Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Global Beliefs of Human Responsibility for Climate Change

This is something I often consider. I often think far to much focus is put in CO2 when CH4 is much, much worse.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140327111724.htm

So, where do you draw the line? I think that humans played a roll in the initial rise, but I suspect this is a much broader problem with far far more variables than just human contribution. Were we the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back? Quite possibly. Are emissions from human activity the primary driver now? I don't think it's as likely.

The balance has probably been tipped, but the honest truth is that humans have only been on the planet for the blink of an eye relative to the planets development. We have better and better data to base models on as our methodology and research improves, but we don't gave the benefit of reliable observation for more than maybe 100 years? Less, depending on what you you consider reliable. Of course there are ice cores etc. But that's only a small piece of the picture at the time and hard to draw broad conclusions on. What I think we can definitively say is that small shifts in temperature can have exponential effects. 

As far as reducing carbon emissions, I don't think it's a bad idea. Should we hold the oil industry accountable and treat them as human rights violators, absolutely not. The same technology and energy born out of the oil revolution and resultant shift in society will also be what fuels the innovation to address these environmental concerns. The oil and gas industry is a large part of the solution, not the problem. 

Making irresponsible claims like what you hear from AOC and those types to progress an agenda that will cost Trillions of dollars is criminal though. That kind of sensationalism has got to be reigned in at some point. I hope people grow weary of all the doom and gloom and focus on practical solutions based on real science. We didn't get where we are over night and innovation has only occured exponentially faster throughout human development. I have no doubt human innovation will overcome whatever obstacles we've created through previous activity, regardless of what scale our actual CO2 contribution represents.

• Upvote 1