Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Black Hole

Women Are Paid 22% Less Than Men At Shell

Guest Black Hole

"Shell said the main reasons for the gender pay gap were because fewer women were in senior leadership roles or higher paid technical positions."

Is this statistical proof that women are discriminated against in the oil and gas workforce, or is this proof that as girls, women are less likely to pursue STEM education? Or that women are less likely to pursue senior leadership roles?

With a workforce as large as Shell's (~100,000) the 22% cannot be an anomaly.

What say you?

Kind of afraid of getting into this topic, honestly. If they're getting paid less for the same job, then clearly something's awry. If this is an overall figure that reflects who's in what position, I think that it's possible that fewer women than men pursue the tech, but I also think that's changing. It's definitely worth looking into further ... 

brave of you @TraderTate to chime in on this dangerous subject ... :) I think it's difficult to discuss this from a strictly oil industry standpoint. But this like is interesting: 

https://www.themuse.com/advice/the-latest-stats-on-women-in-tech

According to this, women actually dominate the professional workforce, but when it comes to tech, the numbers aren't so impressive. Only 28% of all BS degree-holders in computer science are women. But apparently, you're right--that is changing.