James Regan

Oil Production Growth In U.S. Grinds To A Halt

Thread is now unlocked after a 1 day cooling down time out.

• Upvote 1

Tom you are 100% correct, sorry it got out of hand 🙌🏻🙌🏻

Respectfully

James

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 4:37 AM, Marcin said:

A little bit offfff topic,

Shale oil and shale gas extraction in the United States is a complete mistery for me. Wealthy and powerful country engages in activities that actively destroy large areas of land (pollution of soil and most of all underground water basins) for thousands of years for a few bucks. I know that vested interest groups, lobbyists simply run the country, EPA is a fig leaf etc. but this considers your very health and health of your children. This is not a case of bloated bills of military contractors etc., I mean people are stealing everywhere in the world, all the time, you could say it is normal, while not welcome.

But usually when it comes to the things that endanger the very existence of people, democratic societies typically act. Fracking is banned explicitly or implicitly in all EU countries. They could frack in China, but China is an authoritarian country and you can land in jail or just disappear if you are against the ruling class.

A lot of intelligent discussions here at oil price, could anybody tell mi why fracking is so popular in US ?

You could buy for sure any amount of oil and gas at world markets, your Navy rules the oceans,

no Malacca dilemmmas of China etc. so why ?

I do not see any major problems with fracking and have studied it for years. It has been going on for decades. I cannot see why Europeans and others are so easily misled about it by Russian and other OPEC propaganda. That is where the opposition all started. Anything to avoid competition. Fracking has gone on for decades without problems worth mentioning. America suffered from a bogus " Energy Crisis" before the increased use of fracking. There was a shitstorm of misinformation but the truth won out. God bless America! Demoncrats want to stop using all " Fossil Fuels" so they would supposedly stop fracking if they could. 

• Upvote 1

(edited)

32 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

Demoncrats want to stop using all " Fossil Fuels" so they would supposedly stop fracking if they could. 

'' EVERYWHERE !! ''

Ego much??

Demoncrats is a belter by the way

Edited by Guest

@ronwagn maybe you can give a link to your documents about fracking and Democrats to @DayTrader to peruse.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tom Kirkman said:

@ronwagn maybe you can give a link to your documents about fracking and Democrats to @DayTrader to peruse.

What, he missed those debates where all the pros and cons were judiciously discussed in meticulous detail?

3 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

What, he missed those debates where all the pros and cons were judiciously discussed in meticulous detail?

He's fairly new here, so I suspect he has no idea of the amount of documents you have.  And yes, he probably didn't get to read the older threads about fracking.

• Like 1

Go for it Ron, send via the message feature

4 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

He's fairly new here, so I suspect he has no idea of the amount of documents you have.  And yes, he probably didn't get to read the older threads about fracking.

Unfortunately I don't have fracking as a separate issue, but will look some up. It is much easier to show how the Demoncrats would outlaw fossil fuel altogether. 

Send that then for now. No rush. I'll check it out in next few days. 

4 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

That will take some time but I have been studying energy for about nine years. That is since the "Energy Crisis". After studying every option I decided that natural gas was the best solution for inexpensive, abundant, clean energy. Everything I have seen develop since then has proven me right. Fracking is mainly used to make money producing oil, but is also one way of producing natural gas which is often flared because it is not as profitable. I hate flaring which is a terrible waste of natural gas, which I consider a superior fuel because it is cleaner. I have come to realize that we are addicted to gasoline and diesel though. Until gasoline and diesel become more expensive the move toward natural gas trucking and cars will be slow in the United States. There are presently far more natural gas vehicles around the world than electric though. 

I have found no major problems with fracking, and would like to know what concerns you have about it. I have found all criticisms to be overblown and nowhere near worth balancing the cost benefit of the oil and gas which is produced by it and horizontal drilling along with other advances in technology. I want to see all natural gas used and not flared. I would be willing to stop oil development unless the natural gas was all used onsite or shipped as compressed, liquified, or piped natural gas. 

Here are some of my collected links to stories on natural gas. The fracking stories are interspersed, but I will try to get some together for you.

Part Eleven of Natural Gas News https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_QZTgxCECgIj7EItX9P6Q2J4BjsSt_nPyrDG1zAl4b0/edit 

Useful References for The Natural Gas Revolution https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Yf0MWpo91vrlu-mmJtjB1ERukjJo5W41oi4RZVQBug/edit

Natural Gas Vehicles https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kM7_6rwI5iG7s1EF1RNuVmFHEGFbteRsPjjzzxx5UTA/edit

Great. Cheers.

(edited)

8 hours ago, ronwagn said:

That will take some time but I have been studying energy for about nine years. That is since the "Energy Crisis". After studying every option I decided that natural gas was the best solution for inexpensive, abundant, clean energy. Everything I have seen develop since then has proven me right. Fracking is mainly used to make money producing oil, but is also one way of producing natural gas which is often flared because it is not as profitable. I hate flaring which is a terrible waste of natural gas, which I consider a superior fuel because it is cleaner. I have come to realize that we are addicted to gasoline and diesel though. Until gasoline and diesel become more expensive the move toward natural gas trucking and cars will be slow in the United States. There are presently far more natural gas vehicles around the world than electric though. 

I have found no major problems with fracking, and would like to know what concerns you have about it. I have found all criticisms to be overblown and nowhere near worth balancing the cost benefit of the oil and gas which is produced by it and horizontal drilling along with other advances in technology. I want to see all natural gas used and not flared. I would be willing to stop oil development unless the natural gas was all used onsite or shipped as compressed, liquified, or piped natural gas. 

Here are some of my collected links to stories on natural gas. The fracking stories are interspersed, but I will try to get some together for you.

Part Eleven of Natural Gas News https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_QZTgxCECgIj7EItX9P6Q2J4BjsSt_nPyrDG1zAl4b0/edit 

Useful References for The Natural Gas Revolution https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Yf0MWpo91vrlu-mmJtjB1ERukjJo5W41oi4RZVQBug/edit

Natural Gas Vehicles https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kM7_6rwI5iG7s1EF1RNuVmFHEGFbteRsPjjzzxx5UTA/edit

A little bit of info on the situation in Brasil, where GNV (Gas Natural Vehicular) is very common place along with other renewables such as alcool from sugar cane.

Major infrastructure changes going on in Brasil to become a powerhouse in the GNV market, watch this space.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/brazil/  (currently giving myself a good talking to and face palming)

Edited by James Regan

13 hours ago, DayTrader said:

Keep in mind that the major issue with Fracking is the idea that disruptions of the underground strata, broken up by shock waves of the fracturing process, will allow contaminants to seep into the area of the water table.  Note particularly that New York City takes all its fresh water directly from a series of reservoir lakes Upstate, then unfiltered and untreated through these massive aqueducts to the City.  The entire infrastructure is just huge, and represents an investment of billions.  If that gets contaminated, then it is more billions to try to fix.  Thus the NY State legislature has taken the short way out and banned all fracking in the State, in order to avoid the consequences of anything going wrong. 

Could there be a fracking failure?  Yes, there could be.  IN the specific case of New York, remember that the reservoirs themselves are massive, and thus place a gigantic static load on top of the local geology.  That load distorts the underground structure, introducing bending moments in the rock strata.  It would take little extra to cause ruptures and failures in the entire rock strata, thus to avoid that, there is no fracking for gas in the State.  You can argue that this is unfortunate as there are quite a bit of gas available in the underground structures, but NY is prepared to lose that bounty in order to guarantee fresh water for NYC.  

So fracking tends to be done in areas without reservoirs of water on top, or for that matter the Great Lakes, anywhere there is a very large natural static load on the underground formations.  Trust this explains. 

Are there any topics you DON'T know about? 

All we have on you is that you like weird cheese.

Hardly groundbreaking. 

13 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

Are there any topics you DON'T know about?

And now you know why they keep me around.  And you thought it was only for my dashing good looks........

• Haha 1

(edited)

59 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

And now you know why they keep me around.  And you thought it was only for my dashing good looks........

Dashing Indeed and probably the best dead ball shot the world has known, your cover has been blown Jan van Eckham

JV PIC.jpg

Edited by James Regan
  • Haha 2

@Enthalpic  , THIS is stroking the ego!

(edited)

14 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

@Enthalpic  , THIS is stroking the ego!

Beckhams ego is big enough, and quite rightly so. Not many Dutch footballers worth mentioning haha, cannon ball coming.......

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 18.02.19.png

Edited by James Regan
  • Haha 1

Haha no Jan's ego.

They had Johan Cruyff. Hell he has a move named after him. Was a while ago though.

3 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

Keep in mind that the major issue with Fracking is the idea that disruptions of the underground strata, broken up by shock waves of the fracturing process, will allow contaminants to seep into the area of the water table.  Note particularly that New York City takes all its fresh water directly from a series of reservoir lakes Upstate, then unfiltered and untreated through these massive aqueducts to the City.  The entire infrastructure is just huge, and represents an investment of billions.  If that gets contaminated, then it is more billions to try to fix.  Thus the NY State legislature has taken the short way out and banned all fracking in the State, in order to avoid the consequences of anything going wrong. 

Could there be a fracking failure?  Yes, there could be.  IN the specific case of New York, remember that the reservoirs themselves are massive, and thus place a gigantic static load on top of the local geology.  That load distorts the underground structure, introducing bending moments in the rock strata.  It would take little extra to cause ruptures and failures in the entire rock strata, thus to avoid that, there is no fracking for gas in the State.  You can argue that this is unfortunate as there are quite a bit of gas available in the underground structures, but NY is prepared to lose that bounty in order to guarantee fresh water for NYC.  

So fracking tends to be done in areas without reservoirs of water on top, or for that matter the Great Lakes, anywhere there is a very large natural static load on the underground formations.  Trust this explains. 

How deep are those aquifers? My guess is they're too shallow to be directly affected. Now, Disposal Wells? They're another story

On 9/4/2019 at 11:44 PM, SKEP said:

. .  .  and the EIA Weekly U.S. Production survey has proven to be very acurate.

Weekly inventory number is a joke.

Nonsense.  The weekly production estimates are terrible, everyone who knows anything about these numbers realizes that.  WRS is correct, you are clueless. :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

How deep are those aquifers? My guess is they're too shallow to be directly affected. Now, Disposal Wells? They're another story

I would like to know this also. In the Marcellus the NG is at about 9,000 ft deep, and the Utica at about 11,000. I don't see how that could have an affect on the water table? How deep is the formation for gas in the NY area? 

5 minutes ago, Frank C. said:

I would like to know this also. In the Marcellus the NG is at about 9,000 ft deep, and the Utica at about 11,000. I don't see how that could have an affect on the water table? How deep is the formation for gas in the NY area? 

Googled a bit and found three fun facts:

Did you know the VERY FIRST NATURAL GAS WELL IN THE US was drilled in New York? 

Now of course they've Banned fracking, and fun fact number two is that Con Edison will no longer hook up new natural gas customers, because…

Fun fact number three, the idiot New Yorkers not only won't let anyone frack, they won't let anyone install a new pipeline! 

California, you're getting a run for your money… ;)

https://www.nysga-online.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/NYSGA-1974-H-Geology-and-Occurrence-of-Oil-and-Gas-in-Chautauqua-County-NY.pdf

https://www.agriculture.ny.gov/SoilWater/about_us/minutes/May_18_2010/Basic_Marcellus_May_2010_Lite.pdf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2