Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50 shades of black

Puerto Rico: The Crisis As A Constant

Puerto Rico’s embattled governor announced his resignation; ending weeks of public protests over his widening corruption and hurricane relief scandal. 
His resignation, effective Aug. 2, came late Wednesday night on a recorded video published on Facebook. In the message, he touted what he considered accomplishments of his tenure, saying he fought corruption and made strides for different communities,”. “My only North Star has been the well-being of my island,” said Rossello.
President Trump weighed-in last week on the escalating corruption scandal plaguing multiple officials in Puerto Rico; saying the US Congress “squandered” upwards of $92 billion on hurricane relief. Few days ago, the FBI arrested multiple officials in Puerto Rico Wednesday regarding a potential “payoff” scheme using American hurricane relief aid on the island following a series of natural disasters.

• Like 1

Congratulations to the people of Puerto Rico. They made their dissatisfaction known through peaceful protest and their voices were heard.

• Like 1

They have shown what means to be united against corruption, greed, and bad leaders ...

• Like 1

They deserve better. But, I'm afraid that one resignation could not change a brutal reality there ..

• Like 1

It is just so sad that the poor of Puerto Rico continue to suffer so. First it is the destruction of the electric grid, the cables and poles and transformers all busted up.  Then the money designated for relief and rebuilding gets stolen.  How can anybody live in such misery? 

You have to be a total pig, without even a shred of empathy, to go steal from the abjectly destitute, force them to live without light and a refrigerator.  It is just so pathetic.  And that is why it is my firm belief that those kinds of massive relief projects should be kept to and with the Army Corps of Engineers, not contracted out.  The Army has the social order internally to do it right.  You contract it out and this is what happens. 

• Upvote 2