Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PP

EU Opens Door To Balkans With 2025 Target For Membership

The European Commission says it wants to speed up the process of inclusion of six Balkan countries as members of the European Union: Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Serbia. Last chance and last train for these poor countries?

In my opinion move is also aimed at weakening Russia’s influence in the region.

The more countries they invite to join the more of current members will want to leave this project. I'm not sure in better future EU with these Balkan's countries in EU.

Where does the acceptance of new membership stop?

As I know your country was also poor and undeveloped, and you got a chance for EU.. What's a difference with last invitation for these countries?!

It would be nice if the EU started cleaning up and getting its organisation in order before accepting more members who struggle enough themselves. I am not advocating against the support of development in the Western Balkan but first these things....

They must take decisive action fast, before people start loosing the little hope they have left. Bulgaria and Romania came in with standards below Serbia, Bosnia or Montenegro. We will inject new vitality and vigor into an aging Europe, I'm sure in that.

It would be interesting to see all 6 former Yugoslav republics in EU!  Last time when they were together it was a horrible war in the last century

EU are losing support in every country, populism, right wing parties on the rise and decisions like this can be helpful for ultras.. It could be big problem for EU future.

The fact is that many of these countries are not ready for EU, but it doesn't mean we are not part of EU integration. Meanwhile, we are sending a bad message during the integration process. Last example from my country- Bosnia has failed to reach an important cooperation agreement with Europol because officials in the country couldn't agree on what address to list in the agreement.

Simple, Pav. Let's bring them in when they're ready. Like the last three times...

2 hours ago, damirUSBiH said:

In my opinion move is also aimed at weakening Russia’s influence in the region.

weakening Russia there started in 2007 when they accepted Romania and Bulgaria. And those countries were even poorer than these we are talking about now 

So what, there's more seats at the table now with Brexit? Now Bosnia is good enough for the EU? Bosnia will be among the most difficult to bring on because of their three-headed govt and the fact that no one can ever agree on anything. 

Even without these 6 countries, EU has a many problems.  Shouldn't we ( I'm speaking like a EU citizen) first solve the already existing  internal issues before we drag those western Balkan countries into EU ? Stop running, start looking around to see what really needs our attention.

Each of EC reports about Western Balkan has a clear message. Stability, welfare and peace in Europe can only be secured when EU support the Western Balkan countries. 

And, maybe hardest and most important question: What about Kosovo, or where is Kosovo in last EU call?

Kosovo's problem has to be resolved between Belgrade, Pristina and Brussels. Without dialogue in this triangle, Serbia (Kosovo too) can't expecting EU integration. 

Yup, and then Russia's coming in this gap.  Free space for obstruction