Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zhong Lu

Does Money Grow on Trees?

Does Money Grow on Trees?   2 members have voted

1. 1. Does Money Grow on Trees?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(edited)

I understand that most people believe that money does not grow on trees.  That it has to come from somewhere, etc. etc. If money did grow on trees, you would have massive inflation, and money will no longer be money, like in Venezuela.  

Here is my counterargument.  Look at the financial history of the world in the last twenty or thirty years.  Despite the massive expansion of debt and deficit, which happened under Republican presidents (Bush and Trump comes to mind) and Democratic presidents (Obama, Clinton, etc.) money is still apparently money.  Inflation has not run away and the entire global house of cards has not collapsed (so far).  

So until the system collapses- if the system collapses- perhaps money DOES grow on trees.  I understand this opinion does not conform to popular view, but the evidence of the last twenty or thirty plus years appears to suggest that money can come out of nowhere, without consequence.  The phrase "money grows on trees" is meant to be a parody of out of control spending, but is it? And no, this discussion is not intended to be a blame game, to see who is at fault for this situation, because EVERYONE with political power is responsible to some degree for this situation.  Rather, I'm wondering if the phrase "money does grow on trees" is a serious description of what's going on in the global economy today.

Edited by Zhong Lu

10 points for originality.

Some gentle humor (I feel sorry for anyone who has not seen the improv show "Who's Line is it Anyway"   ... the old shows are usually what I watch on plane flights to pass the time.)

5TrvfC2_d.jpg.ea183ca57f9b10f3f234eabc266a0ef8.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

5TrvfC2_d.jpg.ea183ca57f9b10f3f234eabc266a0ef8.jpg

Tom!  You slay me!   Ha hahahahahaha!

Is this Boris Johnson calling for a new election?????????

Sorry.....Justin Trudeau after announcing the purchase of that pipeline from Kinder Morgan!

Yup, the world is a ridiculous place.  Oh, well.   

(edited)

It's a joke, but it's also not.  Where exactly is the money fueling all of this debt, deficit and central bank stimulus coming from? I'm not the only one asking this.  If money is fiat, then perhaps Central Banks and the American Treasury CAN spin it out of thin air, so long as people believe it's serviceable.  

Edited by Zhong Lu