Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BR

Strong, the Strongest: Audi To Join Mercedes, BMW Development Alliance

Audi (NSUG.DE) is set to join an alliance with rivals Daimler (DAIGn.DE) and BMW (BMWG.DE) to develop advanced driving assistance systems, German weekly Wirtschaftswoche said on Thursday. The companies are developing highly automated driving functions to enable so-called level 3 autonomous driving on highways as well as automated parking.
Audi, a unit of Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) will announce the alliance at the Frankfurt auto show in early September, Wirtschaftswoche said. Volkswagen will continue to develop fully autonomous vehicles in cooperation with Ford (F.N), Wirtschaftswoche said.

• Like 1

A cartel 😀

The big three at one place...🇩🇪 

3 minutes ago, joze44 said:

The big three at one place...🇩🇪 

The market establishes the rules: so, this would be more competitive...

Does anyone say "diesel, air pollution, cheating ..."

2 minutes ago, damirUSBiH said:

Does anyone say "diesel, air pollution, cheating ..."

since you are on the wrong track, I will remind you on topic: " ... Audi (NSUG.DE) is set to join an alliance with rivals Daimler (DAIGn.DE) and BMW (BMWG.DE) to develop advanced driving assistance systems..."

• Like 1

(edited)

5 hours ago, BALBOA said:

Audi (NSUG.DE) is set to join an alliance with rivals Daimler (DAIGn.DE) and BMW (BMWG.DE) to develop advanced driving assistance systems, German weekly Wirtschaftswoche said on Thursday. The companies are developing highly automated driving functions to enable so-called level 3 autonomous driving on highways as well as automated parking.
Audi, a unit of Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) will announce the alliance at the Frankfurt auto show in early September, Wirtschaftswoche said. Volkswagen will continue to develop fully autonomous vehicles in cooperation with Ford (F.N), Wirtschaftswoche said.

I see a real future for this in trucking. There are many options available. Night driving, limited lanes, limited times,one driver leading a convoy, hub to hub with human drivers for the last few miles. Drivers are well paid and suffer from fatigue, the electronics could probably replace many of them and the old timers are retiring. There is a shortage of drivers. This may soon become a union and political issue. 

Edited by ronwagn
error
  • Like 1

They already lost the autonomous car race to Tesla. Google, Apple, GM, and Uber are ahead of them too. Maybe some others. Germans not good at sw engineering.

20 minutes ago, shadowkin said:

They already lost the autonomous car race to Tesla. Google, Apple, GM, and Uber are ahead of them too. Maybe some others. Germans not good at sw engineering.

None of them have been sold yet though. Right?

This is why Tesla should not set up its European operations in Germany or any of its colonies (EU- provinces). The German - AutoMafia will ensure TESLA is destroyed.

If it wants a European manufacturing base the UK would be a good choice - more flexible labour laws and Honda have a factory for sale with a fully trained automotive workforce. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NickW said:

This is why Tesla should not set up its European operations in Germany or any of its colonies (EU- provinces). The German - AutoMafia will ensure TESLA is destroyed.

If it wants a European manufacturing base the UK would be a good choice - more flexible labour laws and Honda have a factory for sale with a fully trained automotive workforce. 

My guess is there's little chance Tesla will setup in the UK, in fact I suspect the German legacy car makers will be knocking on Tesla's door before too long and I doubt they will want to damage Tesla at this point. They lost that war with the Model 3 and now it's going to be quite useful for them to watch Tesla as they bring in new products and maybe grab a few pointers from them here and there as they build their own EVs and of course, the EU is a much bigger market that the UK so why would anyone want to build their initial factory there if there are substantial barriers to the larger EU market and the plan is to sell to all countries in the region.

(edited)

44 minutes ago, David Jones said:

My guess is there's little chance Tesla will setup in the UK, in fact I suspect the German legacy car makers will be knocking on Tesla's door before too long and I doubt they will want to damage Tesla at this point. They lost that war with the Model 3 and now it's going to be quite useful for them to watch Tesla as they bring in new products and maybe grab a few pointers from them here and there as they build their own EVs and of course, the EU is a much bigger market that the UK so why would anyone want to build their initial factory there if there are substantial barriers to the larger EU market and the plan is to sell to all countries in the region.

And there in gain the information to destroy TESLA along with a helping hand from Mutti Merkel or her successors. 

Also Norway and the UK combined are a similar size market for EV's than the rest of the EU combined. 

Thirdly the UK is the EU's biggest car importer.  If they place tariffs on UK imports the UK will reciprocate (esp now we have a PM with a backbone) so I suspect motor vehicles will be no tariff or very low tariff goods on trade. 

Edited by NickW

On 8/22/2019 at 1:01 PM, ronwagn said:

None of them have been sold yet though. Right?

Tesla offers level 3 autonomous. Their detractors may argue it's level 2. No German, Japanese or American car company offers that now. I know they've been buying smaller American sw companies to get this ability. Fully autonomous meaning no human involvement is level 5. Nobody has that.

I could be wrong but I just think Tesla has too much expertise in this field now for the legacy automakers to catch up. They were never known for their sw ability. What I think is different is sw. SW iterates so much faster than hw and I believe will be the determining factor in who wins the autonomous race. As Marc Andreesen said sw is eating the world.