Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

''I Love You China''

(edited)

BEIJING (Reuters) -  Chinese state media released videos of foreign citizens praising the country on the eve of celebrations to mark the 70th anniversary of the People’s Republic, as new research showed declining perceptions of China in many western countries. 

The videos, published over the weekend ahead of a vast military parade scheduled for Oct. 1, show foreign citizens, identified by country, singing patriotic ballads and praising China’s culture and development. 

“I love you China... I love your homegrown sugar cane, that quenches my heart like milk,” sang a chorus of singers including Canadians, Germans and Americans in a video filmed in the eastern city of Nanjing. The video was posted by state broadcaster CCTV with English subtitles on YouTube, which is blocked by authorities inside the country. Another video showed Thai citizens praising Chinese movies, bridge engineering and traditional food with hashtags linking to the country’s 70th anniversary celebrations. The patriotic videos, designed to bolster support for the anniversary of the establishment of Communist Party-ruled China, were released as attitudes towards China in many countries have darkened amid a backlash over trade, Hong Kong and human rights. 

A new report released on Monday by the U.S.-based Pew Research Center showed that perceptions of China have declined in the past year in countries including the United States, which is locked in a bitter trade war with Beijing. Canada, Sweden and Australia, which have had diplomatic disputes with China, have also seen perceptions weaken. A median of 41% of respondents in 32 countries surveyed have a favourable opinion of China, compared with a median of 37% with an unfavourable opinion, the survey found. Nearly 35,000 people were surveyed. 

Countries that viewed China more favourably included Russia, where 71% of people polled viewed the country positively, while young people across all countries had more positive attitudes in general. President Xi Jinping will oversee Tuesday’s military celebration, which will include people from foreign countries, organisers have said.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-china-anniversary-trade/i-love-you-china-beijing-enlists-foreign-voices-ahead-of-anniversary-idUKKBN1WF1JM

Edited by Guest

For me it is really not funny.

As a young kid I was singing about Lenin, didn't know it was a tyrannical monster and Poland was under communist rule.

Later, in 1990s Americans became our masters and are till present, and best masters they are, you can criticize them and still be free.

But new masters are waiting: the Chinese, I hope I will not sing about Mao or Xi ever in my life.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Marcin said:

ever in my life.

wow we agree on something  :) 

(edited)

How do you figure that American’s are your new master? 

Edited by Douglas Buckland
Extra text
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, DayTrader said:

BEIJING (Reuters) -  Chinese state media released videos of foreign citizens praising the country on the eve of celebrations to mark the 70th anniversary of the People’s Republic, as new research showed declining perceptions of China in many western countries. 

The videos, published over the weekend ahead of a vast military parade scheduled for Oct. 1, show foreign citizens, identified by country, singing patriotic ballads and praising China’s culture and development. 

“I love you China... I love your homegrown sugar cane, that quenches my heart like milk,” sang a chorus of singers including Canadians, Germans and Americans in a video filmed in the eastern city of Nanjing. The video was posted by state broadcaster CCTV with English subtitles on YouTube, which is blocked by authorities inside the country. Another video showed Thai citizens praising Chinese movies, bridge engineering and traditional food with hashtags linking to the country’s 70th anniversary celebrations. The patriotic videos, designed to bolster support for the anniversary of the establishment of Communist Party-ruled China, were released as attitudes towards China in many countries have darkened amid a backlash over trade, Hong Kong and human rights. 

A new report released on Monday by the U.S.-based Pew Research Center showed that perceptions of China have declined in the past year in countries including the United States, which is locked in a bitter trade war with Beijing. Canada, Sweden and Australia, which have had diplomatic disputes with China, have also seen perceptions weaken. A median of 41% of respondents in 32 countries surveyed have a favourable opinion of China, compared with a median of 37% with an unfavourable opinion, the survey found. Nearly 35,000 people were surveyed. 

Countries that viewed China more favourably included Russia, where 71% of people polled viewed the country positively, while young people across all countries had more positive attitudes in general. President Xi Jinping will oversee Tuesday’s military celebration, which will include people from foreign countries, organisers have said.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-china-anniversary-trade/i-love-you-china-beijing-enlists-foreign-voices-ahead-of-anniversary-idUKKBN1WF1JM

https://pjmedia.com/claudiarosett/glory-to-hong-kong/

(edited)

16 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

How do you figure that American’s are your new master? 

Well its well known fact in Poland that USA is new master I can confirm that especially in last few years.

You can use google tranlator and read what many people in Poland not authorities really think about this partnership. Its one of biggest polish forums for well-educated people called historycy.org (historians) and most people dont really have any illusions about current state of affairs.

http://www.historycy.org/index.php?showtopic=97196&hl=

And polish foreign Radosław Sikorski minister in 2014 privately illegally recorded after US suport for  Maidan said this

Sikorski dzieli się z Jackiem Rostowskim, ówczesnym ministrem finansów, wnioskami dotyczącymi polskiej polityki zagranicznej. Sikorski mówi w nich: „Polsko-amerykański sojusz jest nic niewart. Jest wręcz szkodliwy, bo stwarza Polsce fałszywe poczucie bezpieczeństwa (...). Bullshit kompletny. Skonfliktujemy się z Niemcami, z Rosją i będziemy uważali, że wszystko jest super, bo zrobiliśmy laskę Amerykanom. Frajerzy. Kompletni frajerzy. Problem w Polsce jest taki, że mamy bardzo płytką dumę i niską samoocenę. Taka murzyńskość”

Let me translate this

Sikorski shares with Jacek Rostowski, then the Minister of Finance, conclusions regarding Polish foreign policy. Sikorski says in them: "The Polish-American alliance is worth nothing. It is downright harmful because it creates a false sense of security for Poland (...). Bullshit complete. We will be in conflict with Germany, Russia and we will think that everything is great, because we made a favor for the Americans. Suckers. Complete losers. The problem in Poland is that we have very shallow pride and low self-esteem. Such a negro. "

Correction = In fact he said not |made a favor| but made a blowjob but it was private honest discussion connected with vodka consumption. 

Former polish goverment had much better relation with EU especially Germany and even Russia. Now we are called US trojan horse in Europe and Mr Sikorski former FM correctly predicted it more than 5 years ago

So no really not many people have illusions about this partnership.

Biggest tablod in Poland commented this statement by this article

https://www.fakt.pl/wydarzenia/polityka/sikorski-o-robieniu-loda-i-stosunkach-polsko-amerykanskich/l7g1lt4#slajd-5

Polish diplomacy has been ridiculed and exposed. It seems that for six years as Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski lied to Poles, assuring them of the important role of the Polish-American alliance. - "The Alliance and the announced permanent presence of American troops in Poland affect our geopolitical stability. It also raises the ratings of the Polish economy and increases the readiness of foreign investors to invest in our country. An Alliance is something you have for a rainy day, "said Radoslaw Sikorski, quoted by IAR, during a visit to Washington in March 2012. Meanwhile, in a private conversation, Sikorski talks about Polish-American relations. - Bullshit (from: g ... true - ed.) Complete. We will be in conflict with Germany, Russia and we will think that everything is great, because we've done a favor to the Americans. Suckers, complete suckers - these are the words of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs spoken to Jacek Rostowski. And in fact, Polish soldiers have been dying in the American wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for years. Meanwhile, Poland cannot ask for the visa waiver, which would make it easier for Poles to travel freely to the USA. "- We have very shallow pride and low self-esteem. Such negro, ”admits Sikorski on tape. It is a pity that the head of Polish diplomacy can afford such honesty only in relation to a colleague from the government, and not to ordinary Poles who pay him a monthly salary. What hypocrisy!

Edited by Tomasz

How does a post on China morph into a post on Poland? 

Anyway, I see Poland as deja vu. Not too long ago, Poland was a kingdom with an inept, corrupt autocracy, who felt secure in its pact with the world's dying hegemon. Back then, Poland broke under the "stress test". Today, Poland is so-called democratic with an inept, corrupt oligarchy, who feel secure in their pact with the world's dying hegemon. As before, Poland will break under the next stress test, but the question is, what will remain? 

On 9/30/2019 at 10:52 PM, DayTrader said:

So either the singers are terribly brainwashed zombies, or they know some things we do not.  As for Canada, Canada is toast, the lapdog of the USA: the USA-CDA trade "agreement" ensures Canada cannot have any other trade agreements with any other countries without USA permission. Canada arrested a major PRC personage, on no legal grounds: that person has committed no crime under Canadian law and is being detained arbitrarily. Canada instigated the hostility. Canada will get from China what she deserves: no respect, no trade, and worse may be to come. 

So let’s look at the proceeding posts:

First, apparently Poland kneels down before the USA, on her own accord, and somehow this shows the US forced the master/servant scenario. Seems to me that IF the information on the post is accurate, then Poland did this to themselves.

Secondly, Canada is a lap dog of the US for signing a trade agreement. Somehow this morphs into a post about how unfair it was for Canada to serve a warrant on the angelic CFO for skirting sanctions.

Seems to me that, assuming the info in the post is accurate, that both Poland and   China need to pull on their ‘big boy pants’ and start taking responsibility for THEIR actions

• Like 1

(edited)

This entire thread confuses me.  What does Poland have to do with this? 

Also, China is not a person, which means that it cannot take responsibility for its actions nor can it be "loved" in the traditional sense.  "Loving China" or "asking it to take responsibility" is like "loving your desk" or "asking your desk to take responsibility."  Similarly, you cannot toast a country like the way you toast bread.  So unless we're discussing global warming, Canada cannot actually be toasted.

Very little in this thread seems to make much sense.  

Edited by Zhong Lu
  • Like 1

So are you saying that absolutely NO entity in China is able, or willing, to take responsibility for the actions taken by the government or people of China? What about Xi? Isn’t that part of the job description for Head of State for Life?

If you can’t love your country, what was all that nonsense in Beijing yesterday? Love of Military Hardware Day?

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1

(edited)

What's happening on a neurological level is the brain is anthropomorphizing concepts like "China" or "US" or "Canada."  When people think of these words, they think of them as if these words represented people.  E.g:  Canada is toast.  Love China as if it was your mom.  Iran is at fault here.  Russia is evil.  Africa sucks.  Etc. 

In other words, we extend our usual standards of morality that we apply to individual people over to countries.  

But countries aren't individual people.  They're collections of millions of people living in a geographic region. Countries are objects, which means that countries can't take responsibility for their actions (nor can it be loved), at least not in the way we normally think of it.  

What the Communist party is trying to do is to use group pressure to build a sense of nationalism.  Our brains are attuned to our neighbors.  By getting a group of people to shout slogans, it encourages others to shout slogans, too.  If enough people do so, then the party can credibly claim "yes, the Chinese people love the government and China."  

Think of it as like the market.  If enough people move in one direction, it creates a self-fulfilling prophecy where the majority will follow because if they don't they're either missing out on an opportunity or they're f-ed.

[Speaking of which, the selling isn't stopping.  Not that it matters to me since I got my 1% and I'm already out for the day].

Edited by Zhong Lu

10 hours ago, Zhong Lu said:

What the Communist party is trying to do is to use group pressure to build a sense of nationalism.  Our brains are attuned to our neighbors.  By getting a group of people to shout slogans, it encourages others to shout slogans, too.  If enough people do so, then the party can credibly claim "yes, the Chinese people love the government and China."  

Think of it as like the market.  If enough people move in one direction, it creates a self-fulfilling prophecy where the majority will follow because if they don't they're either missing out on an opportunity or they're f-ed.

Z1ToXOs.thumb.jpg.98b1ef20b6b91102d9180a38f6a0103f.jpg

Is that a frog? 

3 hours ago, Zhong Lu said:

Is that a frog? 

Yep, a very rare Pepe frog.

And this is an even rarer Winnie the Pooh image, banned in China.  Colorized, 2019.

bkfwjiE_d.thumb.jpg.65fd4c6e231462c0ea7df32aa2c17609.jpg

So if countries can not take responsibility, who is responsible for that country’s actions?

Now in a democracy, you could assign responsibility to the ‘country’ as the people in that country voted in the government that took the action.

But in a communist country, with a dictator for life, who is responsible for the actions taken by that country? I would assume that this would be the said dictator for life.

• Like 1