Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom Kirkman

Squeezing oil from rock

New research is being done on new forms of enhanced oil recovery for conventional oil wells.

Squeezing oil from rock

At a time when much of the focus in the U.S. is on extracting oil from shale and other unconventional sources, the Energy & Environmental Research Center (EERC) at the University of North Dakota is exploring new ways of pulling oil from conventional resources.

Conventional geologic formations contain oil-bearing rock that’s more porous and more permeable than unconventional resources. But what researchers learn from studying them can also be applied to unconventional formations throughout the Williston Basin, which extends into Canada and covers parts of North Dakota, Montana and South Dakota, said Ed Steadman, EERC vice president for research.

The old way of drilling vertical wells into conventional resources has given way to the horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing techniques used in the Bakken and Three Forks unconventional shale formations, where more than 95 percent of North Dakota’s oil extraction occurs today. The EERC’s projects return to the much deeper Red River formation — composed of rock similar to limestone — originally targeted by the oil and gas industry.

“It’s a huge enhanced oil recovery target that’s estimated to be 400 million barrels of potentially recoverable oil,” Steadman noted. “Even though it’s conventional — not the Bakken or Three Forks — it’s a large target that would have dramatic economic impact. If we could increase our conventional production, that just benefits everyone.”

Each 1 percent increase in extraction translates into $1 billion of oil production, he said.

“That’s what enhanced oil recovery is all about: squeezing that last bit of oil out,” Steadman explained.

Advanced oil recovery

The EERC recently received two contract awards for $8 million each from the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Advanced Technologies for Enhanced Oil Recovery program for research projects on conventional geologic formations in North Dakota and Montana. 

• Upvote 2

Good description of a very thick (700 feet) conventional drilling target in the Red River formation. I’ve had a portfolio there for a long time and  have always thought the RR limestone (an oil-soaked sink, and a tremendous “trap”) to be more attractive than the tombstone rock. Thanks for posting the article, Tom. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2019 at 6:37 PM, Yoshiro Kamamura said:

A commendable effort. Let's not forget the water and other requirements this draconic effort to prop up unsustainable economy will require. 

Oilshale-energycontent-udall.pdf 10.1 kB · 1 download

Good day Yoshiro, I'd love to take a look at the pdf you dropped but I can't seem to open it. If you could upload it again or direct me to the link where i can read it from, I'd be grateful. Thanks

Per the Coal issue:  LOVE seein this type of aggressive effort to bring technology and new ways of thinkin too the table. It's just absolute Non-sense that the US should 'sit on' massive reserves of energy just too 'appease' some self entitled Twits!  (O'Bama; yes I'm talkin too & about you! 

Ditto for the massive Oil reserves the country enjoys!  Worst danged choice this country ever made (well, one of 'em at least) was when we stopped bein a 'Producer' and started bein a user. When we did that we became no better than some Heroin addict on the street and the Saudis knew it.  So thankful Pres. Trump has turned us loose!  Now make no mistake about it, there's gonna be some discomfort while MBS & Putin have their lil p!ssin contest.  Hopefully it's the ruin of 'em both!

As for the UN crowd; they can go pack sand.  That Paris Climate FARCE was nothin more than a Money & Power grab. The way that POS was structured the Only country who would of had their feet held too the fire was us!  

Now don't anyone misunderstand me. I'm all For clean air & water!  I'm retired from the Wastewater industry. I'm all about keeping it clean. But I'm Not gonna see my country held at gun point or under another's bootheel because they 'take exception' too our Exceptionalism!

“The old way of drilling vertical wells into conventional resources has given way to the horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing techniques used in the Bakken and Three Forks unconventional shale formations, where more than 95 percent of North Dakotaoil extraction occurs today.”

Here we go again! Apparently the shale oil miracle resulted in fantastic new drilling techniques that were then utilized in conventional drilling.

This, in a word, is bullshit. Horizontal drilling techniques and hydraulic fracturing technology were in use, tried & tested, and brought to their present level of sophistication LONG before shale oil was even a viable play!