big problem with evaluating Trump and his behavior is that you expect him to act like a politician or diplomat. He is neither and never indicated that he was.

He approaches ever issue as if it was a business, after all, he was a businessman.

Europe is horrified and the Asians are un-nerved because an American President has the audacity to put his country first. That said, they have no issue if their politicians do their best to put the EU, China, etc... first.

Essentially Trump is saying that the days of milking the American taxpayer to subsidize other countries defense or economic welfare are coming to an end. 

How did you expect them to take the news?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Essentially Trump is saying that the days of milking the American taxpayer to subsidize other countries defense or economic welfare are coming to an end. 

And long overdue!    Trump is the ONLY person in American politics to have the audacity to push that forward. No question.

How did you expect them to take the news?

Poorly.   Will cost them money to fend off the Russians, which remains an existential threat.   Remember that the whole idea of Germany particularly was that if you bring the Russians into Europe with purchases of gas and oil, then they will moderate their behavior.  The Ukraine has found out just how great that worked out.  Putin can be expected to use his gas sales profits to finance further military adventures.  You are not going to modify that man, ever.  Not in the cards.  And that is the reason the USA is best advised to use surplus US gas as a political weapon, and send it to Poland.  Shutting down the Russian sales is in US and German interests.  Angela Merkel simply does not "get it."  Amazing how she has these blinders on. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Boat said:

Both Russia and China continue to trade and support N Korea in an obvious slap and loss of face to Trump.

Not really.  Without that trade and support, North Korea would collapse, and hordes of refugees, in the millions, would pour over the borders into Russia and China, which are not set up for that.  So to avoid collapse they continue to prop up NK.  It is in everybody's interests to avoid mass famine and collapse and turmoil inside NK, as the place has so many problems and a brainwashed military of one million.  You don't want that getting out of control. 

8 hours ago, Boat said:

What did I miss, are we and our allies any safer? 

Yes, you are a lot safer.  Without the engagement posture of Trump, NK would be back to advancing its missile technology.  Right now  NK has an incentive to continue dialogue with the USA, and they will.  So the prospect of war on the Korean Peninsula is substantially lower, probably non-existent at this point.  It is a lot, lot safer.  Peace is starting to break out.  A major coup for Donald Trump.  And nobody else could have pulled it off.  Only Trump. 

• Upvote 3

I disagree. If you ignore the biased media hyperbole and look at what he has actually done for AMERICANS (remember, he is the American President), he would win by a landslide today.

I would agree with your assessment.  Moving past all the boorishness, Trump has done what the Democrats are emotionally and congenitally unable and incapable of doing - moving American manufacturing forward.  Key States in the US Midwest would move to the Republicans, especially Ohio.  You cannot win a US Presidential election without Ohio, and I think he has that in his pocket.  The Democrats have demonstrated electoral incompetence when it comes to Ohio. Also Michigan. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Well, you may be correct, but let me ask you, which other President even made the effort to meet and discuss the issue with North Korea? Is it entirely Trump's fault that the negotiations did not bear fruit?

It takes two to tango...

It’s ok Douglas, support Trump all you want. I try to be a little more practical and inspect the results of every issue. Effort by Obama was considered weakness. Did yo support his engagement with Iran? You playing politics or playing fair.

Personally I support dialogue with all nations on every issue. That does not mean all eventual decisions are supported by everyone. Republicans are 1st class hypocrites to praise a Trump for N Korea and trash an Obama for Iran dialogue. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/25/2019 at 8:24 AM, Jan van Eck said:

Obama could have easily won against trump.

16 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

Obama could have easily won against trump.

Except that your man was not running, now was he?   See, you have this deep desire to knock down Pres. Trump because you personally have this antipathy against right-wing conservatives.  What you do not appreciate about Americans is that the party label is quite fluid.  Someone like Roosevelt who claims to be a leftie Democrat was in fact quite the conservative, for example refusing landing rights to the refugees on the St. Louis.  Americans get frustrated with self-annointed political elites, such as the Clintons as but one example, and then will vote in "someone else," and the Party label is really not that important.  Lots of Democrat party members voted for Trump.  Getting away fromthe ranting about the Wall, a lot of his other proposals struck a chord with the voters.  Sorry about that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jan van Eck said:

Except that your man was not running, now was he?   See, you have this deep desire to knock down Pres. Trump because you personally have this antipathy against right-wing conservatives.  What you do not appreciate about Americans is that the party label is quite fluid.  Someone like Roosevelt who claims to be a leftie Democrat was in fact quite the conservative, for example refusing landing rights to the refugees on the St. Louis.  Americans get frustrated with self-annointed political elites, such as the Clintons as but one example, and then will vote in "someone else," and the Party label is really not that important.  Lots of Democrat party members voted for Trump.  Getting away from the ranting about the Wall, a lot of his other proposals struck a chord with the voters.  Sorry about that. 

Well he couldn't run... that's different than saying the Dems can't find anyone good.  I agree that most political parties do not follow their  traditional ideologies.

Hillary was a horrible choice to take on trump.  Electing a woman has been impossible under the best of circumstances.  Sexists still believe a woman can't be a great leader due to PMS or other nonsense.

12 hours ago, Boat said:

It’s ok Douglas, support Trump all you want. I try to be a little more practical and inspect the results of every issue. Effort by Obama was considered weakness. Did yo support his engagement with Iran? You playing politics or playing fair.

Personally I support dialogue with all nations on every issue. That does not mean all eventual decisions are supported by everyone. Republicans are 1st class hypocrites to praise a Trump for N Korea and trash an Obama for Iran dialogue. 

That works both ways Boat. Feel free to dismiss Trump as you like. I am not 'playing politics' so much as looking at results.

Yes, Obama engaged with Iran, gave them how many hundreds of millions of dollars to engage them...and what did the US taxpayer get for that money?

• Upvote 2

(edited)

9 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

That works both ways Boat. Feel free to dismiss Trump as you like. I am not 'playing politics' so much as looking at results.

Yes, Obama engaged with Iran, gave them how many hundreds of millions of dollars to engage them...and what did the US taxpayer get for that money?

I didn’t like Obama’s deal with Iran either but that’s an aside. Your just being a Republican rather than a commen sense across the board idea that says dialogue wether friend or foe is always the right approach. 

For example I am glad Trump is talking to N Korea but that doesn’t mean he has made us one bit safer or solved anything. In fact both sides have retrenched. 

Edited by Boat

6 minutes ago, Boat said:

I didn’t like Obama’s deal with Iran either but that’s an aside. Your just being a Republican rather than a commen sense across the board idea that says dialogue wether friend or foe is always the right approach. 

And how do you assume that I am a Republican?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Douglas Buckland said:

And how do you assume that I am a Republican?

You think and talk like one. I grew up around conservatives. There is a difference.

43 minutes ago, Boat said:

You think and talk like one. I grew up around conservatives. There is a difference.

I would gently suggest that you be very careful about making assumptions.  First, being a Republican does not mean that one is a Conservative, and vice versa.  Second, until Douglas proclaims himself to be an adherent to some political party, I would not assume anything.  Let the man speak for himself.  For example, I would doubt that you have a handle on my political adherence.  Go ahead: take your shot.  Let's see how good that is!

47 minutes ago, Boat said:

First, to be accurate, you have never 'talked' to me. My opinions presented on this site appear to be conservative in nature and you made the assumption that I was a Republican. Not all conservatives are Republican and visa versa.

What you apparently meant to infer is that I support the majority of Trump's endeavors, which is true.

Not all Trump supporters are conservative Republicans.

4 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

Sexists still believe a woman can't be a great leader due to PMS or other nonsense.

Then again, you fellows in Canada had Kathleen Wynne as your stellar Leader  (in Ontario, but still).  For 15 years!

So, how did that work out for you?  Real great?  Or not so great? Are the people of Ontario better off after 15 years of Kathleen Wynne in the premiership?  You tell me. 

10 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

Well he couldn't run... that's different than saying the Dems can't find anyone good.  I agree that most political parties do not follow their  traditional ideologies.

Hillary was a horrible choice to take on trump.  Electing a woman has been impossible under the best of circumstances.  Sexists still believe a woman can't be a great leader due to PMS or other nonsense.

Rumour has it that Michael may run in 2020 so Barack will be pulling some strings there.