Douglas Buckland

The Further Tariff Increase on Chinese Goods.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:42 PM, Douglas Buckland said:

Perhaps you are correct Manfred, regarding a 'multilateral approach', but I have not seen much enthusiasm from other countries to form a coalition to confront China regarding any trade imbalances, intellectual property theft, and so forth.

From what I can see, every other trading partner would rather continue the status quo as opposed to confronting China.

It could be surmised that other countries, Europe especially, agree to some extent with what Trump is attempting to accomplish, but are afraid of the Chinese response and will simply wait and see how it is eventually resolved.  

If you check out the Chinese import/export trade figures you will find that overall China figures are not nearly as skewed as the US/China or EU/China figures suggest. What does that tell you? overall a 300billion difference. The only alliance that the US could form is with the EU, but hey. The US is sanctioning German companies for involvement in Nordstream. Hard to form alliances when you sanction your friends because they want something cheaper than the US has to offer. And TBH, using sanctions as a weapon in an effort to gain market share in oil and gas amongst other products won't gain too many friends. Not trying to knock the US but I tend to agree with Manfred that the strategies of the US and EU are flawed. We live in high cost countries where wages are high and productivity not as good as it could be. I wonder how the US is going to handle the rise of India when it comes.

Get the impression that Trump (protectionism) has come far too late, and the damage is done.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, SERWIN said:

And that is what it all boils down to, running a government is actually a BUSINESS. You bring money in and you spend money on the country. And for so long the trade deals we have had sucked, always an advantage to the other country at our expense. I am surprised Trump hasn't called the loss of manufacturing in the US a national security emergency, because from where I sit it sure looks like one. Who's going to make all the stuff we will need if war breaks out? China? What if we are at war with them? Huh!! I have watched the manufacturing in this country go away in spectacular fashion ever since that idiot Clinton signed that crappy NAFTA deal. And joining the WTO? What a joke, everyone in the world should have been up in arms as soon as the whole thing started, all the unfair practices by the Chinese gov't. But everyone stood around like idiots and let it happen. Now everyone's economies are somehow tied to the Chinese in various ways and it will be hard to undo the damage they have done to the rest of the world's economies. It will take time, but we can ween ourselves from them.....

And we have the Demo's running for POTUS, and out of their mouths are actually coming the words "If we are elected we will scale down the trade war with China" and the very next sentence that comes out of their mouths is "If I am elected we will be much harder on the Chinese than Trump".

The duality of these people is amazing!!

• Upvote 4

On 8/8/2019 at 6:49 AM, JR EWING said:

The only alliance that the US could form is with the EU, but hey. The US is sanctioning German companies for involvement in Nordstream. Hard to form alliances when you sanction your friends because they want something cheaper than the US has to offer. And TBH, using sanctions as a weapon in an effort to gain market share in oil and gas amongst other products won't gain too many friends.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/633024-america-has-no-permanent-friends-or-enemies-only-interests