Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Douglas Buckland

Millennials: A boil on the butt of the work ethic

2 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

A9FB6974-95F8-4C3F-A5F1-57D55968B8A5.jpeg

Did you just assume their gender ? !

e7ff8d08e3e64019300db894a6302863db5f6901910d7b5beb1acd41850a46a7.thumb.jpg.206b1431694e8afab5884fd215b4b50e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, cbrasher1 said:

I'm working in West Texas, I work 3 months then go home for a week then start over.  I am at my time almost to go home, but may stay til end of the year.  It's all a mental thing doing it, I just stay focused on my goals, sheer will and determination. 

I am oilfield, my brother was oilfield, I know a bunch of guys working oilfield and I don't know of anyone who works three months on and one week off of 14 hour days. What kind of job is this? I am surprised they even allow such a job due to burn out becoming a safety concern. This doesn't sound real to me. The only thing that I can think of is my brother was a mud logger in the latter part of his career and he did some long stints, but it was not a permanent thing. He was, essentially, there from spud to TD on some jobs. But you seem to be describing this as your ongoing job, and I don't get it. I feel bad for you, that is just insane! No time off for three months?

I knew galley hands in the Gulf of Mexico who would work months on end, but as it turned out, they were ‘running from the law’.

A rig was a good place to hide out.

• Like 1

You see a problem, for me it’s opportunity.  I’m born in 1981 with my wife a couple years younger.  While we are borderline by age in attitude we are firmly Gen X.

This has given both of us amazing opportunities.  Both of us grew up on farms.  100+ hour weeks were our summers for little to no pay.

School was easy.  Many other students weren’t interested in boring but solid employment careers.  I held down a job while going to school and worked hard in the summers.
My first year out of school I worked 864 hours of overtime.  My company didn’t pay overtime.  They did however quickly promote me.  As the years have rolled by more promotions and a couple of job changes have occurred.

Last Thursday I was laid off.  A new president had come in and wanted his own people in place.  I got a 6 month package deal.  The next morning I received an email that after a couple of phone calls resulted in a new job starting later this week.  I get to manage a 150 employee company.  My Reputation and loyalty were well known in my industry.

Moral of the story is being old school means a lot of opportunity and my competition typically seems weak and lacklustre.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, BillKidd said:

I am oilfield, my brother was oilfield, I know a bunch of guys working oilfield and I don't know of anyone who works three months on and one week off of 14 hour days. What kind of job is this? I am surprised they even allow such a job due to burn out becoming a safety concern. This doesn't sound real to me. The only thing that I can think of is my brother was a mud logger in the latter part of his career and he did some long stints, but it was not a permanent thing. He was, essentially, there from spud to TD on some jobs. But you seem to be describing this as your ongoing job, and I don't get it. I feel bad for you, that is just insane! No time off for three months?

I work safety, h2s tech, also help out when short handed with gate guards.  It is an ongoing job, our policy is 21/7, but I have no wife, gf, daughter is 19, so what do I need to go home for?  If I wanted a day off I could get it, but I did not come 8 hrs away from home to sit at a man camp trailer.  It's basically a personal choice to do it, but I'm trying to get stuff paid off while the work is there...

• Upvote 3

You will notice that Peter Fonda (the guy in the back for you Millennials) has no front brake on his bike. He was either a REAL MAN (like say John Wayne or Clint Eastwood) or exceptionally mentally challenged (like say his sister).

• Haha 1

David Hogg Thunberg, Climate Control Expert.

Making schools and climate safer by restricting ... erm, rights.

(Ever notice how kids are used by adults to push adult totalitarian agendas?)

lhxdogstrfo31.thumb.jpg.07531d27b4077ed5225de28cd8e07c5f.jpg

• Upvote 1

(edited)

18 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

David Hogg Thunberg, Climate Control Expert.

Making schools and climate safer by restricting ... erm, rights.

(Ever notice how kids are used by adults to push adult totalitarian agendas?)

lhxdogstrfo31.thumb.jpg.07531d27b4077ed5225de28cd8e07c5f.jpg

I know someone else who had the same plan, it was very affective the Hitlerjugend- No Scowls though real believers. With discipline, ear clipping is an affective tool and not too much coca cola.....

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 05.04.57.png

Edited by James Regan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/22/2019 at 11:12 PM, Douglas Buckland said:

I found a list of Millennial characteristics on the internet...

Meaning you don't know any of these people personally. I'm presuming you don't have any kids or grandkids.

With the US unemployment rate below 4%, 'corporate entities' are trying to fill their convenience stores and burger joints with minimum wage drones, and finding out that university educated young people have some self respect. Frustrated employers then start slapping all kinds of 'entitled', 'spoiled', and 'lazy' generalizations on a group of people whose greatest privilege is American citizenship.

I've been in job interviews where it was clear in a matter of seconds that the HR people were used to hiring warehouse workers and truck drivers, and had no idea how to interview a programmer. This isn't the 1950's. Bad employers get written up on GlassDoor. If your 'corporate entity' is treating young people the way this blog post starts out, it's getting written up. Those that don't understand Millennial thinking might have to do some research. Or they might have to hire people in HR that understand this group of people.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

or exceptionally mentally challenged

or they were both coked off their face

26 minutes ago, Meredith Poor said:

Meaning you don't know any of these people personally. I'm presuming you don't have any kids or grandkids.

With the US unemployment rate below 4%, 'corporate entities' are trying to fill their convenience stores and burger joints with minimum wage drones, and finding out that university educated young people have some self respect. Frustrated employers then start slapping all kinds of 'entitled', 'spoiled', and 'lazy' generalizations on a group of people whose greatest privilege is American citizenship.

I've been in job interviews where it was clear in a matter of seconds that the HR people were used to hiring warehouse workers and truck drivers, and had no idea how to interview a programmer. This isn't the 1950's. Bad employers get written up on GlassDoor. If your 'corporate entity' is treating young people the way this blog post starts out, it's getting written up. Those that don't understand Millennial thinking might have to do some research. Or they might have to hire people in HR that understand this group of people.

So because I went out and found a list (making my own would have been biased), this somehow equates to me not knowing any Millenials?

Your logic is flawed from the start.

I have met, hired, fired, worked with and mentored many Millenials and find most of them to be childish, entitled adult wannabes with a poor work ethic.

If your experience with Millenials is different, just say so. Your opinion is jusy as valid as mine on this forum.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 10:42 PM, Jan van Eck said:

If you think the Millenials are bad, I invite you to go drop in on your local elementary school and watch the "little snits" of the next generation running rampant.  Those charmers will:  spit on the teachers, throw food, run out of the school (forcing some teacher to go sprint after them), hit each other, bite each other, bite the teaching staff,  urinate on their shoelaces, tell outrageous lies, refuse to cooperate, scream,  and demand attention.  Goes on all day long.  And yes, the teaching staff gets totally burned out.  

I shudder for where the country will be with THAT generation.

America is splitting into two societies:
1) The leftist snowflakes who can't work, run the schools, and turn their communities into 3rd world s***holes.
2) The families who maintained traditional values, save their money, and invest in private schooling. 

Conveniently, it's the traditional families who are having more kids.  Within a generation or two, their  values will once again dominate the country - not because they evangelized, but because they procreated. 

To wit: Missouri University of Science and Technology was once a promising school, but the quality of education has declined to the point where classes are nigh useless.  In response, industry engineers have helped Benedictine College - a small, private, Catholic college in middle-of-nowhere Kansas - stand up a full college of engineering.  All the core engineering disciplines on top of a competent foundation in the liberal arts.  It's everything employers need. 

America is built on constant creation of new institutions to replace old, sclerotic institutions.  Education is no exception. 

• Upvote 1

work ethic protocol; shomtocol

I am an analog guy in a digital world. Very analog, in fact. But even I recognize that millenials have a lot to offer. I feel sorry for those that doesn't understand how to make lemonade from lemonade.... 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

work ethic protocol; shomtocol

hey that's my line!

but more importantly ...

image.png.1c94a48767f8339e42d094ad835e5472.png

2 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

hey that's my line!

Sorry bud... 

it was either steal your line or say something insulting... 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Note to Others:

Day Trader is, well, a trader. As such he has no physical interaction with other human beings. Please take this into account when reading his commentary.

This is a public service announcement...😂

Haha wtf is this?

Unemployment is low. Very low across most of the US. Supply and demand rules apply to the job market just like it does to every thing else. 

The younger generation has a wealth of opportunities and the employers that don’t adapt to this will suffer.

As with everything else in life this will change and I bet the millennial generation will adapt. Or at least the those capable of adapting will thrive and those that don’t will come to whatever equals a forum like this in the future and bitch, bitch, bitch. 😏

You are either part of the solution or you are part of the problem. Corny old quote that we have all heard many times in life but it is spot on.

• Great Response! 1

(edited)

''Ooh the youth of today''

''Wasn't like this in my day''

''They don't know how lucky they are''

Jeez. Cry me a river.

Edited by Guest

(edited)

14 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Please take this into account when reading his commentary.

This place NEEDS my commentary to wake it up.

You'd be chatting on 2 year old threads if it wasn't for me, and quite possibly still moaning about younger people.

Edited by Guest

On 9/22/2019 at 10:43 PM, Jan van Eck said:

Your solution is to hire guys in their seventies.  They know how to work, and buckle down to get the job done right. 

hahaha - you mean the type that doesn't even know how to troubleshoot issues on their computer?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TomTom said:

hahaha - you mean the type that doesn't even know how to troubleshoot issues on their computer?

Oh, sure they do.  You carry the thing outside in the back yard and whack it with a 10-lb. sledgehammer.  Solves everything. 

• Haha 1