Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

Rising Nationalism May Put Brakes on Mexico Energy Reform

... or it may not, given that the frontrunner in the July election has softened a bit. Would be interesting to watch, though, what with The Wall and everything.

Leftist frontrunner is saying now more Mexico oil in foreign hands. he's leading polls for the July presidential elections. So that means reviewing the contracts already made. Maybe hot air, maybe not. Just like the wall. Tit for tat. 

nothing new, candidates are boring and are not offering change 

remember that cat in 2013 elections when Morris the cat's bid to become mayor of the Mexican city of Xalapa. Had a slogan 'Tired of voting for rats? Vote for a cat' 

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 8.30.02 PM.png

Isn't this Obrador's third try for the president 

no idea, but Trump will surely help Mexico achieve a wildly populist regime change. 

1 minute ago, Seleskya said:

no idea, but Trump will surely help Mexico achieve a wildly populist regime change. 

I rather enjoyed Trump-Obrador badmouthing on Twitter last month. 

The Mexican president should spend more time fighting the high violent crimes and political corruption that exist in his country instead of fighting with our President. Set a priorities amigo

Well, that's nice and idealistic. In the meantime, polls show Obrador has a double-digit lead in the race. 

13 hours ago, Stephen said:

remember that cat in 2013 elections when Morris the cat's bid to become mayor of the Mexican city of Xalapa. Had a slogan 'Tired of voting for rats? Vote for a cat' 

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 8.30.02 PM.png

I can't see that image. 

13 hours ago, Kate Turlington said:

Leftist frontrunner is saying now more Mexico oil in foreign hands. he's leading polls for the July presidential elections. So that means reviewing the contracts already made. Maybe hot air, maybe not. Just like the wall. Tit for tat. 

Well, I don't think the ending of monopoly worked out as it planned. I'm not sure it's all hot air, but I would guess that Pemex is not capable of developing its massive reserves all by itself. Foreign companies, most notably shell, still bid in the auctions, so I'm guessing these companies did their due diligence, banking on a change of heart by the presidential candidate, or banking on him not getting into office.