Dr.Masih Rezvani

Oil is easier to sell than potatoes on a street corner.

Ok, I'll bite...

How is oil easier to sell than potatoes on a street corner?

I am not familiar with people selling potatoes on a street corner, so the comparison to selling oil is a bit mystifying to me.

It is an interesting rhetorical question.   It would be location-specific.  In America, for example, potatoes are typically sold in sacks at the grocery store: Little sacks for those small fingerling or Baby Dutch Yellow potatoes, and larger five-pound sacks for the large potatoes that are used for steaming or baking or making French Fries with.  Now if you were to attempt to go sell these at some street corner in a city or suburb in America, I think you will be having a conversation with the Police soon enough.  People will think you have stolen them, or you do not have a Health Permit!  Where you could sell them retail by yourself would be at a Farmer's Market in the countryside.

Now if you were in say Iran then perhaps you can sell potatoes in the Bazaar and nobody would question you, hey, never been there, what do I know.

Selling Oil can be done by picking up the telephone and calling a Buyer or a Broker. You could sell 250,000 barrels with a phone call, so yes, that would make it easier to sell than potatoes on the street corner!  Or you could be a Trader in the commodities Exchange and sell shiploads of oil with nothing more than a flick of a key on a computer keyboard.  Or you could be a wholesaler in New York Harbor and sell oil by the bargeload at 44,000 gallons per barge.  So Yes, in that sense oil is easier to sell than potatoes. 

It is an interesting question.  Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself and what provoked such an unusual question?  We would love to hear from you.  Cheers,  Jan van Eck in the USA.

• Like 1

I am Masih Razvani
An noble Iranian
I am an Iranian who against to so many murders, robberies and pillages in the name of democracy.
An Iranian with more than 2,500 years of culture .
Just when others in the world were homeless and we gave them shelter .
I am the son of Cyrus, the creator of the Human Rights Charter
I'm a child of Damavand
I am the son of seven tribesmen who, if they be unite, overthrow seventy walls of Jericho
I am a child of a land that for thousands of years, because of the resources it holds in its heart, internal and external enemies are constantly drinking the blood of its youth.
I am a child of the land of peace.
I am a child of Zarathustra
I mean exactly the offices on one of the cross street in California that trade millions of dollars for millions of barrels of oil with one phone.
There we can easily say that selling oil is easier than selling potatoes on the street.
Do we know at what price the oil is traded here, in the Middle East ????
At the price of war, at the pretext of democracy, at the cost of the homelessness of millions people , at the cost of killing children and men and women
Elsewhere blood is shed
Elsewhere, oil traded easy to do with cup of coffee .I am Masih Razvani
An noble Iranian
I am an Iranian who against to so many murders, robberies and pillages in the name of democracy.
I'm a child of Damavand
I am the son of seven tribesmen who, if they be unite, overthrow seventy walls of Jericho
I am a child of a land that for thousands of years, because of the resources it holds in its heart, internal and external enemies are constantly drinking the blood of its youth.
I mean exactly the offices on one of the cross street in California that trade millions of dollars for millions of barrels of oil with one phone.
There we can easily say that selling oil is easier than selling potatoes on the street.
At the price of war, at the pretext of democracy, at the cost of the homelessness of millions people , at the cost of killing children and men and women
Elsewhere blood is shed
Elsewhere, oil traded easy to do with cup of coffee .
Do you know me more ????
I want know you more 

I am Masih Razvani
An noble Iranian
I'm a child of Damavand - Si yo Se pol Of isfahan 
Elsewhere blood is shed
Elsewhere, oil traded easy to do with cup of coffee .

Do you want know me more ?

I want know you more Please

Nope Doc, that’s enough information, over and over again, for me to get a feel for who you are.

• Great Response! 1

6 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Nope Doc, that’s enough information, over and over again, for me to get a feel for who you are.

Do not judge too strongly, guy could be pissed off.

It is not a fault of Iranians that they populate a country with such bad geology (lots of hydrocarbons, most in the world, in total more than Saudi Arabia, reserves of many areas still not assessed) and bad geography (land bridge between Indian Ocean and Caspian Sea, Western Gate to Asia).

True curse of oil.

Hello Doctor.

Im Bob!  Son of Bob and brother to Rick Stacy John and Jennifer.

Oil is not easier to sell than potatoes on a street corner.

Refine it into gasoline and it is sold on every street corner in the modern world.

You seem to carry a lot of historical angst with you.

• Haha 2

(edited)

I have not sold either on a street corner, but shorting oil online is easy. I'll get some spuds in and let you know my findings?

Edited by Guest

(edited)

10 hours ago, Marcin said:

Do not judge too strongly, guy could be pissed off.

It is not a fault of Iranians that they populate a country with such bad geology (lots of hydrocarbons, most in the world, in total more than Saudi Arabia, reserves of many areas still not assessed) and bad geography (land bridge between Indian Ocean and Caspian Sea, Western Gate to Asia).

True curse of oil.

It would be alot more cursed WITHOUT oil!

Edited by Douglas Buckland
Illiteracy!

I've had a few Iranian friends over the years.

One was left stranded in Houston when the Shah fell and his parents could no longer put him through college.

One was left stranded in Texas during the late 1980's property bust and had to drive a cab to feed his kids.

Both of them were easily angered. For the first one, I could understand what was going on. The second one blew up when I told him what had happened to the first one. Both of these people had university educations and middle to upper class upbringings.

"An noble Iranian
I am an Iranian who against to so many murders, robberies and pillages in the name of democracy."

Generally this starts to look like government sponsored trolls on social media.

I am an American who against to so many murders, robberies and pillages in the name of democracy, or in the name of anything else. Generally I'm against murders, robberies, and pillages, period. This tends to be true for the vast majority of people.

Welcome to the Western world, where people don't get locked up, tortured, and/or hanged for criticizing their government. At least, not most of the time.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Meredith Poor said:

"An noble Iranian
I am an Iranian who against to so many murders, robberies and pillages in the name of democracy."

Generally this starts to look like government sponsored trolls on social media.

Jan said this months ago, hence the fiery rage haha

I am a noble Yank who would desperately like to see other nationalities step up to the plate and solve their own problems, to the best of their abilities, without calling on the US to help sort it out or simply immigrating illegally or selectively claiming asylum (selection based on locations welfare system) in another country and leaving the burden of sorting out their country’s ills to others.

I am a noble Yank who does not believe that a nation swimming in oil needs to pursue nuclear ‘power’ at the same time the standard of living in that nation has been falling for decades.

I am a noble Yank who believes in freedom of religion and sees a theocracy as silly form of government.

I am a noble Yank who is tired of listening to people criticize my country, my countrymen and my government...and then demanding the right to immigrate there.

Finally, I am a noble Yank who is extremely annoyed at those who have been allowed to immigrate that refuse to assimilate and insist on setting up communities exactly like those they left!

End of noble rant...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

I am a noble Yank who is tired of listening to people criticize my country, my countrymen and my government...and then demanding the right to immigrate there.

Haha yeah that's a good one.