Millennials: A boil on the butt of the work ethic

3 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

As long as there's no one under 30 in this Safe Space 

d7ofifcu7eo31.jpg.20dd648551f46808ff8e50cfb548de75.jpg

• Haha 1

(edited)

19 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

As long as there's no one under 30 in this Safe Space 

That statement carries no weight whatsoever "safe space", who's supervising? Lead Millennial or monitor, I shudder to think how safe this place is, it must be full constantly.

@Tom Kirkman picture shows you exactly what were in for, imagine if Daenerys Targaryen (Mother of all Dragons for you old Gits) above actually manages to get somewhere in her life, we will be screwed, that scowl wasn't just for POTUS it was for all of us Oil lovers. 

My safe place was out the F456ing window and run to my friends house who's mum was a hippy to escape the good thrashing I had obviously deserved, a good whipping apparently never did me any harm, not long term any way, I think, maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by James Regan
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

I am a millenial by definition. just barely. But still. 

More importantly, however, I am a solutions orientated person. Simply stating what we don't like doesn't solve anything. 

I am an engineer by trade, I’ve been in the game for over 30 years. Solutions are fine...but you’ve got to accurately define the problem first or your ‘solution’ will not be applicable to the problem.

The problem with MOST of the millennials, WHICH I HAVE ENCOUNTERED (your experience may differ) is that they act like entitled little brats, expect to be ‘hand fed’ on the job, are not to be even remotely confused with a ‘self starter’, and threaten to quit if thing’s are not going their way!

Notice that I have never indicated that they were unable to perform the job, they are, and yes they are much more proficient with computers and information technology than my generation. What they lack is a reasonable work ethic and drive!

Many people have responded to my original post suggesting that I am a poor manager or that I must somehow connect with and nurture these people. How the hell am I supposed to nurture adults whose poor attitudes have been ingrained since birth!

There are still millennials out there that want a job, want to work and want to succeed. I’d rather spend my time finding those people than babysitting a bunch of adults acting like adolescents.

43 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

Sorry if I came off wrong. Am busy so trying to multi-task.

No problem, I get that way as well...👍🏻

(edited)

3 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

I am an engineer by trade, I’ve been in the game for over 30 years. Solutions are fine...but you’ve got to accurately define the problem first or your ‘solution’ will not be applicable to the problem.

The problem with MOST of the millennials, WHICH I HAVE ENCOUNTERED (your experience may differ) is that they act like entitled little brats, expect to be ‘hand fed’ on the job, are not to be even remotely confused with a ‘self starter’, and threaten to quit if thing’s are not going their way!

Notice that I have never indicated that they were unable to perform the job, they are, and yes they are much more proficient with computers and information technology than my generation. What they lack is a reasonable work ethic and drive!

Many people have responded to my original post suggesting that I am a poor manager or that I must somehow connect with and nurture these people. How the hell am I supposed to nurture adults whose poor attitudes have been ingrained since birth!

There are still millennials out there that want a job, want to work and want to succeed. I’d rather spend my time finding those people than babysitting a bunch of adults acting like adolescents.

Doug your not getting it really, its our fault....

When in the UK we banned thrashings in school by adults (Teachers) and parents decided to take the reasoning of a snotty nosed brat and take schools to court, we started the revolution. My last worry was the teacher I was heading for a double hitter, my Mum and Dad (God Bless them, they did not understand the way of the modern folk) would give me the biggest hiding for being beaten at school, no questions asked.

We did this and have to live with, we can either go with Bean Bags and ping pong or take control before were too old.

16 year old preaching to the UN, haha, I could barely get my ass to school on time....

Edited by James Regan

33 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Douglas, I think this forum has a Safe Space / Time Out corner hidden away somewhere.  If you feel the need.  Always happy to help : )

No need Tom, I think everything has calmed down a bit.

3 minutes ago, James Regan said:

Doug your not getting it really, its our fault....

Dammit! The answer was there in front of me all the time!😂

• Haha 1

Just now, Douglas Buckland said:

No need Tom, I think everything has calmed down a bit.

I was joking.  Hope that was obvious.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

d7ofifcu7eo31.jpg.20dd648551f46808ff8e50cfb548de75.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 08.21.22.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Dammit! The answer was there in front of me all the time!😂

Doug remember all that good stuff you were taught by your good folks growing up, forget it all and now place you at that age, but your in control of the next generation, hey presto a Millenial

(edited)

34 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

This is my experience, too. But, I am slowly accepting that maybe I need approach things differently. If I get the right results does the process really matter ? 

34 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

with computers and information technology than my generation.

You are probably better with tech than I am. 

-----------------------

Let me be clear - my personal feeling is the same as yours. I have a young family, but still does what is needed. It annoys me that others don't have the same mindset, but when life gives you lemons you make lemonade; even if you want coke... 

Edited by Rasmus Jorgensen
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

when life gives you lemons you make lemonade; even if you want coke... 

Love it.

Calm down DT....coke as in Coca Cola, not the stuff that drives the NYSE!😄

• Great Response! 1

19 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

Love it.

But what if I really want a coke and will do anything to get it.

22 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

This is my experience, too. But, I am slowly accepting that maybe I need approach things differently. If I get the right results does the process really matter ? 

You are probably better with tech than I am. 

-----------------------

Let me be clear - my personal feeling is the same as yours. I have a young family, but still does what is needed. It annoys me that others don't have the same mindset, but when life gives you lemons you make lemonade; even if you want coke... 

I hear you Rasmus. I just can’t figure out how we ended up where we are at.

(edited)

24 minutes ago, James Regan said:

Colombia pretty close mate. 

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, James Regan said:

You

1) Go live an old school life (that others secretly envy) somewhere tropical like Brasil or

2) Go post on oilprice.com 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

I hear you Rasmus. I just can’t figure out how we ended up where we are at.

philosopical answer : Consumerism; we want everything and want to display status. As a result not enough effort / sacrifice is put into raising kids right... 

Short answer : social media & leftist conspiracy to take over the world 

• Great Response! 1

13 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

philosopical answer : Consumerism; we want everything and want to display status. As a result not enough effort / sacrifice is put into raising kids right... 

Short answer : social media & leftist conspiracy to take over the world 

This is the reality... Shocking reality of how social media is so powerful in the hands of Milleinals. :(

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7448703/Horrifying-moment-29-year-old-fashion-designer-activist-jumps-building-Brazil.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/instagram-suicide-girl-poll-malaysia-borneo-police-a8914646.html

47 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

Colombia pretty close mate. 

I almost took the bait the first time, but glad you did, imagine a Millenial crack head junkie, would they adapt the same tactics as pre millennial mediocre stuff like robbing your house when your "working"? 

Best option would be to Rob other Millennials while there in the safe space, would be easy pickings as they are so predictable, but would the millennial dope fiend get off his ass to actually feed his habit or just say F45K it and go cold turkey. Oh the dilemmas the Dinosaurs have to ponder.....

Most of what you're saying about the Millennials is true. however you have to also consider how can we have any loyalty towards a company when a company has no loyalty towards its employees these days. In the good old days you know back when the older generation was working they had pensions to help take care of them when they got older now we have some BS 401k. You also had the advantage being hired to sweep floors and if you showed initiative then you would get to move to another position higher up and this would continue all the way up. You also didn't have to deal with prices that make what little paycheck we do get these days go before Monday even hits without even being able to enjoy the weekend at all, and don't get me started on the price of houses these days since most of the people in your generation only had to pay $20,000 for new house and we have to pay a quarter million. So yes Millennials are lazy we are disengaged and we have no loyalty for the companies we work for. I personally stillput forth an effort to make sure the job gets done but no I do not work hard. And if your generation is taught us anything it's simply that you don't give a shit what we think so why should we bother to be engaged in anything. Loyalty, that's a joke if I ever heard it. What are we supposed to stay with the company till the owner sells it and then the new owner lays off half of the employees.

31 minutes ago, JZBoozell said:

So yes Millennials are lazy we are disengaged and we have no loyalty for the companies we work for.

Most of us never wore the shirt either, unless you managed to work for a boutique family company in this business, most of whom have been swallowed up by the corporate lawn mower and turned into millennial walking dead scenes. There still exists the theory that if you work hard and outshine your colleagues you will prosper, lets face it, its not that hard considering the competition. Head down arse up and you will reap the rewards. Go the extra mile, take a hit for the team etc etc. Develop your skillset, open your horizons by maybe learning another language or sweep the floor some times, clean up your desk.

Just get off your arses and make a difference from your colleagues if not you will end up eating yourselves, which may help the AGW agenda so prized with the new breads.

(edited)

"Develop your skillset, open your horizons by maybe learning another language or sweep the floor some times, clean up your desk"
I agree 100% I firmly believe and self-improvement.
But if you have your "head down and your arse up" all you're going to get is the shaft
You know sometimes I think I'm the only Millennial that doesn't know how to use all this stuff. 

Edited by JZBoozell
Because I'm the only Millennial that doesn't know how to operate this stuff
  • Upvote 1

Haha love the edit 

8 hours ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

The other way of looking at this is that the older generation are terrible managers if they don't know how to lead millenials.

Rasmus managing and leading are 2 different things entirely!

Managing means a manager should ensure the daily functioning of a group of employees to fulfill their expected duties in a timely and efficient manner.

Leading on the other hand is to inspire their colleagues to achieve their goals and aspirations through innovation and new ideas, They do not have to be in a senior position to be a leader.

Sorry to be pedantic but its a key difference.