cv

Alaska Well Sets Onshore Record

A supermajor has set an onshore North American drilling record for longest extended-reach well, Houston-based technology startup Corva reported Friday.

The undisclosed international oil and gas producer drilled a 32,468-foot (9,896-meter) well in July in the National Petroleum Reserve of Alaska’s North Slope, according to Corva, whose real-time drilling and completion analytics technology was used during the operation.

Extreme torque and pressure conditions create complex challenges to drilling long lateral wellbores. Corva noted the North Slope operator used real-time analytics to monitor and respond to hazardous conditions while drilling and tripping pipe – the critical process of removing and replacing the entire drill string.

Although longer extended-reach horizontal wells maximize wellbore distance through a producing pay zone and enhance production and economic return, long horizontal well sections create extreme torque and drag conditions, Corva explained in a written statement emailed to Rigzone. Such conditions strain a drilling rig’s operational limits and can lead to a drill string break or other catastrophic events, the firm stated.

According to Corva, the Alaska operator used a mobile torque and drag (T&D) application to avoid the time-consuming process of manually plotting T&D conditions by automating data collection and analysis while drilling. Monitoring hole conditions in real-time enabled the drilling team to rapidly adjust weight on bit and torque transfer as needed to prevent stuck pipe and twist-offs, the tech firm continued. Also, the app reportedly provided higher torque and drag data frequency while tripping-in casing, allowing the crew to quickly identify trends and spot deteriorating hole conditions.

“From unconventional factory drilling in the Permian to extended reach conventional wells in the North Slope, Corva is driving drilling optimization across North America,” Ryan Dawson, Corva’s founder and CEO stated. “We’re thrilled to have been a part of the team that broke the record for longest onshore well.”

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ceo_energemsier said:

A supermajor has set an onshore North American drilling record for longest extended-reach well, Houston-based technology startup Corva reported Friday.

The undisclosed international oil and gas producer drilled a 32,468-foot (9,896-meter) well in July in the National Petroleum Reserve of Alaska’s North Slope, according to Corva, whose real-time drilling and completion analytics technology was used during the operation.

Extreme torque and pressure conditions create complex challenges to drilling long lateral wellbores. Corva noted the North Slope operator used real-time analytics to monitor and respond to hazardous conditions while drilling and tripping pipe – the critical process of removing and replacing the entire drill string.

Although longer extended-reach horizontal wells maximize wellbore distance through a producing pay zone and enhance production and economic return, long horizontal well sections create extreme torque and drag conditions, Corva explained in a written statement emailed to Rigzone. Such conditions strain a drilling rig’s operational limits and can lead to a drill string break or other catastrophic events, the firm stated.

According to Corva, the Alaska operator used a mobile torque and drag (T&D) application to avoid the time-consuming process of manually plotting T&D conditions by automating data collection and analysis while drilling. Monitoring hole conditions in real-time enabled the drilling team to rapidly adjust weight on bit and torque transfer as needed to prevent stuck pipe and twist-offs, the tech firm continued. Also, the app reportedly provided higher torque and drag data frequency while tripping-in casing, allowing the crew to quickly identify trends and spot deteriorating hole conditions.

“From unconventional factory drilling in the Permian to extended reach conventional wells in the North Slope, Corva is driving drilling optimization across North America,” Ryan Dawson, Corva’s founder and CEO stated. “We’re thrilled to have been a part of the team that broke the record for longest onshore well.”

Sounds like a sales pitch for Corva...

I am guessing that they used all that 'new' technology that was developed and tested in the Permian Basin...

Some thing's to point out in this article. Torque & Drag has not been plotted manually for decades. The Landmark, and other, software has handled this task for years.

Since when is tripping pipe a "critical process"? Furthermore, I seriously doubt that they "remove and REPLACE the entire drill string."

This article was not written by someone familiar with drilling.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Sounds like a sales pitch for Corva...

I am guessing that they used all that 'new' technology that was developed and tested in the Permian Basin...

Some thing's to point out in this article. Torque & Drag has not been plotted manually for decades. The Landmark, and other, software has handled this task for years.

Since when is tripping pipe a "critical process"? Furthermore, I seriously doubt that they "remove and REPLACE the entire drill string."

This article was not written by someone familiar with drilling.

Actually at 32,468 they likely replaced the drill string about 3 times. Or at minimum did inspection and refurbish on a Whole lot of drill pipe. The vast majority of that well is basically horizontal so that's a lot of wear and tear on the collars. 

I agree the article isn't well written. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ward Smith said:

Actually at 32,468 they likely replaced the drill string about 3 times. Or at minimum did inspection and refurbish on a Whole lot of drill pipe. The vast majority of that well is basically horizontal so that's a lot of wear and tear on the collars. 

I agree the article isn't well written. 

I doubt that they replaced the drill string on each trip, which is what the article indicates and would be misleading to those not in the drilling end of the business,

The BHA was likely stabilized for a rotary steerable motor, the tooljoints probably took a hammering in the horizontal section though.

Regardless, wear would have been an issue and planned for, but replacing an entire drill string each time you tripped out of the hole would have gotten expensive quickly!😂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

This was drilled in 2017, longer than the new one.

Company begins drilling 6.5-mile Arctic oil well set to be Alaska’s longest

https://www.adn.com/business-economy/energy/2017/12/27/company-begins-drilling-6-5-mile-well-expected-to-be-the-longest-in-alaska/

Would have been nice to get it in feet rather than miles. Is 6.5 exact, an estimate, rounded up? If exact that's 34,320' so they'd have just been edged out.

I know the guy who runs a pipe inspection company up there. The Alaska regulator is very tight about what you can do and lots of operators have 3x the drill pipe needed on hand, just to meet the requirements. Typically they do run brand new pipe in on the next trip, while every foot of the old pipe gets inspected. A company I won't name just inspects, but won't refurbish. My friend's company does "whatever is needed". That's why he's taking market share from the big dog. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

Would have been nice to get it in feet rather than miles. Is 6.5 exact, an estimate, rounded up? If exact that's 34,320' so they'd have just been edged out.

I know the guy who runs a pipe inspection company up there. The Alaska regulator is very tight about what you can do and lots of operators have 3x the drill pipe needed on hand, just to meet the requirements. Typically they do run brand new pipe in on the next trip, while every foot of the old pipe gets inspected. A company I won't name just inspects, but won't refurbish. My friend's company does "whatever is needed". That's why he's taking market share from the big dog. 

Yes if 6.5 miles is what was stated.

I know a company out of Houston that does that too and also refurbishies, also NDT for pipes, pressure vessels, tanks etc. and they also fabricate.

• Like 1