Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PT

Hezbollah vows to defend Lebanon's 'oil and gas rights

Lebanon’s Hezbollah pledged to confront any threats to the country’s “oil and gas rights” after Israeli comments urging firms not to bid on a Lebanese offshore energy tender.

I thought Lebanon’s cabinet already approved a bid by a consortium of France’s Total, Italy’s ENI and Russia’s Novatek.

All this political and religious tension is nothing new. Political paralysis and violence have held up decision-making since the assassination in 2005 of Rafik Hariri, a former prime minister. Religious factions have been jostling for influence in the government and parliament, where seats are distributed along confessional lines. Sectarian rivalries have grown since the outbreak of Syria’s civil war, with competing power centers supporting opposite sides in the conflict.

Lebanon is facing more problems. Even if manage to solve its problems such as political and religious divisions and make peace with Israel, will they be able to find the market for its oil and gas?

Yes, but now Aoun and Berri (Christian and Shi'ite, respectively, and forever rivals) are heating things up again. I'll be really shocked if exploration actually gets off the ground in this climate. It reminds me of Bosnia, with a slightly faster pulse. 

22 hours ago, Kate Turlington said:

Yes, but now Aoun and Berri (Christian and Shi'ite, respectively, and forever rivals) are heating things up again. I'll be really shocked if exploration actually gets off the ground in this climate. It reminds me of Bosnia, with a slightly faster pulse. 

Yeah, I'm thinking that with as far as these two are apart, this is a non-starter.

The impression that Israel is preparing public opinion for a “preventive strike” that it would initiate along it's border with Lebanon....

Tensions are always present... Netanyahu told Putin Israel would act militarily if the international community won't act to stop Iranian entrenchment in Syria & the building of precision missile factories in Lebanon..

Obviously, the stake is much bigger

Middle East is always in flames. Tired of hearing about their never ending wars.

Possible attack on Iran will trigger ww3 and believe me it's a opening door of hell.

Yeah. The cost of such an adventure will be catastrophic. Considering the size of the region and all sides (population, etc)

Let's say then that for the moment, its biggest number of victims concerns the Palestinians who are not in the over-armed category, in particular the civilians. Finally, whether it concerns Israel or another state, we must not wish war on anyone, diplomacy is a better tool.

So in short Iran's regime wishes to see its allies in Iraq and Lebanon "win" the upcoming legislative elections to insure Tehran's control over these two countries via "democratic vote."

Pictures from last war, 2006, are still „fresh“. Unfortunately, it's again a playing with fire...

Peace is the only winner, but I'm not so optimistic in this case...

This Hezbollah 'threat' is internal politics because Aoun and Berri are at it again. Christian and Shi'ite eternal rivals. This is Berri taking on Aoun, and that's why Lebanon's oil is never going to see the light of day. 

The Israeli threat is wonderfully convenient for Berri. 

U.S. between Lebanon and Israel : 

" The United States Department of Defense delivered 200 MK-19 Automatic Grenade Launchers, valued at over $300,000 to the Lebanese Armed Forces to assist LAF’s efforts to counter-terrorism and defend Lebanon"