Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom Kirkman

Swedish Behavioral Scientist Suggests Eating Humans to ‘Save the Planet’ from Climate Change. What could possibly go wrong?

Filing this under "renewables".  Because apparently we don't have a Cannibalism subforum here.

Swedish Behavioral Scientist Suggests Eating Humans to ‘Save the Planet’

A Swedish behavioral scientist has suggested that it may be necessary to turn to cannibalism and start eating humans in order to save the planet.

Appearing on Swedish television to talk about an event based around the “food of the future,” Magnus Söderlund said he would be holding seminars on the necessity of consuming human flesh in order to stop climate change.

Environmentalists blame the meat and farming industry for a large part of what they claim is the warming of the earth.

According to Söderlund, a potential fix would be the Soylent Green-solution of eating dead bodies instead.

He told the host of the show that one of the biggest obstacles to the proposal would be the taboo nature of corpses and the fact that many would see it as defiling the deceased.

Söderlund also acknowledged that people are “slightly conservative” when it comes to eating things they are not accustomed to, such as cadavers.  ...

20151030-tastes-great-less-filling.jpg.aec2813a0477fbc24a662f2a6c8901dd.jpg

• Haha 1

Send that link to AOC and Bernie Sanders NOW!!! It needs to be incorporated in the New Soylent Green Deal!!!

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Because apparently we don't have a Cannibalism subforum here.

LOL

4 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

one of the biggest obstacles to the proposal would be the taboo nature of corpses and the fact that many would see it as defiling the deceased.

Yeah people are weird like that. 

16 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

A Swedish behavioral scientist has suggested that it may be necessary to turn to cannibalism and start eating humans in order to save the planet.

Yet there is no real necessity to get this dramatic.  Observing the way things go in the American West is instructive.  There, in Colorado, at fancy receptions the chefs prepare a delicacy known as "prairie oysters."  The young women guests from the East Cast cities will inevitably inquire of the Westerners just what is the composition of those prairie oysters?  And they choke and vomit when told that the oysters are calves' testicles, removed by castration, basted and cooked to perfection.  Yum!  

So there you have the inspiration: instead of grungy eating of a cadaver, simply make male testicles a preferred cuisine.  As enough are chopped off to be eaten at Embassy receptions  and political fund-raisers, you will start to make real inroads into over-population, and Malthus will be defeated.  Sounds good to me!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Send that link to AOC and Bernie Sanders NOW!!! It needs to be incorporated in the New Soylent Green Deal!!!

Ok, I'm totally stumped. 

If Cannibalism is the cure for global warming, what is the cure for global cooling?

rwkvfww3rxk31.thumb.jpg.7e8f1947a0c5c0e32af98fcfb7537f00.jpg

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Filing this under "renewables".  Because apparently we don't have a Cannibalism subforum here.

Appearing on Swedish television to talk about an event based around the “food of the future,” Magnus Söderlund said he would be holding seminars on the necessity of consuming human flesh in order to stop climate change.

Environmentalists blame the meat and farming industry for a large part of what they claim is the warming of the earth.

According to Söderlund, a potential fix would be the Soylent Green-solution of eating dead bodies instead.

He told the host of the show that one of the biggest obstacles to the proposal would be the taboo nature of corpses and the fact that many would see it as defiling the deceased.

Söderlund also acknowledged that people are “slightly conservative” when it comes to eating things they are not accustomed to, such as cadavers.  ...

This scientist appears to overlook the issue of Prions* which are not destroyed by cooking not to mention who would actually be prepared to butcher human bodies.

If we have to go meat free I think I will stick to lentils, beans etc.

* BSE, CJD, Scrapie , Kuru etc.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Ok, I'm totally stumped. 

Not really.  Unfortunately, global cooling is the continuing fate of the planet.  

The writers of that Letter to Nixon were a bit premature.  It would seem that the next serious cooling cycle gets started in about 400 years.  There is not much that can be done about it, other than to demolish the Himalayas and most of the Tibetan Plateau and move all that rock back into the trench in the Indian Ocean, to re-balance the globe and keep it from having an irregular wobble in its spin.  I don't see that as realistic; you would have to put all of India and half of China to work as slaves moving rock for the next several centuries.  The irregular distribution of masses on the globe surface causes it to jerk and wobble irregularly, much as if your wheel balance weights fell off your car tires.  People don't seem to grasp this, however.  

And PS:  where did you get a copy of that 1972 Letter?  Amazing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jan van Eck said:

https://np.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/d0dxrg/this_letter_was_sent_to_the_president_in_1972_to/

The comments are fun, too.  Here's a bit of one:

–]14jcleary 6 points 45 minutes ago 

This letter is much wiser than the alarmism we see today, as it ACKNOWLEDGES the SHORTCOMINGS and IMPERFECTIONS of science. The first sentence of the third paragraph is what should be recognized today, but instead we rely on computer models for an impossibly complex system with imperfect knowledge of inputs, variables, and data.  ...

• Like 1

(edited)

I say go for it. When one of this Swedish guy's parents dies, let's see if he chows down...

And yeah, think I'll stick to my chickpeas and lentils.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

I say go for it. When one of this Swedish guy's parents die, let's see if he chows down...

I vote we make the "heart" symbol here the new Cannibalism Upvote.

20190906_212456.jpg.258a8b2ffcc6f6d2c20e46efbb0b1cde.jpg

Please feel free to wipe that idea from your mind if you disagree.  You're welcome.

Would definitely put a dent in the worlds hunger problems :S

Can get a couple decent round steaks from that human thigh

50 minutes ago, Happy Go Lucky said:

Would definitely put a dent in the worlds hunger problems :S

Can get a couple decent round steaks from that human thigh

Surprisingly, it seems there might be a bit of a snag in this particular Climate Change prevention plan:

Here's What Happens to Your Body When You Eat Human Meat

In the isolated highlands of Papua New Guinea once lived a tribe of people called the Fore. The Fore were untouched by the outside world until the 1930s, and unstudied until the 1950s. When researchers finally made their way to the highlands, they discovered that an epidemic called the "laughing death" was killing women and young children. The "laughing death" was caused by eating human meat.

According to NPR, the Fore people ate their dead instead of burying them to protect them from worms and maggots. Better in the stomach of a loved one than in the stomach of a grub, so the Fore thought. Even better was the stomach of a female loved one, because her body could tame the dead's spirit. So the women scooped out the brains to cook and roasted the bodies, sneaking tidbits to their young children. And they were getting really sick. The disease, called kuru, caused the ill to lose control of their bodies and their emotions. Eventually, they died.

What baffled researchers, according to NPR, was that kuru wasn't a virus or a living bacteria. Instead, it was a strange process that researchers compared to Dr. Jekyll's transformation into Mr. Hyde—the thin line between good and evil crossed by a twisted protein, one that tricked other proteins in the brain to twist like it, damaging the brain's cerebellum.

The Fore people stopped eating their dead half a century ago, but the epidemic spanned years, with the last victim of kuru dying in 2009—the disease can lie dormant for years before attacking the brain. But similarly confusing diseases are still out there, like mad cow disease, which also originates in infected meat. Just not, you know, human meat.

• Great Response! 1

Nice.

Been veggie 20 years. Enjoy  :) 

Assume this will get abuse.

Don't bother.

10 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

https://np.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/d0dxrg/this_letter_was_sent_to_the_president_in_1972_to/

The comments are fun, too.  Here's a bit of one:

–]14jcleary 6 points 45 minutes ago 

This letter is much wiser than the alarmism we see today, as it ACKNOWLEDGES the SHORTCOMINGS and IMPERFECTIONS of science. The first sentence of the third paragraph is what should be recognized today, but instead we rely on computer models for an impossibly complex system with imperfect knowledge of inputs, variables, and data.  ...

" Garbage in, garbage out" GIGO.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 12:31 PM, Tom Kirkman said:

Surprisingly, it seems there might be a bit of a snag in this particular Climate Change prevention plan:

Here's What Happens to Your Body When You Eat Human Meat

In the isolated highlands of Papua New Guinea once lived a tribe of people called the Fore. The Fore were untouched by the outside world until the 1930s, and unstudied until the 1950s. When researchers finally made their way to the highlands, they discovered that an epidemic called the "laughing death" was killing women and young children. The "laughing death" was caused by eating human meat.

According to NPR, the Fore people ate their dead instead of burying them to protect them from worms and maggots. Better in the stomach of a loved one than in the stomach of a grub, so the Fore thought. Even better was the stomach of a female loved one, because her body could tame the dead's spirit. So the women scooped out the brains to cook and roasted the bodies, sneaking tidbits to their young children. And they were getting really sick. The disease, called kuru, caused the ill to lose control of their bodies and their emotions. Eventually, they died.

What baffled researchers, according to NPR, was that kuru wasn't a virus or a living bacteria. Instead, it was a strange process that researchers compared to Dr. Jekyll's transformation into Mr. Hyde—the thin line between good and evil crossed by a twisted protein, one that tricked other proteins in the brain to twist like it, damaging the brain's cerebellum.

The Fore people stopped eating their dead half a century ago, but the epidemic spanned years, with the last victim of kuru dying in 2009—the disease can lie dormant for years before attacking the brain. But similarly confusing diseases are still out there, like mad cow disease, which also originates in infected meat. Just not, you know, human meat.

Oxtail soup was widely liked in Germany when I was there. I think I had some when I was there. I believe that anything involving the spine is high risk for prion related disease. I wonder if it is still popular. I wonder if it is still popular................

(edited)

On 9/7/2019 at 8:58 PM, ronwagn said:

Oxtail soup was widely liked in Germany when I was there. I think I had some when I was there. I believe that anything involving the spine is high risk for prion related disease. I wonder if it is still popular. I wonder if it is still popular................

Fine if you remove the meat from the bone. 

The meat inspection requirements in the Uk were for the disposal of the head (the cheeks could be removed) and the spinal cord. 

Edited by NickW
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 2:14 PM, Jan van Eck said:

Not really.  Unfortunately, global cooling is the continuing fate of the planet.  

The writers of that Letter to Nixon were a bit premature.  It would seem that the next serious cooling cycle gets started in about 400 years.  There is not much that can be done about it, other than to demolish the Himalayas and most of the Tibetan Plateau and move all that rock back into the trench in the Indian Ocean, to re-balance the globe and keep it from having an irregular wobble in its spin.  I don't see that as realistic; you would have to put all of India and half of China to work as slaves moving rock for the next several centuries.  The irregular distribution of masses on the globe surface causes it to jerk and wobble irregularly, much as if your wheel balance weights fell off your car tires.  People don't seem to grasp this, however.  

Global cooling would be easy to solve compared to global warming. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/7/2019 at 1:44 AM, DayTrader said:

Nice.

Been veggie 20 years. Enjoy  :) 

Assume this will get abuse.

Don't bother.

A trader AND a Vegan! You’re doomed man, you’re doomed!😂

• Haha 2

(edited)

15 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

A trader AND a Vegan!

For most people I would have said which part of the 2 words ''Don't bother'' did you not understand? But I'll give you that one Doug  :) 

Edited by Guest

This sounds like A Modest Proposal.

(edited)

On 9/6/2019 at 8:28 PM, Tom Kirkman said:

It's not the dead causing global warming but the livings................... Are they trying to be subtle in their suggestion?? Or diverting the heavy punch of the suggestion?? :o:ph34r:

21 hours ago, NickW said:

Global cooling would be easy to solve compared to global warming. 

There is a new research project funded recently.......... producing chemical clouds with million tons of particles........ what a fast way to reduce human population................. and provide cooling effect......... (details to be disclosed)......... O.o:$

Edited by specinho
  • Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:28 PM, Tom Kirkman said:

Ever heard of "kuru"? Insanity caused by eating human brains. Was common in PNG until the missionaries turned up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wombat said:

Ever heard of "kuru"?

Think Tom mentioned earlier in the thread buddy if my memory serves

A part of me know where you find this absolute shit, but the reality is I don't want to know, let alone why you bother. 

I do remember shortly considering a career in academia, and you do remind me I am glad I didn't.

31 minutes ago, John Foote said:

A part of me know where you find this absolute shit, but the reality is I don't want to know, let alone why you bother. 

I do remember shortly considering a career in academia, and you do remind me I am glad I didn't.

I prefer the more uncensored and unconventional parts of the internet, rather than paying much attention to mainstream media.

And I'm not an academic (which these days tends to be mostly far - left lunacy).

Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1