Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Douglas Buckland

Millennials: A boil on the butt of the work ethic

3 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

Scott they don't wanna hear these stories as it goes against their perception. They wanna moan about you.

That's fair, I'm just waiting on then to retire so I can take their jobs anyway 😉

• Great Response! 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

What is the official rule then? I just miss out I think. Dang

I had to look it up to be sure....

Baby Boomers: Born 1946-1964 (54-72 years old) Generation X: Born 1965-1980 (38-53 years old) Millennials: Born 1981-1996 (22-37 years old) Post-Millennials: Born 1997-Present (0-21 years old)

(edited)

Why isn’t she is school, she playing truent get her butt back in school, scowling impudent brat. If I even thought about disrespecting an adult I would have felt the hairy side of my Dads hand in a nano second or quicker, the world has gone to $?!T we are doomed.

486A3376-A4F8-49C2-A0FD-B5351F6B9CA7.jpeg

Edited by James Regan

Was it in the original article for this post that I saw that we are responsible for the death of napkins, or one of the other bazillion articles laying the blame for the death of “xyz” at our feet (1987... with ya @PE Scott)?

Well, regardless, that sure was news to me, but I say good riddance to napkins, the half ass version of a paper towel. 

One more notch on our belt as the #destroyers-of-industries. 

PS - I’m really starting to like that title. It reminders me of Oppenheimer’s destroyer of worlds comment. 

6 minutes ago, PE Scott said:

I had to look it up to be sure....

haha me too, that's what I saw, I'm 1979, damn

5 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

Pleased to make your acquaintance sir. Or is it Zir? I get so confused, what with all the trans this and that nowadays. I have my own millennial children, and they despise the term. They also despise their "millennial" brethren who can't hold a job, can't hold a conversation and can't quit whining. I can't blame them. They've got cousins who epitomize all the negative complaints about millennials and can barely hold a job. Statistically it looks like a lost generation.

Do I blame the millennials? Hell no, I blame their PARENTS! Those kids didn't raise themselves, they didn't invent the rules so their "sports" consisted of scoreless "contests" where Everyone "won" a "Participation Trophy". Edumacation consisting of "math" that was incomprehensible to me, a math major. I had 30+ years of stomach churning revulsion to observe this train wreck coming. Society foisted this mess on all of us, even those members of society (like me) who complained vigorously that it was a disaster, to Cassandra applause. 

However, that said, there were those few who seem to have escaped the trap, who've learned, like you, to value a job well done. Kudos to you, you're the ones old farts like me are counting on to come up with solutions to the problems coming our way.  The only thing standing in your way? Other millennials…

Ha! I can relate... 

I remember as a kid, we moved for my dad's job and I missed the try-out period... so I was put in a league that assigned teams at random. At the end, we all got trophies. I quite vividly remember being given a trophy and being told 'congratulations'. We had won some games, and lost others, but I just responded: 'for what? Did we place?' - 'everyone's a winner' - 'Then what's the trophy for?' - 'to remember how great you did and that you all had fun' - 'Uh, no, sorry, we sucked. I don't want a trophy to remember how bad we were.' 

Then proceeded to go try out and join the competitive team the next season, with teammates who knew how to work and improve. Instead of 'good catch billy' it was 'widen that stance,  cover the mitt, hurry, pivot and throw quick!' - It's called coaching! (Takes twice as long with all those unnecessary congratulations in there) - and we proceeded to go win our division. That was a good feeling, not a participation trophy.

Anyway, yes, I'm a millennial as well - we're not all broken.

22 minutes ago, PE Scott said:

Sadly, I agree with pretty much all of you. That being said, I qualify as a millennial. I was born in 1984.

You all shake your fist in dismay, I look at post like @Douglas Buckland 's and see opportunity. I hope there are some other millenials out there reading this, but if you put in the work, don't bitch about everything, show up on time, and just generally try to be considerate of your employer and do everything you can to help their business flourish.....you'll get promoted very quickly. Honestly, it has never been easier to stand out. That initial foot in the door is the hardest part because, rightfully, older generations are hesitant to hire millenials. 

I mean, to our strengths we know how to operate computers and other technology pretty well. For example, look how I highlite and reference just a piece of a post.....

I'm just messing with you @Douglas Buckland, I completely agree with you. I also think, as Ward pointed out, that parents are the ones that acquiesced to all of this in the first place. What's worse, millenials are having kids now....likely the ones that @Jan van Eck is referring to at that demon academy. 

Still, I would have to agree with Ward's kids and say being lumped into millenials drives me nuts. I do my very best to be the opposite of what @Douglas Buckland was describing.

Nail, meet head.

That's always been my attitude too - my 'competition' is, on average, lackluster to say the least. There are lots of good people out there, but there is far more need for good, capable people than there are candidates. (Not that they couldn't... they just don't appear to be willing to)

Go get some skills, work hard, build a resume, and man, doors just open. Also, find an industry where a huge portion of the skilled labor is turning over in the next decade. They see what Doug is complaining about and freak out. When qualified candidates come along that have more than 10 years left to work, they jump! (It's actually unreal what they will do and how fast they will promote you if you show capability, a desire to advance, and the work ethic to back it up)

When I talk to my father about work, he's continually shocked at the advancement and benefits - and it's not rare. I have a bunch of friends who are killing it too - a bunch are doing even better than me (and good for them!). But I also have friends, and even some family that definitely AREN'T. The difference? Attitude and outlook. 

If you're a millennial reading this - good for you, you're probably already being the average just by using your free time to keep up with intelligent things. Keep it up, and realize you can achieve anything you're willing to work for. Realize there's a HUGE opportunity right in front of you, if you're willing to go get it.

Anyway, enough of my ranting.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

haha me too, that's what I saw, I'm 1979, damn

Readers may note that it is now one thirty in the morning on a work-week night and D.T. is still at it with razor wit and rapier mind.  And that, folks, is the power of C2H5OH  manually added to the brain cells, a process known as self-medication.....

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Otis11 said:

Anyway, enough of my ranting.

Well I disagree.

You ruin EVERYTHING.

(edited)

4 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

one thirty

12:30  and coffee addict, and Asian open woohoo

hahah just looked up what that formula is

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Otis11 said:

Also, find an industry where a huge portion of the skilled labor is turning over in the next decade.

Here's a thought for you:   air-carrier commercial air transport pilots.   (Mandatory retirement in that field.)

It will be interesting to listen in on the ranting between the pilots and the tower controllers in another ten years.....

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Jan van Eck said:

Here's a thought for you:   air-carrier commercial air transport pilots.   (Mandatory retirement in that field.)

It will be interesting to listen in on the ranting between the pilots and the tower controllers in another ten years.....

Another 10 years after that and the “pilot” may be a software engineer with an iPad in a “cabin” full of avionics and servers. 

I used to source and negotiate pilot training equip and there isn’t much flying going on even now once you get past regional jets. Fly-by-wire really means fly by computer. Take off and landing is still pilots in commercial air travel... but that’s not to say the computers couldn’t do it 99% of the time with current tech.

Of course, that requires flying public acceptance, which is understandably going to be slow when you’re putting people in a tube and launching them through the air at 30,000 feet. 

On the plus side, that should be the next generations fault!

22 minutes ago, ChrisG said:

Of course, that requires flying public acceptance, which is understandably going to be slow when you’re putting people in a tube and launching them through the air at 30,000 feet. 

The MAXX 8 debacle has put a permanent damper on the idea of computer software flying an aircraft.  

It is also my view that current pilots (especially in those budget Asian carriers springing up) are on the marginal side.  If you have a runaway trim tab control then everyone knows you pull the breaker(s), or in the case of the 37 there are those two cut-off toggle switches down on the lower right of the pedestal.  Notwithstanding that, two sets of pilots forgot all about it and tried to go fight with the trim tab and lost the aircraft.  Amazing.  What ever happened to "don't forget to fly the airplane!"?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tom Kirkman said:

feel bad that this made me laugh

why? , it's bang on

7 hours ago, BillKidd said:

You work three months straight of 14 hour days with no days off? Holy cow, how do you not go insane? What type of work, and where? Do you get a paycheck in months you don't work, do they spread it out, or not? Interesting.

I'm working in West Texas, I work 3 months then go home for a week then start over.  I am at my time almost to go home, but may stay til end of the year.  It's all a mental thing doing it, I just stay focused on my goals, sheer will and determination. 

• Great Response! 1

1 hour ago, PE Scott said:

That's the oilfield for you though. I think it takes a different breed. I just got off a 63 day hitch in the middle of no where. It was almost 30 miles to a paved road. Same 14 hour days after safety meetings and hand overs. For me, it isnt grueling work, but it does take a different mindset than what the typical millennial is described as having.

After those 63 days, I had a week off before going out for another indefinite hitch. Am I complaining? Hell no, I am very very glad to have the work.

A good way to prepare for oilfield work, do some time in the military. In fact, I sometimes think there would be virtue in requiring a year or two of military service. That's for another thread though.

I worked on 2 different Parker rigs, one in if I remember correctly was in 78 and was S.E, of Ft. Stockton, it was 12 on 12 off 7 days week no days off. Since was close to house wasn't too big a deal and kept me outta the bars :) other time was year later I was near Orla, Tx. Same gig, 12 on 12 off 7 days. No days off. I didn't last long on that rig as the speed limit was 55mph and 90 miles if I remember right. Get home, eat, shower, kiss the wife go to bed. Sleep 7 hours and go at it again. And Parker rigs didn't pay as well as say Tom Brown drilling or Penrod etc. A lot of crews abandoned ship. 

Different times back then. I eventually ended up on a 6 on 2 off rig, The wife was happy and made almost same money. I am grateful for the years I was able to work, though I didn't get to put any money back, at 19 I was more into the live for today mentality. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jan van Eck said:

The MAXX 8 debacle has put a permanent damper on the idea of computer software flying an aircraft.  

It is also my view that current pilots (especially in those budget Asian carriers springing up) are on the marginal side.  If you have a runaway trim tab control then everyone knows you pull the breaker(s), or in the case of the 37 there are those two cut-off toggle switches down on the lower right of the pedestal.  Notwithstanding that, two sets of pilots forgot all about it and tried to go fight with the trim tab and lost the aircraft.  Amazing.  What ever happened to "don't forget to fly the airplane!"?

No question that pilot training is not a universal standard, I would venture to say that you could heat map it based on a listing of accidents by country.

And while I agree that the MAXX 8 has thrown a wrench in it, the worlds success in drones has validated the potential, and the upsides of realizing that potential are pretty big. So I think it's only a matter of time... just might be a good bit longer now!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

I worked on 2 different Parker rigs, one in if I remember correctly was in 78 and was S.E, of Ft. Stockton, it was 12 on 12 off 7 days week no days off. Since was close to house wasn't too big a deal and kept me outta the bars :) other time was year later I was near Orla, Tx. Same gig, 12 on 12 off 7 days. No days off. I didn't last long on that rig as the speed limit was 55mph and 90 miles if I remember right. Get home, eat, shower, kiss the wife go to bed. Sleep 7 hours and go at it again. And Parker rigs didn't pay as well as say Tom Brown drilling or Penrod etc. A lot of crews abandoned ship. 

Different times back then. I eventually ended up on a 6 on 2 off rig, The wife was happy and made almost same money. I am grateful for the years I was able to work, though I didn't get to put any money back, at 19 I was more into the live for today mentality. 

I think it was '79, I worked on a rig that was 12/12 3 weeks on, one week off. As I recall they hired 4 crews at first, and told everyone they were dumping the worst crew. That inspired two things, one was to bust ass, but 2 was sabotage, which they should have thought of. Beginning of every shift we went around looking for the "traps" from the last crew. Got rid of one crew, they waited a few weeks then did it again. Goofy job, my crew "won" but I ended up working 8 weeks in a row, no time off. Finally got some time off, my car broke down and I just abandoned it, too much cash in my pocket, so I flew the rest of the way and visited my cousins. Flew back, bought another car, worked about 5 more weeks then said hasta la vista, abandoned that car and flew home. Also around 19 I think. Fun times, but lost my girlfriend in the process, the one who looked like Blake Lively. She didn't like me being gone so much. Ah well such is life. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ChrisG said:

As a millennial with a job that I enjoy, without debt, aggressively investing for the future, keenly interested in economics and history, and who greatly values a free and capitalistic society (after all, everything else is crap), I find the constant complaining from previous generations about “accommodating” millenials to be as pitiful as the snowflake safe zone attitude that the youngest portion of my generation has adopted.

As the economy has continued to integrate and we are verging on/already in a 4th industrial revolution, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that creative destruction is on an upswing. Unfortunately, that little, oft-conveniently-neglected element of a free market economy is leaving industries and specialized groups by the dumpster as new, previously unthoughtof industries rise up and create value for society, investors and employees. 

Going back a few sentences - can I go down a quick rabbit hole? Cool, thanks. Outside of Mutually Assured Destruction, global economic integration has been one of the most important elements in minimizing great power warfare... so that’s pretty cool. Maybe it’s worth not losing sight of that as we - correctly - challenge those economies trying to take advantage of said system. Ok... climbing back out of the hole now.

Are societal norms and generational preferences major drivers of who wins and loses? Of course... in addition to an incredibly rapid development of a “tech” industry - and in particular a more “ethereal” software component to value creation that is hard for many to understand given the lack of physical production. (You know, valuing things other than what you can touch and feel is just so childish).

Here’s the thing though - the makeup of the economy changes over time as society progresses, and I was taught by previous generations that it was part of what made capitalism awesome (and America badass). Now that it is hitting a few generations particularly hard, and these generations are having to adapt and change to new environments and expectations, it’s changed to “those damn kids on my lawn.”

So I suppose, now that the big bad millenials are trying to carve out their preferences in this short period we have on this planet and find fulfilling jobs to support those preferences, it’s only perfectly logical that we should do everything we can to smear their decisions. Hell, we should probably start subsidizing these poor, critically important industries that they, unlike any previous generation ever (lol - is that acceptable?), are so unfairly destroying. I mean, to think that industries that have been raking in massive amounts of profits (in the case of oil, 100+ years) should have to spend some of that money and pay some smart people to capitalize on these major changes is just so unfair (wait - that sounds like something a millenial would say...). 

Anyway, there’s so many things about the generational blame game that I find distatesful, I’ve sort of lost track of where I was going.

(Goes and eats an avocado toast - the devils food)

Oh yes, now I remember. Pull up your pants and put this vaunted work ethic to use and CAPITALIZE on the changes... be better than your competitors, make more profits and provide value to society (of which millennials are a part of). A business that doesn’t change, dies. Probably it used to be that older generations understood that- they’re the ones that taught it to me after all. 

Alternatively, b***h and moan, and perhaps we can set you up a competing safe space (adult day care) where the millenials cant keep destroying everything good in the world that your all knowing generation is so confident must survive or global catastrophe will ensue (sounds like another hot evil millenial topic...). 

- sincerely, a destroyer of industries

The issue was the lack of work ethic and the need to mollycoddle....try to stay on topic.

• Haha 1

Just now, Douglas Buckland said:

The issue was the lack of work ethic and the need to mollycoddle....try to stay on topic.

I should have clarified that the reason I ended up on the post in the first place was because I wanted to reply to the author of the original article, but was unable to find a place to comment on it... so I just posted that there.

• Like 1

Note to Others:

Day Trader is, well, a trader. As such he has no physical interaction with other human beings. Please take this into account when reading his commentary.

This is a public service announcement...😂

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Note to Others:

Day Trader is, well, a trader. As such he has no physical interaction with other human beings. Please take this into account when reading his commentary.

This is a public service announcement...😂

Plus, it should be noted that he tends to work 27 hours straight when he is on a trading roll  (which is pretty much always), and thus gets a bit punch-drunk by the end of those marathons.....

We make allowances for the successful.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

Also around 19 I think. Fun times, but lost my girlfriend in the process, the one who looked like Blake Lively.

ah, yes.   The impetuous, reckless mistakes of youth.  Aargh. 

• Like 1