Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BR

Pakistan PM Khan Returns Home Exulting After Washington Visit

Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan returned home from Washington on Thursday after a visit seen by supporters as a major diplomatic success, saying he felt like he had when he came back after winning the cricket World Cup. U.S. President Donald Trump’s warm reception of Khan and a delegation including the army chief and the head of the powerful ISI intelligence service was a welcome relief to a government under increasing economic pressure at home.
Offering reassurance that Pakistan would help seal a peace agreement with the Taliban to allow U.S. troops to withdraw from Afghanistan, Khan went some way toward rebuilding Pakistan’s image in Washington after years of U.S. suspicions. While there was no announcement that the United States would restore hundreds of millions of dollars in security assistance cut off last year, the visit sent a signal that relations had improved significantly.
“For now, I think the Pakistani side would be happy with what they got,” said Umer Karim, a visiting fellow at the Royal United Services Institute in London. He said the presence of the army chief, General Qamar Javed Bajwa, and ISI head General Faiz Hameed alongside Khan in Washington were a strong signal that U.S. mistrust of Pakistan’s security establishment had eased.

• Upvote 1

I hope, meeting between President Trump and PM Khan could bring peace in Sub continent and Afghanistan.

Did they discussed about Pakistan’s role and connections with militants, including the Afghan Taliban...

Bilaterally, an enhanced cooperation in trade and investment offers vast potential. Pakistan is a significant and growing buyer of natural gas, steel scrap, soybeans and technology services—all major U.S. exports.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Pavel said:

Did they discussed about Pakistan’s role and connections with militants, including the Afghan Taliban...

Khan is the most progressive PM of Pakistan in the last few decades: he talks about development, poverty, education and peace ... It's not easy to be PM in the country as Pakistan is. 

So, I'm afraid there will be coup before he finishes this good job ...

• Like 1

Terrorism has penetrated within the Pakistani society long ago. It needs a consistent and long effort to win. Last but not least - poor country on the brink of the collapse...

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 10:07 AM, damirUSBiH said:

Khan is the most progressive PM of Pakistan in the last few decades: he talks about development, poverty, education and peace ... It's not easy to be PM in the country as Pakistan is. 

So, I'm afraid there will be coup before he finishes this good job ...

I am really surprised that Iraq has lasted as long as it has. They seem to be prone to being taken over by radicals in the ME. And who really knows, it may still happen in Iraq again.....