Farmers will vote for Trump in 2020. I know about 26 farmers and 18 ranchers. None of the farmers were too horrified at the changes with ethanol, and the few that were slightly irritated would never change their vote as a result. Talking about the "disastrous waiver decision" is another false and asinine talking point. 

• Like 1

(edited)

On 9/13/2019 at 5:47 PM, NickW said:

He made some pretty silly comments about wind power causing cancer etc although I agree he hasn't actually done anything to stop wind development. I assume the silly comments are largely a ploy to play to a certain section of his voter base. 

He may be referring to the fact that fiberglass can be a carcinogen. 

Which is about as absurd as talking about exposure to radioactive material if you live near a nuclear plant. 

Edited by KeyboardWarrior

(edited)

On 9/13/2019 at 6:40 PM, ronwagn said:

Your game is oil, I understand that. But look at other Americans fate also. Ethanol is potentially less expensive than gasoline, and helps farmers. It also is needed for safe octane boost. 

I dunno about the octane boost, but the other one is probably underway. 

[EDIT] Ah, I was totally wrong. It does provide an octane boost, as pure ethanol has a rating of 100. 

• Like 1

(edited)

15 hours ago, surrept33 said:

I think the worst thing about the rise of the RFS and corn-biofuel is that it called but killed the usage of methanol fuel additives, replacing it with bioethanol instead.

Methanol is intriguing for many different reasons:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/405436/the-methanol-economy/

105 octane rating, used by the Nazis as gasoline replacement (yes I knew about this far before that stupid article was released on Oilprice) 

I think it's awesome stuff, primarily because it can act as a go between for getting water and C02 into useful products. As long as nuclear is the source of power, this might eventually be profitable. 

Apparently a reverse water gas shift can be done with C02 and water, but I would think the temperatures would need to be pretty high to keep the excess oxygen from hopping back onto where it came from. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 5:00 PM, ronwagn said:

A lot of good statistics and graphs about farm income by size of farm, types of crops, and other agricultural sectors. 

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/ag-and-food-statistics-charting-the-essentials/farming-and-farm-income/

Most farmers receive off-farm income, but small-scale operators depend on it

BIG problem with that graph.  A gigantic number of "farms" are farms in name only to maintain their AG property tax bracket, and likewise maintain their ability to sell.  Vast majority of these farms are small.  The regulation says you must harvest a crop... well most harvest something like, Hay, Alfalfa, which may or may not get sold.  Or let their neighbors who ARE farmers run cattle on their land for a month or so.  Why more and more veggies are NOT grown locally.  Same goes for chicken/turkey raising.  If your farm is smaller than ~2000 acres, you cannot farm at today's rock bottom low prices.  Even 2000 acres is barely holding on unless you have optimum farm land in Ohio/Illinois.  At today's low prices you certainly cannot build new barns etc.   Now throw on the INSANE USDA regulations for what can and cannot be sold and it not difficult to understand why vegetables are not grown anymore other than in VERY LARGE corporate farms who can meet these insane USDA standards forcing any small farmer to sell at a farmers market only effectively 100% blocking them from the normal grocery store. 

• Like 2

(edited)

1 hour ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

BIG problem with that graph.  A gigantic number of "farms" are farms in name only to maintain their AG property tax bracket, and likewise maintain their ability to sell.  Vast majority of these farms are small.  The regulation says you must harvest a crop... well most harvest something like, Hay, Alfalfa, which may or may not get sold.  Or let their neighbors who ARE farmers run cattle on their land for a month or so.  Why more and more veggies are NOT grown locally.  Same goes for chicken/turkey raising.  If your farm is smaller than ~2000 acres, you cannot farm at today's rock bottom low prices.  Even 2000 acres is barely holding on unless you have optimum farm land in Ohio/Illinois.  At today's low prices you certainly cannot build new barns etc.   Now throw on the INSANE USDA regulations for what can and cannot be sold and it not difficult to understand why vegetables are not grown anymore other than in VERY LARGE corporate farms who can meet these insane USDA standards forcing any small farmer to sell at a farmers market only effectively 100% blocking them from the normal grocery store. 

I can only tell you how it works in corn, soybean, and light ranching operations throughout the major corn and soybean states. The majority of the production comes from large farms who can afford the requisite equipment. A lot of farmers have full time jobs, some of their wives do to. Their treasure is their small farm. They may have someone else who does a lot of the work on their farm and they may do it after their regular job. The acreage is very valuable and their main goal is to hang on to it as a family farm and their major asset/investment. Some of the less desirable acreage is used to raise cattle or hogs. There are plenty of farmers, but that may be because they own the land it is not their only income. 

Virtually nobody "lives off the land". They do not have a garden, dairy cow, a few goats, sheep for wool, chickens for egg and meat, a Ford tractor etc. That era is long gone. Some farmers collect the old tractors for nostalgia and show them off at local fairs. 

The Amish and Mennonites still live off the land, to a certain extent, but even their operations are a lot larger than you might expect. 

Edited by ronwagn
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

I can only tell you how it works in...... Their treasure is their small farm. They may have someone else who does a lot of the work on their farm and they may do it after their regular job. The acreage is very valuable and their main goal is to hang on to it as a family farm and their major asset/investment. Some of the less desirable acreage is used to raise cattle or hogs. There are plenty of farmers, but that may be because they own the land it is not their only income.

100%  I know several such people.  Several in my family as well. 

• Upvote 1

Here’s a novel idea, let’s keep ‘food out of fuel’, grow corn, etc... to feed animals and people, quit subsidizing farmer’s to grow corn simply to meet a government mandated fuel additive, and see how that works out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 3/5/2020 at 10:40 AM, KeyboardWarrior said:

He may be referring to the fact that fiberglass can be a carcinogen. 

Which is about as absurd as talking about exposure to radioactive material if you live near a nuclear plant. 

"If you have a windmill anywhere near your house, congratulations, your house just went down 75 percent in value," Trump told his fellow Republicans April 2.  "And they say the noise causes cancer.https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2019/apr/08/donald-trump/republicans-dismiss-trumps-windmill-and-cancer-cla/

1 hour ago, Jay McKinsey said:

"If you have a windmill anywhere near your house, congratulations, your house just went down 75 percent in value," Trump told his fellow Republicans April 2.  "And they say the noise causes cancer.https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2019/apr/08/donald-trump/republicans-dismiss-trumps-windmill-and-cancer-cla/

AND the Left proves they are stupid and have no clue what 2 words: "they say" mean...  or sarcasm

31 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

AND the Left proves they are stupid and have no clue what 2 words: "they say" mean...  or sarcasm

AND the Left proves ?  the words are out of Trumps mouth. He was more than serious when he made the comments the same as his comments on disinfectants being used to treat people with the virus. Defending a man who makes stupid comments is a fools game. Good luck. PS 40 percent of the corn crop goes into Ethanol. Expect corn to go down to $2.50 a bushel this summer. Weather in the corn belt is perfect, expect a bumper crop.

• Great Response! 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

12 hours ago, notsonice said:

AND the Left proves ?  the words are out of Trumps mouth. He was more than serious when he made the comments the same as his comments on disinfectants being used to treat people with the virus. Defending a man who makes stupid comments is a fools game. Good luck. PS 40 percent of the corn crop goes into Ethanol. Expect corn to go down to $2.50 a bushel this summer. Weather in the corn belt is perfect, expect a bumper crop.

Give you a hint about life: If you do not wish to continually look like a fool, do not quote 3rd hand "sources" who lie and twist words. 

12 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Give you a hint about life: If you do not wish to continually look like a fool, do not quote 3rd hand "sources" who lie and twist words. 

(edited)

On 4/29/2020 at 5:48 PM, Jay McKinsey said:

Your house value should decrease if you live near windmills, I sure as hell don't want to be near them. I'd rather have a nuclear plant on the horizon. At least I'd get to gaze at money well spent. 

Regardless, this doesn't do anything to address what I said before about fiberglass. 

9 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

Your house value should decrease if you live near windmills, I sure as hell don't want to be near them. I'd rather have a nuclear plant on the horizon. At least I'd get to gaze at money well spent. 

The critical constraint being "on the horizon". Windmills on the horizon don't affect property values either.