Tom Kirkman

Anti - Oil & Gas takes center stage at Democratic candidates’ forums

"Never interrupt your enemy when they are in the process of totally effing things up" 

- famous saying by someone on the internet

Climate change, and how to combat it, takes center stage at Democratic candidates’ forums

WASHINGTON — Top Democratic presidential contenders talked tough Wednesday on cutting climate-damaging emissions from oil, gas and coal, turning their focus to global warming in a marathon evening of town halls that gave the candidates a chance to distinguish themselves on a topic of growing importance to their party’s liberal base.

The unique and lengthy climate conversations promised to hand Republicans ammunition for next year’s general election fight by emphasizing one common element in the Democrats’ climate change plans: their overwhelming — and overwhelmingly costly — scope. But the 10 Democrats who participated in the seven-hour series of climate change forums on CNN didn’t shrink from making sweeping promises to reshape the American economy in service of what their party’s grassroots supporters see as the paramount goal of averting global warming’s most devastating effects.  ...

... California Sen. Kamala Harris vowed that, as president, she would ban hydraulic fracturing, also called fracking, and take other steps to cut fossil fuel emissions, regardless of whether Republicans cooperated.  ...

... All 10 candidates have proposed plans starting at $1 trillion for investment and research designed to wean the U.S. economy off oil, gas and coal by mid-century, with varying focuses on sharp emissions cuts and technological solutions, among other measures.  ...

< snip blah blah blah endless prattling >

===========================

Previously, over on the satire site Babylon Bee:

Experts: It May Be Too Late To Halt Climate Change Town Hall On CNN

U.S.—Experts solemnly warned the nation that it may be too late to stop the 7-hour climate change town hall scheduled to air on CNN tonight.

Despite humanity's best efforts to stall climate change town halls by long-winded, self-important politicians, the event appears to be rapidly approaching. No one has been able to come up with a plan to stop it, and now there's a scientific consensus that it's inevitable.

"We have reached the point of no return," said one expert grimly as he took a shot of something from a flask. "We have less than 12 hours before the Democrats do irreparable damage to our sanity by talking for seven full freakin' hours on television."

"The only thing we can do now is say goodbye to our loved ones," he added. "And maybe tune into something else, like HGTV or something. Anything."

Radical activists tried to distract the candidates to prevent the town hall from moving forward. One man left a wallet with some $20 bills sticking out of it in hopes that Bernie Sanders would get distracted. Another left a book of cool cuss words on a park bench, hoping that Beto O'Rourke would make a detour to pick it up. But all of these efforts have failed, and now the climate change town hall will affect everybody on the planet, or at least CNN's seven viewers.  ...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

"Never interrupt your enemy when they are in the process of totally effing things up" 

I believe this is a direct Confucius quote

3 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

I believe this is a direct Confucius quote

Heck, I thought it was Sun Tzu quoting Monty Python.  Can't trust anything on the internet these days.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Heck, I thought it was Sun Tzu quoting Monty Python.

Tom! You totally slay me!   That is seriously funny!  You have this unerring ability to make me piss in my pants!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

Tom! You totally slay me!   That is seriously funny!  You have this unerring ability to make me piss in my pants!

Thanks Jan  : )

We both seem to be easily amused, although I generally prefer dry pants.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tom Kirkman said:

We both seem to be easily amused, although I generally prefer dry pants.

At the rate this is going, I am consigned to the installation of a permanent catheter.  Oh, well.  It happens. 

• Haha 2

When the best we can come up with is a loony left and a bat shyt narcissistic radical right we deserve the effects of poor governance. 

• Great Response! 1

I watched the debate, it was interesting that all the questions were from leftists students or AGW Messiahs , no one mentioned how they were going to make all these wind farms and EVs even drill out geothermal wells etc etc, no one questioned the carbon footprint 👣 from these industries.

We will just phase out the combustion engine I call 🐂 💩, I had to turn it off as I was in a hotel and didn’t want to have a rock star moment.....

• Haha 2

vzioiew1jok31.thumb.jpg.cb915327d49fc517191eb445cadaa8b2.jpg

obpgbh3ggrk31.thumb.png.f90e3899def75efa1a9921c07c77672a.png

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Meanwhile ...

20190905_210911.jpg.3f2a0c9748714a5450b6fc43483a10ef.jpg

1qvpg2m4tok31.thumb.png.22735ff9f992d7d52a50f30f175c5e2e.png

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Meanwhile ...

20190905_210911.jpg.3f2a0c9748714a5450b6fc43483a10ef.jpg

1qvpg2m4tok31.thumb.png.22735ff9f992d7d52a50f30f175c5e2e.png

Since Trump is not a truthful person, I did a factcheck on his tweets and this is what I found:

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/4/24/18512804/climate-change-united-states-china-emissions

”What’s abundantly clear is that the United States of America is the all-time biggest, baddest greenhouse gas emitter on the planet”

China now emits more than the US, and India’s emissions are rapidly rising. But these countries have a much smaller share of cumulative global emissions. Their populations are also much bigger than the US.

In 2015, the United States emitted 15.53 metric tons of carbon dioxide per capita. China emitted 6.59 metric tons. India emitted just 1.58 metric tons. As these countries get richer, their per capita emissions are poised to rise further. This is why technology transfer from wealthier countries to less developed economies is shaping up to be a critical component of fighting climate change.

But ultimately the largest share of the burden in cleaning up this mess should fall to those who played the largest role in creating it. This animation leaves no doubt as to the culprits.

(edited)

2 hours ago, Hotone said:

In 2015, the United States emitted 15.53 metric tons of carbon dioxide per capita. China emitted 6.59 metric tons. India emitted just 1.58 metric tons.

'' The inauguration marked the formal culmination of the presidential transition of Donald Trump that began when he won the U.S. presidential election on November 8, 2016 and became the President-elect. Trump and his running mate, Mike Pence, were formally elected by the Electoral College on December 19, 2016. ''

I've not been to the USA, but I'm pretty sure there are no places where you have to wear a mask all day and can barely see infront of your own face?

If you need to resort to figures from before Trump was even president, and at the same time call Trump untruthful, that tells me everything. 

Edited by Guest

(edited)

1 hour ago, DayTrader said:

'' The inauguration marked the formal culmination of the presidential transition of Donald Trump that began when he won the U.S. presidential election on November 8, 2016 and became the President-elect. Trump and his running mate, Mike Pence, were formally elected by the Electoral College on December 19, 2016. ''

I've not been to the USA, but I'm pretty sure there are no places where you have to wear a mask all day and can barely see infront of your own face?

If you need to resort to figures from before Trump was even president, and at the same time call Trump untruthful, that tells me everything. 

Those 2015 figures are the latest that I can find anywhere on the internet.

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/each-countrys-share-of-co2.html

I would be happy if you can point out more recent figures.

The most polluted cities used to be in China, but they have been cleaning up. Now other developing countries have taken the lead in pollution:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/mar/05/india-home-to-22-of-worlds-30-most-polluted-cities-greenpeace-says

Trump is not just untruthful, he is mentally impaired or unhinged. Take for example his recent statements about Dorian

https://youtu.be/8fAFUR7ij7s

Edited by Hotone
Typo

(edited)

330px-World_fossil_carbon_dioxide_emissions_1970-2017_six_countries_and_confederations.png

Notice anything?

0scFR9s--R5fUyVnFcmzeqBfzg32fVlnpwXE_lud

China pretty much rest of the world combined. But hey, Trump/USA bad, China good. Heard this narrative before.

And going per capita, Australia one of the worst in the world. Weird how no one ever mentions them though. 

global carbon emissions

Depending on how many countries in the list changes the 'rest of world' figure obviously, but China / USA / India all the same figures. 

51 minutes ago, Hotone said:

The most polluted cities used to be in China, but they have been cleaning up.

That's good of them. The phrase ''too little too late'' springs to mind. 

image.jpeg.8f8b31ff442174eca48143531a26b5a8.jpeg

Image result for china smog mask

Image result for china smog

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

330px-World_fossil_carbon_dioxide_emissions_1970-2017_six_countries_and_confederations.png

China pretty much rest of the world combined. But hey, Trump/USA bad, China good. Heard this narrative before.

And going per capita, Australia one of the worst in the world. Weird how no one ever mentions them though. 

global carbon emissions

Depending on how many countries in the list changes the 'rest of world' figure obviously, but China / USA / India all the same figures. 

Using the 2015 statistics, the US produces 2.35 times the carbon emissions of China on a per capita basis. Using your percentages above and taking into account the 2017 population of China vs US, the US produces 2.27 times the carbon emissions of China per capita. It has stayed pretty consistent.

Since Trump turbocharged the carbon economy, I wonder what the current figures will be.

2 hours ago, Hotone said:

Since Trump is not a truthful person, I did a factcheck on his tweets and this is what I found:

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/4/24/18512804/climate-change-united-states-china-emissions

”What’s abundantly clear is that the United States of America is the all-time biggest, baddest greenhouse gas emitter on the planet”

China now emits more than the US, and India’s emissions are rapidly rising. But these countries have a much smaller share of cumulative global emissions. Their populations are also much bigger than the US.

In 2015, the United States emitted 15.53 metric tons of carbon dioxide per capita. China emitted 6.59 metric tons. India emitted just 1.58 metric tons. As these countries get richer, their per capita emissions are poised to rise further. This is why technology transfer from wealthier countries to less developed economies is shaping up to be a critical component of fighting climate change.

But ultimately the largest share of the burden in cleaning up this mess should fall to those who played the largest role in creating it. This animation leaves no doubt as to the culprits.

"Figures don't lie, but liars sure can figure", Mao quoting Confucius quoting Groucho Marx. 

Your source is bullocks. CO2 is only resident in the atmosphere for 7 years as was clearly proven by following the fallout from nuclear weapons testing. Per capita doesn't mean squat, IF you're concerned about destroying the planet. The Paris accord gave China and India a free pass. Have you been to Either country lately? So polluted you can't breathe. But yeah, Trump is lying because? 

• Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 2

(edited)

Exactly, 'per capita' is irrelevant to me. What percent of China's 1.43 BILLION is causing damage?? And yet still number 1 on every list. 

If we go by capita ,I could buy an uninhabited island, burn a few trees, and I'm the worst place in the world?  Does that make me worse than the whole of China?

And again, Australia. No one mentions them 'per capita'. 

3 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

"Figures don't lie, but liars sure can figure", Mao quoting Confucius quoting Groucho Marx. 

Like it. 

image.jpeg.87817d6537efbd90aa3ceed6d9ef6dc8.jpeg

Image result for china smog meme

Edited by Guest

(edited)

2 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

Your source is bullocks. CO2 is only resident in the atmosphere for 7 years as was clearly proven by following the fallout from nuclear weapons testing. Per capita doesn't mean squat, IF you're concerned about destroying the planet. The Paris accord gave China and India a free pass. Have you been to Either country lately? So polluted you can't breathe. But yeah, Trump is lying because? 

Don't just take my source, take the stats from daytrader above. 

Trump is lying because? Because he opens his mouth. There are many people who keep count, you know.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/08/12/president-trump-has-made-false-or-misleading-claims-over-days/

Recently, he has been telling some bizzare lies about Alabama, which had been widely reported

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-news-live-hurricane-dorian-map-alabama-tweets-today-pence-uk-visit-a9092556.html?amp

https://youtu.be/TSBstoaYbMY

Edited by Hotone
Add link

3 hours ago, DayTrader said:

Notice anything?

global carbon emissions

That's good of them. The phrase ''too little too late'' springs to mind. 

image.jpeg.8f8b31ff442174eca48143531a26b5a8.jpeg

Image result for china smog mask

Image result for china smog

The first two graphs illustrate CO2 emissions not real pollution. Real pollution involves particulates and other hazardous chemicals. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

- famous saying by someone on the internet

Climate change, and how to combat it, takes center stage at Democratic candidates’ forums

WASHINGTON — Top Democratic presidential contenders talked tough Wednesday on cutting climate-damaging emissions from oil, gas and coal, turning their focus to global warming in a marathon evening of town halls that gave the candidates a chance to distinguish themselves on a topic of growing importance to their party’s liberal base.

The unique and lengthy climate conversations promised to hand Republicans ammunition for next year’s general election fight by emphasizing one common element in the Democrats’ climate change plans: their overwhelming — and overwhelmingly costly — scope. But the 10 Democrats who participated in the seven-hour series of climate change forums on CNN didn’t shrink from making sweeping promises to reshape the American economy in service of what their party’s grassroots supporters see as the paramount goal of averting global warming’s most devastating effects.  ...

... California Sen. Kamala Harris vowed that, as president, she would ban hydraulic fracturing, also called fracking, and take other steps to cut fossil fuel emissions, regardless of whether Republicans cooperated.  ...

... All 10 candidates have proposed plans starting at $1 trillion for investment and research designed to wean the U.S. economy off oil, gas and coal by mid-century, with varying focuses on sharp emissions cuts and technological solutions, among other measures.  ...

< snip blah blah blah endless prattling >

===========================

Previously, over on the satire site Babylon Bee:

Experts: It May Be Too Late To Halt Climate Change Town Hall On CNN

U.S.—Experts solemnly warned the nation that it may be too late to stop the 7-hour climate change town hall scheduled to air on CNN tonight.

Despite humanity's best efforts to stall climate change town halls by long-winded, self-important politicians, the event appears to be rapidly approaching. No one has been able to come up with a plan to stop it, and now there's a scientific consensus that it's inevitable.

"We have reached the point of no return," said one expert grimly as he took a shot of something from a flask. "We have less than 12 hours before the Democrats do irreparable damage to our sanity by talking for seven full freakin' hours on television."

"The only thing we can do now is say goodbye to our loved ones," he added. "And maybe tune into something else, like HGTV or something. Anything."

Radical activists tried to distract the candidates to prevent the town hall from moving forward. One man left a wallet with some $20 bills sticking out of it in hopes that Bernie Sanders would get distracted. Another left a book of cool cuss words on a park bench, hoping that Beto O'Rourke would make a detour to pick it up. But all of these efforts have failed, and now the climate change town hall will affect everybody on the planet, or at least CNN's seven viewers.  ...

So it needs a Democat as US President to cut fracking down and drive the oil price up ? Fine, if it works !

(edited)

36 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

The first two graphs illustrate CO2 emissions not real pollution. Real pollution involves particulates and other hazardous chemicals. 

Well I'm talking CO2 ;) 

And masks. And not seeing a few metres infront of you. 

5 hours ago, Hotone said:

In 2015, the United States emitted 15.53 metric tons of carbon dioxide per capita. China emitted 6.59 metric tons. India emitted just 1.58 metric tons. As these countries get richer, their per capita emissions are poised to rise further.

This guy brought up CO2 Ron. 

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Hotone said:

LOLOL!  Pe rcapita?  How can you justify this comparison?  Of course you use VOX which is a far left publication that uses numbers to lie.  Trumps tweet was truthful, this distorts the facts.  China has 4.5 times as many people as the US, do the math.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, wrs said:

United States of America is the all-time biggest, baddest greenhouse gas emitter on the planet

This doesn't sound biased wrs does it?  ;) 

(edited)

4 hours ago, Hotone said:

Those 2015 figures are the latest that I can find anywhere on the internet.

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/each-countrys-share-of-co2.html

I would be happy if you can point out more recent figures.

The most polluted cities used to be in China, but they have been cleaning up. Now other developing countries have taken the lead in pollution:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/mar/05/india-home-to-22-of-worlds-30-most-polluted-cities-greenpeace-says

Trump is not just untruthful, he is mentally impaired or unhinged. Take for example his recent statements about Dorian

https://youtu.be/8fAFUR7ij7s

You are really not doing very well today, not only do you not understand the difference between per capita and total but you don't have the facts on the hurricanegate nonsense.  Here is the appropriate chart Trump was referencing in his first claim about Alabama.

Just another TDS victim.

Hurricane-Dorian-NHC-Advisory-21-08292019.jpg

Or if you prefer a more updated version post tweet then try this one.  No matter, both show Alabama getting tropical storm force winds.

Hurricane-Dorian-NHC-Advisory-36-09022019.png

Edited by wrs
  • Upvote 1