Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SM

US trade deficit hits highest level since 2008

The U.S. trade deficit in December and for the full year both rose to the highest levels since 2008. The deficit in December rose 5.3% to $53.1 billion, the Commerce Department said. According to the CD's data, the nation's trade gap in goods and services jumped 12.1 percent to $566 billion in 2017, up $61.2 billion from 2016, the highest level since the deficit hit $708.7 billion in 2008

Well, according same dataIn 2017, the U.S imported more foreign-made cars, computers, cell phones and other consumer goods, much of which was produced in China. The deficit in goods with China hit a record $375 billion. And you are telling me that we shouldn't go to "trade war" with them

Trade deficit is up, national debt is up, government borrowing doubled, stocks are heading down...Good thing 2017 is over 

On top of this, the Treasury just announced a 1 trillion dollar deficit for the coming fiscal year, and 84% increase over the 2017

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Trade deficit is up, national debt is up, government borrowing doubled, stocks are heading down...Good thing 2017 is over 

Obama cut the deficit by 3/4s.

June, 2016: 
“I’m the king of debt. I’m great with debt. Nobody knows debt better than me,” Trump told Norah O’Donnell in an interview that aired on CBS This Morning. “I’ve made a fortune by using debt, and if things don’t work out I renegotiate the debt. I mean, that’s a smart thing, not a stupid thing.”
“How do you renegotiate the debt?” 

“You go back and you say, hey guess what, the economy crashed,” Trump replied. “I’m going to give you back half.”

It's a fair trade off. Almost a trillion in investment and repatriation is happening. Liberals can whine all they want. It's still a net positive.

25 minutes ago, JohnAtronis said:

It's a fair trade off. Almost a trillion in investment and repatriation is happening. Liberals can whine all they want. It's still a net positive.

"Foreigners like American exports, but they love American assets. In a typical year, foreigners take about $500 billion of what they earn selling us imported goods and services and use those dollars to acquire U.S. assets. That’s another way of saying our $500 billion current account deficit is exactly offset by a $500 billion investment surplus. The net inflow of foreign capital allows our level of domestic investment to exceed our level of national savings, fueling productivity and growth. If politicians try to “fix” the trade deficit, they will only succeed in cutting off the net inflow of foreign investment, leading to higher interest rates and less investment in foreign-owned factories."

http://www.aei.org/publication/worried-about-trade-deficits-dont-they-are-job-generating-foreign-investment-surpluses-for-a-better-america/