DD

Ford Shows Most Powerful Street-Legal Mustang With 760 HP

The most powerful street-legal Ford Mustang ever built will go on sale this fall. A 5.2-liter supercharged V8 will crank out 760 horsepower in the 2020 Shelby GT500. The new version has a beefed-up suspension and brakes. It also has a seven-speed automatic transmission that Ford promises will shift smoothly on commutes and quickly on the track. The engine is hand-built at a Michigan factory and comes with unique pistons and other parts. It can crank out 625 foot-pounds of torque, a measure of rotational force.
The Shelby GT500 can go from zero to 60 miles per hour (97 kilometers per hour) in around 3.5 seconds, although Ford didn’t release a precise number. That’s slightly slower than the mid-engine 2020 Chevrolet Corvette, which General Motors says will do it in under three seconds.

image.png.3cbf840273bebc63932e21444dfc55b8.png

What kind of mileage does it get?

• Haha 1

Are they so far behind on developing Electric or Hydrogen alternatives that they are still pushing gas-guzzlers on to the market?

1 minute ago, damirUSBiH said:

The Shelby GT500 can go from zero to 60 miles per hour (97 kilometers per hour) in around 3.5 seconds, although Ford didn’t release a precise number. That’s slightly slower than the mid-engine 2020 Chevrolet Corvette, which General Motors says will do it in under three seconds.

Some guy built an electric battery motorcycle that will do 0-60 in 0.9 seconds.  Total rocket sled!

• Upvote 1

I shudder to think of how long the bottom main bearings are going to last on this beast.  What, change them out after seven runs down the track?  Wouldn't surprise me. 

Not exactly a practical car, that's for sure. 

Zero to sixty under four seconds... Nice machine. But, the maximum speed limit in America is 70mph 😀

10 minutes ago, BALBOA said:

Zero to sixty under four seconds... Nice machine. But, the maximum speed limit in America is 70mph 😀

Not in Montana!   Daylight speed limit:  "Reasonable and proper".  SO they interpret that to mean anything up to around 130 is perfectly reasonable........

P.S.  Nighttime is 55 mph. So you don't whack a buffalo. 

On 8/5/2019 at 10:50 PM, Jan van Eck said:

Not in Montana!   Daylight speed limit:  "Reasonable and proper".  SO they interpret that to mean anything up to around 130 is perfectly reasonable........

I doubt someone who can afford a car like that takes legal speed limits seriously all the time.

Here in Malaysia, legal speed limits are more of a suggestion.😆

On 8/5/2019 at 10:33 PM, Jan van Eck said:

I shudder to think of how long the bottom main bearings are going to last on this beast.  What, change them out after seven runs down the track?  Wouldn't surprise me. 

Hopefully Jan they have engineered the car with durability in mind.

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2019 at 10:30 PM, joze44 said:

Are they so far behind on developing Electric or Hydrogen alternatives that they are still pushing gas-guzzlers on to the market?

No, they are simply building what will sell and what people want. If this annoys you, go buy a Tesla and stop trying to shove your green agenda down others throats.

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2019 at 10:30 AM, joze44 said:

Ford has an extra-strong pick-up truck they are offering to the market - all electric.  They don't push these specialty vehicles; they are basically marketing tools for their engineering department, to keep the consumer base focused on the brand name.  Ford does not expect to make money on these; just for show and a very few sales. 

On 8/5/2019 at 10:33 PM, Jan van Eck said:

Practicality and need do not compete with want and desire when it comes to toys like this. Chances are that whoever can afford one of these has a 'practical' vehicle in the stable as well.

Personally I do not NEED another motorcycle....but I am slobbering with desire for one of those new Indian FTR1200S's (which are not presently available in Malaysia 😡). Has absolutely nothing to do with practicality!

5 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

but I am slobbering with desire

Well, as long as all that slobbering with desire is not for some totally impractical woman!    (Those end up costing you a serious ton of coin.)

20 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

Well, as long as all that slobbering with desire is not for some totally impractical woman!    (Those end up costing you a serious ton of coin.)

Motorcycles are much less maintenance intensive for sure!

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2019 at 10:30 PM, francoba said:

What kind of mileage does it get?

If you need to ask that question...I don't think that this is a car for you...😆

5 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

If you need to ask that question...I don't think that this is a car for you...😆

A railway locomotive will do you five gallons a mile...... 

On 8/5/2019 at 10:31 PM, Jan van Eck said:

Some guy built an electric battery motorcycle that will do 0-60 in 0.9 seconds.  Total rocket sled!

Seeing how these electric bikes get max torque as soon as you hit the throttle, I wonder;

What keeps the front wheel on the ground?

What keeps the back of your helmet from smashing into the asphalt?

Would be an interesting ride...

1 minute ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Seeing how these electric bikes get max torque as soon as you hit the throttle, I wonder;

What keeps the front wheel on the ground?

What keeps the back of your helmet from smashing into the asphalt?

I don't know.  Some electric bicycles are set up with electric motors in both wheels, so the torque is split.  I think in the case of the super-fast bike the frame (chassis) is lengthened and the rider and battery sit way forward, to act as countervailing torque arms against the rear wheel torque.  Also the rider "burns rubber" at the start to have the wheel outside traction limits before slightly releasing the throttle to have that tire bite the pavement. As the motor is already turning it is less than total start torque.  I agree that front lift and rotation is a big issue; obviously the builder came up with a solution, as the thing just takes off like a rocket sled!

Sorry, couldn't find the video of the original.  If I come across it again, I will post the link.  Cheers. 

I'd like to try one of these things. The new electric Harley looks fun. But when you are riding in a country like Malaysia they just don't make sense. Getting caught out in the interior with no charging infrastructure is not something I am prepared to do....carbon footprint be damned!😂

On 8/5/2019 at 8:50 AM, Jan van Eck said:

Its called the Big Sky Country for a reason LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

I'd like to try one of these things. The new electric Harley looks fun. But when you are riding in a country like Malaysia they just don't make sense. Getting caught out in the interior with no charging infrastructure is not something I am prepared to do....carbon footprint be damned!😂

You would to have it carried on the back of a dirty diesel spewing old truck

On 8/6/2019 at 9:57 PM, Douglas Buckland said:

I doubt someone who can afford a car like that takes legal speed limits seriously all the time.

Here in Malaysia, legal speed limits are more of a suggestion.😆

If driving these are an issue in the US , as you suggested it shouldnt be really in some parts.... then one can always take them to the race track or your own private road or take order one in the UAE, Q8, or KSA and drive at top speed all you want LOL . You can use it as a company vehicle ;)

On 8/5/2019 at 10:38 AM, BALBOA said:

Not in Texas baby. 90 MPH on the way to work.

On 8/5/2019 at 7:38 AM, BALBOA said:

If you are driving 70 anywhere west of the Mississippi you are being passed by 99% of all vehicles.