Saudis not winning diplomatic war on Qatar

Definitely not winning this passive-aggressive war they started with Qatar. US is now supporting Doha, and while the blockade hurts, international deals are still in the works for Qatar. I think it will have to simmer down a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe, but you have to consider MBS. Qatar has always been a friend-of-convenience with Iran. So why did the Saudis suddenly attack the Qataris in June with this made-up statement by Qatar praising Israel and Iran? The answer is: MBS. He's wildly unpredictable, overly ambitious and makes brutal policy decisions with little thought for consequences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Trump had immediately supported the Saudi move against Qatar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He did, but it seemed good to him in the moment because he wanted to take credit for making this great counterterrorism thing happen. It was easy, and there's Twitter. But then with a bit of thought (or presumably advice from someone nearby), it has now been decided that the Saudis are playing a dangerous game in the Middle East. Someone also probably told him that the US military's forward operations base for all of the Middle East is in Qatar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kate Turlington said:

Maybe, but you have to consider MBS. Qatar has always been a friend-of-convenience with Iran. So why did the Saudis suddenly attack the Qataris in June with this made-up statement by Qatar praising Israel and Iran? The answer is: MBS. He's wildly unpredictable, overly ambitious and makes brutal policy decisions with little thought for consequences. 

And he doesn't learn from mistakes, it seems, after he admitted the war in Yemen was one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MBS wants to rule the region and the Islamic/Arab world. Qatar is the best prize with massive gas/oil reserves. But...Qatar is not Qatar from 1990...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saudis are trying to annex Qatar just like Iraq did to Kuwait,(1990) plain and simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, damirUSBiH said:

MBS wants to rule the region and the Islamic/Arab world. Qatar is the best prize with massive gas/oil reserves. But...Qatar is not Qatar from 1990...

They have also lead to the downfall and disaster in Yemen...been after them for years as will. They want to gobble their land, their oil, their minerals...and they want to "cleanse" these countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if  Saudi Arabia wanted to invade Qatar I don’t think they have the wear with all to execute. When Saudi went into Bahrain they sent their invited police over the bridge they paid to be built. As for Yemen, they couldn’t convince Pakistan to invade Yemen .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Qatar's not the only problem for MBS. In same time ties between Jordan and Saudi Arabia have cooled because:
 - Amman didn’t send ground troops to join Saudi war in Yemen
 - Jordan balked at Saudi campaign against Qatar
 -  Amman disagreed with Saudi calls for a crackdown on Muslim Brotherhood 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MBS in few words: Repression at home, war in Yemen, destabilization in Lebanon, intervention in Bahrain, threats against Qatar. Really bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2018 at 11:31 PM, Carlsbad said:

He did, but it seemed good to him in the moment because he wanted to take credit for making this great counterterrorism thing happen. It was easy, and there's Twitter. But then with a bit of thought (or presumably advice from someone nearby), it has now been decided that the Saudis are playing a dangerous game in the Middle East. Someone also probably told him that the US military's forward operations base for all of the Middle East is in Qatar. 

If we want to "make this great counterterrorism thing happen" we should look to Saudi Arabia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, because much of it comes out of Saudi Arabia, so from that standpoint it makes sense. This is where Sunni jihadists come from and are funded from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0