Hong Kong Protesters Appeal To Trump For Support.

(edited)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG3FlmUJKQs 

-  Hong Kong protesters march to US consulate to call on Trump for support.

From RTHK .... ''Don't meddle in HK affairs'' China tells Washington. 

The government released a statement late on Sunday night warning foreign legislators not to interfere “in any form in the internal affairs of the HKSAR”, after thousands of protesters marched to the US consulate earlier in the day to urge Washington to pass legislation that could strip Hong Kong of its special trade status with the United States. A government spokesman said the administration “expresses regret” over the “Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act”.
This legislation – if passed – would compel the US Secretary of State to assess once a year whether Hong Kong is “sufficiently autonomous” to justify its special trade status as a separate entity from China under the US-Hong Kong Policy Act. The government statement addressed point by point some of the matters raised by the US legislation, noting that Chief Executive Carrie Lam has already announced that the government will formally withdraw the extradition bill. He added that there’s no evidence that mainland authorities carried out law enforcement in Hong Kong in relation to the disappearance of a Causeway Bay bookseller in 2015.

"Since the return to the Motherland, the HKSAR has been exercising 'Hong Kong people administering Hong Kong' and a high degree of autonomy in strict accordance with the Basic Law”, the statement said. “The one country, two systems' principle has been fully and successfully implemented. Human rights and freedom in Hong Kong are fully protected by the Basic Law, the Hong Kong Bill of Rights Ordinance and other legislation. The HKSAR Government attaches great importance to them and is determined to safeguard them," the spokesman stressed.
The government also condemned illegal acts carried out by ‘radical protesters’ on Sunday, saying they had vandalised several MTR stations, set fires outside the entrance of the Central station, and blocked roads in multiple locations. “Their vandalising acts deprive the rights of other members of the public to use the MTR and must be stopped immediately”, the spokesman said.

Edited by Guest

Photo taken yesterday in Hong Kong

1ii8o1czdel31.thumb.jpg.05582a3fb81f8d9985cf1ccdcdbcb89b.jpg

Grafitti in Hong Kong

1v7spubi1sk31.thumb.jpg.0440e78ff869c94add029ee13a374238.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

There is one constant in all of these situations:  when the liberty of the public is threatened, the people go out into the streets and carry the American Flag.  Not just one American Flag.  Hundreds of American Flags.  And the reason is perfectly straight-forward: there is nobody else - literally nobody else - who is prepared to step up to the plate and help those people secure their liberty. 

And that, folks, is the quintessential truth about the Americans.  They really are the  Land of Freedom.   Even when the internal fascists and losers try to take it away. Even when the people wrongly elect someone like Lyndon Johnson.  Ultimately, those with the authoritarian tendencies get dumped, and the  standard-bearers of American Freedom get elected, and then yet once again America and the Americans are the ones to guarantee Freedom on the land. 

Where do these brave men come from, the ones who are prepared to put their own lives on  the line to secure Liberty for others on the other side of the planet?   They come from America.  I invite you to ponder that. 

• Like 4
  • Great Response! 4
  • Haha 1

(edited)

I just don't understand Lam. The key issue here was the extradition bill, which eventually was 'withdrawn'. Initially it was labelled as 'suspended' , something that suggested it could be brought back at a later date. The other requests are pretty straight forward, for example for protesters and protests to not officially be labelled as rioters and riots (as this term alone can bring a jail term I believe). 

I believe the protesters over the last 3 months have become more and more aware of Hong Kong's governmental practices. Unelected tycoons running things, etc, coupled with their ridiculous property prices, have escalated this to much more. 

The whole world is watching. China is seeing this and the pro Trump stuff, and has the trade war and upcoming anniversary on their plate too. These riots will continue and quite likely escalate until there is intervention. But from whom? What happens now do you think?

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

I just don't understand Lam. The key issue here was the extradition bill, which eventually was 'withdrawn'. Initially it was labelled as 'suspended' I believe, something that suggested it could be brought back at a later date. The other requests are pretty straight forward, for example for protesters and protests to not officially be labelled as rioters and riots (as this term alone can bring a jail term I believe). 

I believe the protesters over the last 3 months have become more and more aware of Hong Kong's governmental practices. Unelected tycoons running things, etc, coupled with their ridiculous property prices, have escalated this to much more. 

The whole world is watching. China is seeing this and the pro Trump stuff, and has the trade war and upcoming anniversary on their plate too. These riots will continue and quite likely escalate until there is intervention. But from whom? What happens now do you think?

Realistically, we can't do much more than publicize the unhappiness of the residents of Hong Kong. That includes somehow getting the pictures and info to the mainland Chinese. I am sure they are getting the negative side of the story already. I don't think the violence by the protesters is helpful. I would prefer only peaceful protests unless it involves self defense. The Chinese leaders will surely plan on retribution when it is convenient for them. Hopefully President Trump can make it as inconvenient as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree the violence is not helpful at all but they're also fighting for their future. I have a friend in HK and she sent me photos and footage a while ago that I've not seen on any news at all. Was worrying stuff. 

Just now, DayTrader said:

I agree the violence is not helpful at all but they're also fighting for their future. I have a friend in HK and she sent me photos and footage a while ago that I've not seen on any news at all. Was worrying stuff. 

Yeah, I saw some footage of masked police beating the crap out of unarmed, surrendering, peaceful protesters on the subway.  It was brutal.  Police just barged into the subway car with sticks and beat the living crap out of people who were holding their hands up and the police just beat them down to the floor.  Video clip was quickly yanked and memory holed.

Thanks Google and YouTube for hiding these videos.    / sarc

• Upvote 2

(edited)

Yeah they are the ones, randomly beating s**t out of unarmed people. Eyes missing due to rubber bullets and so on. 

And this is before potential army involvement. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Yeah, I saw some footage of masked police beating the crap out of unarmed, surrendering, peaceful protesters on the subway.  It was brutal.  Police just barged into the subway car with sticks and beat the living crap out of people who were holding their hands up and the police just beat them down to the floor.  Video clip was quickly yanked and memory holed.

Thanks Google and YouTube for hiding these videos.    / sarc

Google is making bank supplying the AI  tech to China to monitor and punish their citizens. Notice their motto isn't "Don't be evil" any longer

• Like 2

They should apply for visas to immigrate to America.  

• Upvote 1

(edited)

4 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

there is nobody else - literally nobody else - who is prepared to step up to the plate and help those people secure their liberty. 

Ultimately, those with the authoritarian tendencies get dumped, and the  standard-bearers of American Freedom get elected, and then yet once again America and the Americans are the ones to guarantee Freedom on the land. 

Thank you for the courageous breeds  from the old days........ especially during war times....... lives changed because of their courage and determination to do what's right.......

Compared to war where human dignity and a country's sovereignty might be involved........ this is probably a small case scenario of "a dog poo two streets away from your house but someone requests you to clean it up"............... 

4 hours ago, DayTrader said:

I just don't understand Lam. The key issue here was the extradition bill, which eventually was 'withdrawn'. Initially it was labelled as 'suspended' , something that suggested it could be brought back at a later date. 

Under common jurisdiction..........  the case involved a wanted person (from Hong Kong??) caught in China.......... therefore......... it might be perfectly alright to extradite the person to China............ But .......... what is the argument about?? ....... 

Hong Kong wants to be independent from China..... but they do not mind to be administered by England........... uuhhh................ 

Hong Kong is very small......... if they need a place to dump their waste............ if they need a place to run to when sea level rises or typhoon hits or mud slides that could inundate quarter of the city.............. if they need bigger places for their housing so that the quality of life can be improved............ if (fill in the blanks)............. .......... it might be a little unwise to be arrogant.

China might have the ability to seal economy off Hong Kong in one day to show authorization if they want to and restore order in no time shall they choose to??

Diplomacy is a strategy of the old days when common senses and righteous ethics prevail most of the times.......... But in the modern days where imbeciles rule (especially generation(s) who gotten their status without effort nor ethic)....... dictatorship might be more efficient to get things done properly............... If I were President XI......... I would seal Hong Kong off from all economically important activities and quarantine/& confiscating all assets of the ruthless involved for a year or until disagreement resolved.............:D9_9

Edited by specinho

Another organized revolution like Maidan. If you want to see spontanic protests look at France.

In second half od XXth century it was USSR who sponsored revolutions in another countries all over the world now its USA.

I hope China will defeat this revolution peacyfully but I think US meddling in china internal affairs will result in another Tienamen because chinese goverment has now no choice but to crash protesters in a situation of  strategic conflict with USA.

11 minutes ago, Tomasz said:

Another organized revolution like Maidan. If you want to see spontanic protests look at France.

In second half od XXth century it was USSR who sponsored revolutions in another countries all over the world now its USA.

I hope China will defeat this revolution peacyfully but I think US meddling in china internal affairs will result in another Tienamen because chinese goverment has now no choice but to crash protesters in a situation of  strategic conflict with USA.

Is the US “sponsoring” or simply expressing support for “revolutions”?

Are you suggesting that people/governments should simply sit on the fence, say regarding the situations which exist, or existed, in Hong Kong, Ukraine and Venezuela?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tomasz said:

Thanks for the revolutions. In peace there is no money................. :P

There might be no need for blood............. Hong Kees value money as their top priority........ may be in most developed countries and cities of developing countries too. Everything else is inconsequential (including ethics) and be manipulated around it.......... Shall there be a way to terminate the flow of money to the ruthless few and vacuumm the assets ............. to form aaaassshhhh ............... the whole country might reset their strategy to peace...........................kind.......... righteous.......... just............ and more................ ?? :o

5 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Photo taken yesterday in Hong Kong

1ii8o1czdel31.thumb.jpg.05582a3fb81f8d9985cf1ccdcdbcb89b.jpg

This person knows how to correctly appeal to Donald. Might we see a painting like this on the walls of the White House? 

Here are some more by the same artist: https://www.jasonheuser.com/political-satire

19 minutes ago, Jason Lavis said:

This person knows how to correctly appeal to Donald. Might we see a painting like this on the walls of the White House? 

Forget the White House, that's his 2020 campaign poster blatantly. 

(edited)

1 hour ago, specinho said:

Hong Kong wants to be independent from China..... but they do not mind to be administered by England........... uuhhh................ 

Have a think about why that is.

I can't even read the rest, sorry. Green is my favourite colour by far but your posts do my head in. 

Edited by Guest

Hay un hecho innegable Hong Kong es China. El pueblo de Hong Kong reconoce al igual que muchos de nosotros que Estados Unidos y su bandera son sinónimos, hoy, de libertad y democracia, la diplomacia debe prevalecer. Mostrar a Trump arriba de un tanque para liberar a Hong Kong es una mala idea. En la memoria del pueblo norteamericano está la guerra de Vietnam y Camboya. Hoy ambos países se acercaron a Estados Unidos por medio del comercio, cultura y educación, lo que no lograron hacer las balas. Estados Unidos ya conoce ambos caminos, que sus políticos tomen el camino correcto.  

• Like 1

(edited)

Can you please Google Translate or something and paste it in. Admittedly your language is rather sexy but as for your opinion or comment I have no idea what you're saying. 

24 minutes ago, Alfredo said:

Hay un hecho innegable Hong Kong es China

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Alfredo said:

Hay un hecho innegable Hong Kong es China. El pueblo de Hong Kong reconoce al igual que muchos de nosotros que Estados Unidos y su bandera son sinónimos, hoy, de libertad y democracia, la diplomacia debe prevalecer. Mostrar a Trump arriba de un tanque para liberar a Hong Kong es una mala idea. En la memoria del pueblo norteamericano está la guerra de Vietnam y Camboya. Hoy ambos países se acercaron a Estados Unidos por medio del comercio, cultura y educación, lo que no lograron hacer las balas. Estados Unidos ya conoce ambos caminos, que sus políticos tomen el camino correcto.  

Translste:

There is an undeniable fact Hong Kong is China. The people of Hong Kong recognize, like many of us, that the United States and its flag are synonymous, today, of freedom and democracy, diplomacy must prevail. Showing Trump up a tank to free Hong Kong is a bad idea. In the memory of the American people is the war in Vietnam and Cambodia. Today both countries approached the United States through trade, culture and education, which the bullets failed to do. The United States already knows both paths, that its politicians take the right path.

My response:

Hong kong being part of ch in na is no more concrete than the agreement that China would allow HK to govern itself. If China refuses to live up to its side of the agreement, there is no reason to assume HK is China. (I know that's likely to be controversial, however that's just how contracts work. Why should this be different?)

Next, diplomacy is always prefered over war. But it is just that, a preference. Now, that may be a very very strong preference, but if you write off the possibility of war, you are binding your hands and already surrendering to your opponent. Negotiate from a place of strength. 'Speak softly and carry a big stick'.

As fst as Vietnam and Cambodia - there were many things that could have been done better... I sincerely hope we do not repeat mistakes of the past... but I also hope we do what is right by the people involved and don't avoid the difficult decisions.

• Like 1

Thanks Otis

(edited)

14 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Is the US “sponsoring” or simply expressing support for “revolutions”?

Are you suggesting that people/governments should simply sit on the fence, say regarding the situations which exist, or existed, in Hong Kong, Ukraine and Venezuela?

Let me be honest with you

The whole problem is that America cannot understand that Hong Kong is an internal matter of China and the Nord Stream is  project between Russia and Germany = both cases are really none of your bussiness.

A lot of people around the world including me are honestly fed up with the US which intervenes in the internal affairs of sovereign states like Syria, Russia or China. I

It's not your bussiness and take care of your problems, which you have a whole bunch.

Sorry  in no case you are not a model for the rest of the world - at least not in a situation of  military budget of over 700 billion dollars  bigger than next 7 countries combined and over 50 million people on food stamps, no free medical care, no labour code, .no paid leave,, the most prisoners per 100,000 inhabitants, american judgments that are peculiar to me as a lawyer. Universal access to weapons and many other things simply unimaginable for a European.

So before you start pushing into the internal affairs of other countries all over the world , take care of your own very serious problems before you start another great war in the Middle East with Iran with pretext like WMD in Iraq .

After World War II, you overthrew dozens of governments around the world, you bombed God knows how many countries  and the world is really slowly fed up with American domination as in the picture below

Its why people dont want democracy anymore and chinese offer is more lucrative for developing countries. It is what comes to my mind when we talk about american democracy mission.

84956af345b632bf37988be5454f7086.jpg

Edited by Tomasz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe you need to look at the thread title again

7 hours ago, Tomasz said:

Let me be honest with you

The whole problem is that America cannot understand that Hong Kong is an internal matter of China and the Nord Stream is  project between Russia and Germany = both cases are really none of your bussiness.

A lot of people around the world including me are honestly fed up with the US which intervenes in the internal affairs of sovereign states like Syria, Russia or China. I

It's not your bussiness and take care of your problems, which you have a whole bunch.

Sorry  in no case you are not a model for the rest of the world - at least not in a situation of  military budget of over 700 billion dollars  bigger than next 7 countries combined and over 50 million people on food stamps, no free medical care, no labour code, .no paid leave,, the most prisoners per 100,000 inhabitants, american judgments that are peculiar to me as a lawyer. Universal access to weapons and many other things simply unimaginable for a European.

So before you start pushing into the internal affairs of other countries all over the world , take care of your own very serious problems before you start another great war in the Middle East with Iran with pretext like WMD in Iraq .

After World War II, you overthrew dozens of governments around the world, you bombed God knows how many countries  and the world is really slowly fed up with American domination as in the picture below

Its why people dont want democracy anymore and chinese offer is more lucrative for developing countries. It is what comes to my mind when we talk about american democracy mission.

84956af345b632bf37988be5454f7086.jpg

Does Make America Great Again tick you off?  If we elected a President that wanted to focus on America would you despise him?

If the country you currently reside in began tyrrannically squashing you and your countrymen, who would you call?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jakridge said:

tyrrannically squashing you

Jakridge there are some here who say ''leave them to it'' and to whatever you say about USA in a positive sense they won't agree. This person went on a rant about how the USA should stay out of China's business blah blah and the TITLE of the thread is Hong Kong protesters appeal to Trump for support. 

This is the level we are dealing with. Think about that.

I also don't believe someone is a lawyer but cannot spell the word 'business' but hey.