Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RJ

Offshore is changing

https://www.energyvoice.com/otherenergy/209199/saipem-has-made-uk-offshore-wind-sector-a-priority-north-sea-boss-says/

@Tom Kirkman @Douglas Buckland @James Regan

when the wind of change are blowin' you can choose to either build turbines (i.e. see opportunities) or build shelters (i.e. be a luddite). There's opportunity in wind.

Saipem is free to prioritize wind turbines.  Personally, I have no interest in those monstrosities, and I do not see wind turbines realistically making a big dent in demand for oil & gas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

and I do not see wind turbines realistically making a big dent in demand for oil & gas.

I wasn't saying that. I was saying that there's potential for the offshore supply chain in offshore wind. Many of the disciplines are similar. Jacket design, fabrication and installation for example. And cable-lay is not dis-similar to flex-lay either. 

I personally several ex All-seas guys now working in wind. Just Sayin' 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

I wasn't saying that. I was saying that there's potential for the offshore supply chain in offshore wind. Many of the disciplines are similar. Jacket design, fabrication and installation for example. And cable-lay is not dis-similar to flex-lay either. 

I personally several ex All-seas guys now working in wind. Just Sayin' 

Good points.  Transferable skill sets for offshore installation, repair, and maintenance.

• Like 2

Have no idea why I was singled out for this, actually tripled out, as I couldn’t care less if Scotland decided to ruin their seascape with these eyesores - it has nothing to do with me.

That said, isn’t that the old Micoperi 7000?

Sorry! I was typing while Rasmus was explaining his logic...my apologies!

Sad to say that my drilling expertise is probably not in demand for this type of work....but it looks exciting and fun!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

That said, isn’t that the old Micoperi 7000?

yes. 

(edited)

10 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Sad to say that my drilling expertise is probably not in demand for this type of work....but it looks exciting and fun!

Don't know if it is challenging, probably more repetive. But to me part of the solution for offshore is part of the assets / work-force to be soaked up by this type of project. 

Edited by Rasmus Jorgensen

Micoperi 7000... 

Godd thigns were conceived in the first of the millenial decades.. 

5 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

yes. 

Last time I saw her was in ‘86 when she was down in Brazil for the second Enchova platform blowout. She’s getting a little ‘long in the tooth’ now.

If I remember correctly, it took about 17 miles of cable to fully string one crane!

6 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

Don't know if it is challenging, probably more repetive. But to me part of the solution for offshore is part of the assets / work-force to be soaked up by this type of project. 

Would be nice if they actually built the turbines in Scotland...

6 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

Micoperi 7000... 

Godd thigns were conceived in the first of the millenial decades.. 

I never said that ALL millennials were useless twits!😂

• Haha 1

Unfortunately at his point of my career of Texas Hold-em I'm ALL In, may have to rethink skill set.

• Haha 2

Seeing more and more wind farms here in south Texas. Land owners are making some decent lease money and small amounts of land improvements if they are conservative in the negotiations. 

But damn they are ugly as hell and you can see them for miles and miles away. Eye pollution? Horizion pollution?

Nice buzzard and Mexican eagle killing machine though. This is ok with most land ranchers. Kinda upsets the city folk. But appears to meet the green religion requirements so I guess we can continue to kill off a birds in the name of this popular religion.

• Like 1

(edited)

As a 30yr+ Veteran of the Oil and Gas Engineering Sector in Houston..

I would say... Bullshit.. From a jobs stand point.
What does 9 Billion plus in wind turbines look like..?

My Most recent work below.

rosebank.jpg

Edited by Structural Master
add photo

(edited)

Wind Turbines.. Nah..

Until it picks back up in Oil And Gas Ill spend my time Building Big Cans of Woop Ass for the US Navy...

USS Bougainville (LHA-8) 

LHA8.jpg

LHA.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, James Regan said:

may have to rethink skill set.

That's the thing. I don't think the skill set has to change much. It's more of an attitude thing. Granted, drilling experience is likely not super transferable, but lots of other things are. And various techs are starting to cross over. Look at AHC W2W - first designed for O&G; never was accepted. Got industrialized in offshore wind and is now an accepted part of O&G indstry in North Sea, Asia and WAF. 

On 10/7/2019 at 11:51 AM, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

https://www.energyvoice.com/otherenergy/209199/saipem-has-made-uk-offshore-wind-sector-a-priority-north-sea-boss-says/

@Tom Kirkman @Douglas Buckland @James Regan

when the wind of change are blowin' you can choose to either build turbines (i.e. see opportunities) or build shelters (i.e. be a luddite). There's opportunity in wind.

Maybe this is off topic but I am inherently suspicious about anything that has negative IRR, and offshore wind and majority of onshore wind projects too have negative IRR.

They are only apparently profitable because there is big cross-subisidization of renewables by baseload generation.

It is done mainly through skewed tariffs that do not take under consideration all effects of intermittancy of renewables.

Unfortunately this madness will not stop, when more and more nuclear/coal is put offline because it reaches end of its useful life and natural gas prices soar the countries just have very expensive electricity. Nobody changes the skewed tariffs no return to balance. And later these countries wonder why manufacturing is not profitable, why deindustralization is a fact. It all starts with politically correct but very expensive wind and solar power.

• Like 2

(edited)

Not to mention.. They (wind turbines offshore) look like shit..

My company makes parts for turbines amongst other things. Steam, gas wind and even marine turbines.

It is true that the same skill set for manufacturing some of these components is transferable, however due to the relative simplistic nature of the wind turbine and the repetitive nature of the parts it means that skill set is somewhat lower and easily copied. This leads to increased competition and allows mass producers in low cost countries (especially China) to overwhelmingly control the market.

1 hour ago, Rob Plant said:

It is true that the same skill set for manufacturing some of these components is transferable, however due to the relative simplistic nature of the wind turbine and the repetitive nature of the parts it means that skill set is somewhat lower and easily copied.

I don't know enough about the manufacturing side, but I believe you on this. However, the point I was trying to get across was about the installation and maintenance side of offshore renewables. 

2 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

However, the point I was trying to get across was about the installation and maintenance side of offshore renewables. 

Yes I believe that there will be crossover here for sure!

I do tend to agree with many on here that they are an eyesore and a blot on the landscape (or seascape)

Image result for the biggest offshore wind farm in the world

This is the largest offshore wind farm in the world, its off the coast of Cumbria which is where The Lake District is, which is one of the most famous national parks and beauty spots in the UK (think Wordsworth " I wondered lonely as a cloud" etc).

He would be turning in his grave right now! 😥

18 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

(think Wordsworth " I wondered lonely as a cloud" etc).

Dare I say a sign of the times sir, and the way of the world. For his descriptions of beauty within the era, it could be argued that on the other side of the coin Victorian London experienced the likes of cholera for example that are not so beautifully detailed. My point, I hear you ask, is that progress is not always a negative by definition, simply the way of the world and necessity being the mother of invention, and for a natural view being changed we must be grateful for the ridding of disease and many other progressive acts in the meantime also. 

42 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Great. Lets hook him up to a generator.