Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ronwagn

Brexit Seems To Be Assured

(edited)

15 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

That is an interesting phenomenon.  What you tag as "cloggys" indeed have a Dutch passport.  Yet the Ruling is that they may not arrive without first having a housing arrangement.  What the Netherlands government seeks to avoid is large numbers of people coming back to Holland and no place to live, so end up camped out and demanding the govt supply them with a hotel room.  Housing is, and always has been, a critical issue in Holland, with insufficient stock to meet the expanding demand.  (Incidentally that policy would affect me also, as I have no housing there, should I seek "right of return."  Oh, well.)  thanks for sharing. 

The Netherlands gave them Dutch passports* - they are your problem. 

* the purpose in the first place was assuming they would take a one way trip to the Uk to form Ghettos here, which they did but now they are coming home. 

Cloggy - its like Jock, Taff, Geordie, Scouser, yank, Canuck etc. All in good spirit!

Edited by NickW
  • Like 1

(edited)

You know it @ronwagn

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, NickW said:

The Netherlands gave them Dutch passports* - they are your problem.

"Your"? Come on now.  I live in the USA.  OK, the problem of the Netherlands taxpayers, but not me, for sure. 

5 hours ago, NickW said:

Cloggy - its like Jock, Taff, Geordie, Scouser, yank, Canuck etc. All in good spirit!

Just to add to your substantial trivia knowledge bank, the term "yank" is an abbreviation of "Yankee," which again flows from the Dutch.  What happened was back in the ancient times the "proper Dutch" lived in New Amsterdam, now the Island of Manhattan.  The Dutch farmers lived up-island, off-island, and on into what is now Connecticut.  Those farmers all made cheese, of course, and lots of them were named "Jan"  So the Proper Dutch Merchants would quite derisively look down their noses at the country farmers and refer to them as "Jan Kaas," which is roughly translated as "Johnny Cheesehead."  Thus it is a term of some derision.  Now today, when an old-time resident of staid and proper Connecticut proudly announces he is a Yankee, what he is (unknowingly) saying is that he is a Jan Kaas, or a Cheesehead (!)   What happened was that the following English settlers couldn't properly pronounce Jan Kaas, so they bastardized it into JanKie, or Yankee.  

Today, of course, a "Yankee" is a Proper Blueblood, the aristocracy of New England - but only because they have absolutely no clue it was a put-down term from three hundred years ago.  Ya gotta love it!  Now, see what you learn from the correspondents on Oilprice?  Great stuff. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Before I left Saudi I went camping in the Empty Quarter with three European ambassadors. Brexit came up. Great trip, and being truly in the middle of nowhere, in the winter, on a clear cool night, few things more beautiful than the Milky Way so bright it throws a shadow.

I digress. The consensus of the ambassadors was the UK has always been an island nation. As ambassadors of smaller countries, they view the EU as a good thing, they benefit from it, but losing the UK wouldn't fundamentally mess anything up, in and of itself. LaPen in France, that was a fundamental threat to the EU, but whether the UK is in or out, nope.

Separately, one of them commented on Syrians applying for asylum. He/she found it amusing how in the appeal how many Syrian men were renouncing Islam and becoming homosexuals. What she/he didn't find amusing is when they weren't granted asylum how 50% of those rejected disappeared, walked out, and nobody knows were they are now. 

I suspect Brexit is against the UK's overall self-interest but they voted for it, and should go thru with it. And also accept the results of a Scot go/no go referendum. Northern Ireland is a sticky wicket. Of course it's been a mess for so many years. Ireland would happily take them it though I don't see that. And so much of the British cultural issues, it's leftovers from their empire, not EU. It is kind of ironic, a country build on trade and colonialism closing the borders.

For fun, go watch "Blinded By the Light." A movie based an English Pakistani being motivated by the songs of Bruce Springsteen. The time is mid-80s, but the issues are relevant today.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, NickW said:

I think the UK is actually a net exporter of cheese!

We can keep more of our lovely Stilton, Shropshire Blue, Wensleydale etc and the Dutch can keep their rubber (Edam )

Make mine aged cheddar with a pint of stout and some crackers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

Last I heard, that gigantic Austin Morris factory in Coventry got bulldozed, so kinda tough to re-start at this point.  Bentley got sold to the Germans, now they build it with some Volkswagen engine.  But be of good cheer; I will be happy to set up an electric bicycle plant and crank out a million machines a year for the locals.  That way you guys don't even have to pedal!  (I'll toss in a rain shield...)

Hang in there behind the Cliffs of Dover, hey, that even discouraged the Germans!  Rather solid rampart, all things considered.....

You kind of miss the old days when Jaguar, Lotus, Bristol, etc....were truly British. Maybe not the most reliable ride on the road, but very cool to be seen in!

I am an unrepentent American gearhead, but to me, the epitomy of styling was the old E-type Jags....just my opinion here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Douglas Buckland said:

but to me, the epitomy of styling was the old E-type Jags

But they spent half their life in the shop! (and over five times the price of a regular sports car).  Aargh!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

But they spent half their life in the shop! (and over five times the price of a regular sports car).  Aargh!

True, which is why I mentioned reliability, but when they were running they were damn nice rides!😆

• Rolling Eye 1

2 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

True, which is why I mentioned reliability, but when they were running they were damn nice rides!😆

Those little Triumphs and Sunbeams weren't outrageously expensive, were they? That TR6 had great lines!

• Like 1

Showing your age there Doug!

The Triumph Stag was a nice car too

talking of reliability have you noticed that DB5 never breaks down for James Bond!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

You kind of miss the old days when Jaguar, Lotus, Bristol, etc....were truly British. Maybe not the most reliable ride on the road, but very cool to be seen in!

I am an unrepentent American gearhead, but to me, the epitomy of styling was the old E-type Jags....just my opinion here.

Two of my cousins inherited their Dads which had been sitting in the garage for decades. Even with a seized Engine they got 35K (sterling) off a restorer. 

• Upvote 1

(edited)

23 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

Easy.  You slice off the wax!

Similar to unwrapping a Kraft single!

Unfortunately, in that case after you remove the plastic you just find more plastic.

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

Those silly Brits, dual overhead cams, 4 valves a cylinder, all-wheel disc brakes way back in the 40s. But to use a tech term, they went ugly early, launched before they fixed it. Those cars struggle with the basics, Lucas, the Prince of Darkness, the joke, put paper under the engine, if it's dry beware, it means the sump is bone dry. An MG person myself, actually like downdraft carburetors and they sync far easier than the reputation, though they are poor for cold starts. And why did they undercoat all their cars with rust in the factory? 

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2019 at 8:48 AM, Jan van Eck said:

Must have been my charming smile and dashing good looks that kept Customs from cutting the blocks of cheese all open to see what was inside all that cheese! 

Cutting open a wheel would be a dick move.  x-ray would be enough.

An acquaintance ordered a rare star wars figurine that was still in the original packaging.

Customs cut it open and taped it shut... he was more than a bit pissed. "All the value was in the packaging!"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

Similar to unwrapping a Kraft single!

Unfortunately, in that case after you remove the plastic you just find more plastic.

Kraft Singles are also known derogatorily as Cheese Food.  Not actual Cheese.  I grew up on a dairy farm, and wonder how people can actually eat those singles. 

Kind of like the flourescent orange "cheese" powder in Kraft Macaroni and Cheese boxes.  Not sure what that orange powder is, but I sure as heck don't consider it to be cheese.

1 hour ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Kraft Singles are also known derogatorily as Cheese Food.  Not actual Cheese.  I grew up on a dairy farm, and wonder how people can actually eat those singles. 

Kind of like the flourescent orange "cheese" powder in Kraft Macaroni and Cheese boxes.  Not sure what that orange powder is, but I sure as heck don't consider it to be cheese.

FDA won't let it be called processed cheese or even "cheese food" anymore - must be called "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product."

Pretty harsh when the FDA won't let you call it food let alone cheese.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

FDA won't let it be called processed cheese or even "cheese food" anymore - must be called "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product."

Pretty harsh when the FDA won't let you call it food let alone cheese.

Heh heh, now if only that could be required to be printed on the packaging, along with the nutrition information.

Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product is an apt label.

• Upvote 1

(edited)

46 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Heh heh, now if only that could be required to be printed on the packaging, along with the nutrition information.

It's literally law and already in place.  Best enjoyed with a Coors light and a hotdog.

29906170001_4395050205001_thumb-Buzz60video5624212482369713455.jpg

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Like 2

I'll stick to a bit of Cheddar I think.

8 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

7 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

It's literally law and already in place.  Best enjoyed with a Coors light and a hotdog.

29906170001_4395050205001_thumb-Buzz60video5624212482369713455.jpg

Here in Malaysia, the Kraft packaging is a bit different.  I took this photo in a local grocery store today:

20190901_154241.thumb.jpg.a52f76f5bec5ae6ef636fc117528f05e.jpg

"Processed Cheese"

"Hi - Calcium plus Vitamin D for strong bones"

• Haha 1

(edited)

And now people  complain proroguing Parliament is anti democratic......unlike allowing Brussels to introduce laws and statutes and control our courts and parliament is not, apparently! I still wonder if the Hokey Cokey is really what its all about. Under May the party would still be going on with one leg in and one leg out Oi !

nevertrust_2550b5d4-5c99-47b3-9647-a25e98ac358c_800x.png

Edited by zerogrid
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/31/2019 at 4:12 AM, Rob Plant said:

Showing your age there Doug!

The Triumph Stag was a nice car too

talking of reliability have you noticed that DB5 never breaks down for James Bond!

He led a charmed life!

(edited)

19 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Kind of like the flourescent orange "cheese" powder in Kraft Macaroni and Cheese boxes.  Not sure what that orange powdI er is, but I sure as heck don't consider it to be cheese.

Is all "American Cheese" just "cheese food"?  I never considered it anything but a cheap substitute for cheese. The free government cheese was good though. I got some indirectly as a gift. I don't know what kind of cheese it is.

I just had some Kraft Sharp Cheddar. It is a very poor substitute for good aged cheddar. It has a fair taste, but the consistency of rubber. Aged cheddar has a much better flavor, is crumbly and melts in your mouth. I have found the best prices for good cheeses at Aldi. They use European imports. Wisconsin aged sharp cheddar is good but expensive.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese This answered my question. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_cheese

Edited by ronwagn

4 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Is all "American Cheese" just "cheese food"?  I never considered it anything but a cheap substitute for cheese. The free government cheese was good though. I got some indirectly as a gift. I don't know what kind of cheese it is.

I just had some Kraft Sharp Cheddar. It is a very poor substitute for good aged cheddar. It has a fair taste, but the consistency of rubber. Aged cheddar has a much better flavor, is crumbly and melts in your mouth. I have found the best prices for good cheeses at Aldi. They use European imports. Wisconsin aged sharp cheddar is good but expensive.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese This answered my question. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_cheese

And then there is Kraft Velveeta...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta

Velveeta is a brand name for a processed cheese product that tastes like an American cheese, with a softer and smoother texture than non processed cheese. When melted, Velveeta keeps a fully integrated and evenly clump-free liquid texture. It was invented in 1918 by Emil Frey of the Monroe Cheese Company in Monroe, New York. In 1923, The Velveeta Cheese Company was incorporated as a separate company, and sold to Kraft Foods in 1927.  ...

... The product was advertised as a nutritious health food.  In the 1930s, Velveeta became the first cheese product to gain the American Medical Association's seal of approval. It was reformulated in 1953 as a "cheese spread", but as of 2002 Velveeta must be labeled in the United States as a "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product."  ...

... In 2002, the FDA issued a warning letter to Kraft that Velveeta was being sold with packaging that described it as a "Pasteurized Process Cheese Spread", which the FDA claimed was false because the product listed milk protein concentrate (MPC) in its ingredients. Velveeta is now sold in the US as a "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product", a term for which the FDA does not maintain a standard of identity, and which therefore may contain milk protein concentrate.  ...

• Haha 1