Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FB

What to tell my students

I am a shop teacher in the Permian Oil Patch teaching Construction Trades and Welding.  With the discussion on a possible down turn in the price of oil, what do I tell my students to encourage them to complete a High School Diploma and then a certification program?

Thanks in advance.

That a Dem might win the election and a lot of infracture will be needed if flared nat gas is not allowed.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, fbeverage said:

I am a shop teacher in the Permian Oil Patch teaching Construction Trades and Welding.  With the discussion on a possible down turn in the price of oil, what do I tell my students to encourage them to complete a High School Diploma and then a certification program?

Thanks in advance.

Learn Chinese ?

2 hours ago, fbeverage said:

Thanks in advance.

Plenty of electrical and welding work in the wind sector which also has a massive presence in Texas. 

A skilled welder can do well, and it's not tied to the oil industry, although it might seem so in your neck of the woods. Excellent trade to be good at. There is a bit of talent to it, can't just be taught. Kind of like music, most can be taught the basics, and the truly excellent are amazing. Requires a golden arm and good eyes.

Also consider contacting NTMA, the National Tooling and Machining Association. 

9 hours ago, fbeverage said:

Thanks in advance.

in a long run price of oil will go up - in part due to slowdown in US shale patch. But plenty of activity is likely to remain in Permian. With cost of tertiary education in US through the roof and shortage of skill workers - I'd give your students reassurance they are on a right path of future-proofing themselves

(edited)

10 hours ago, fbeverage said:

Thanks in advance.

Tell them that in the long run they will have to turn to natural gas technology. Oil will not be their lifelong job. Their training in natural gas may even be more marketable now. 

Tell them to always use the online and free Occupational Outlook Handbook which is revised annually. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/

Tell them that learning is a lifelong process and they should live up to their full potential. 

Tell them that there is an abundance of free education.and to not go into debt. Tell them to make their money work for them. See https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nkAnzn9R7NH0LqihEeeq4be4ckBgk70YkGKbHsrnbTU/edit

Careers in the Natural Gas and Oil Industry https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lrq_1NJ1T0y8hbsnBj-tJtVEUmvXXMQa526d9pw-O4M/edit  This needs updating and you are welcome to make suggestions. 

Edited by ronwagn
added reference

10 hours ago, fbeverage said:

Thanks in advance.

Tell them to go back to school and get an education or they will end their days in the oil patch and will be posting on this forum in 30 years....

• Haha 2

(edited)

19 hours ago, fbeverage said:

Thanks in advance.

Markets and needs change continually now that the global economy works a little faster. Advise them to specialize in multiple areas of the trade so it increases job security and they become flexible in downturns. It is no longer possible to just specialize in one field of a trade but they need another branch of it that they are good at in case needs change. It bolsters their resume but also helps to secure their job as a valuable employee. For example, I am an ICU Trauma nurse. But sometimes there is not enough patients to go around, so someone gets cut back. So I also specialize in hearts and also neurosurgical (brain) patients. I also have certifications in these to help show that I am on top of the field. The basic job is nursing. But the specialties are the trauma, heart, and neuro patients. This secures my job to the best of my ability while always have a "parachute" backup in case things change (such as bringing outside contractors-H1B visa people). This way you can also be in a field that is making good money at the time, but have a safety net just in case of market changes. This type of thinking has saved my bacon more than once. Good luck. 

Edited by JoanofArc

On 8/20/2019 at 11:53 PM, fbeverage said:

Thanks in advance.

At the end of the day, regardless of what happens in the oil patch, your students will need their high school diploma, at a minimum, to compete in the economy.

Getting certified in ANY trade is a wise idea. University in not for everyone, many can't afford to go, and many university degrees are not marketable to begin with - we will ALWAYS need good tradesmen. 

Joining the military is also a good option. Young people can get discipline and direction, get training is a field, then access to the GI Bill.

Just my thoughts.