Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Climate Protesters Block Streets Around The World

DT Note - then they get in their cars, live on their phones and laptops..... 

LONDON (Reuters) - Thousands of climate-change protesters took to the streets in cities around the world on Monday, launching two weeks of peaceful civil disobedience to demand immediate action to cut carbon emissions and avert an ecological disaster. 

In London, police arrested 217 activists from the Extinction Rebellion group as they blocked bridges and roads in the city centre, and glued themselves to cars, while protesters in Berlin halted traffic at the Victory Column roundabout. Dutch police stepped in to arrest more than 100 climate activists blocking a street in front of the country’s national museum and there were similar protests in Austria, Australia, France, Spain and New Zealand. “SORRY that we blocked the road, but this is an emergency,” declared placards held by activists in Amsterdam.

In New York’s financial district, protesters spattered the Wall Street Bull and themselves with fake blood and lay prone around the sculpture to evoke their fears of a deadly environmental catastrophe. The protests are the latest stage in an global campaign for tougher and swifter steps against climate change coordinated by Extinction Rebellion, which rose to prominence in April when it snarled traffic in central London for 11 days. Last month, millions of young people flooded onto the streets of cities around the world, inspired to take action by 16-year-old Swedish activist Greta Thunberg.

Extinction Rebellion says it expects peaceful protests over the next two weeks in more than 60 cities from New Delhi to New York calling on governments to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025 and halt a loss of biodiversity. Banging drums and chanting, protesters in London took over Trafalgar Square and marched down the Mall, the avenue that leads to Buckingham Palace. They carried banners with slogans including “Climate change denies our children a future unless we act now”.

“We’re here because the government is not doing enough on the climate emergency,” protester Lizzy Mansfield said. “We only get one planet and so we’re here to try and defend it.” Police chiefs said last week they would mobilise thousands of officers to handle the protests in London and that anyone who broke the law, even as part of non-violent civil disobedience, would be arrested. On Saturday, officers used a battering ram to enter a building in south London where activists had been storing materials to use during the protests. Eight people were arrested during the raid.

Defying almost freezing temperatures in Berlin, activists singing “Solid as a rock, rooted as a tree” gathered at dawn at the Victory Column roundabout near Tiergarten park. At sunrise, some were sleeping in insulated bags in the middle of the roundabout as police on motorbikes drove by. No arrests were made and the protest remained peaceful. Police blocked the five avenues that converge on the roundabout to stop cars and buses reaching the demonstration, as this would have resulted in traffic chaos during rush hour. By midday, the protest had swelled to 4,000 people, a policeman said, and a second main roundabout was also blocked by activists sitting in the middle of the road. Police began removing chanting protesters from Berlin’s Potsdamer Platz later in the day after they had occupied the central artery for much of the day, singing, making speeches and fashioning a makeshift camp out of salvaged armchairs and tents.

The rallies came as German Chancellor Angela Merkel defended climate protection measures her government is due to approve on Wednesday but which critics have condemned as unambitious. In Amsterdam, police were lining up empty city buses to take the arrested demonstrators away as they tried to clear a major thoroughfare in the afternoon. “The climate crisis is not being taken seriously enough by politics, and also not by the companies. That’s why I joined,” said one demonstrator, who gave his name as Christiaan.

Meanwhile activists in London, some wearing yellow safety helmets with “Rebel at Work” painted on the side, glued or chained themselves to cars parked in the middle of roads or to street lamps, making it hard for police officers to detain them. “We are out of time, there is none left, we have to act now,” said a protester called Benjamin. In central Paris, dozens of Extinction Rebellion activists blocked a street and bridge in the Chatelet district. They also built temporary shelters or held impromptu concerts and workshops in a good-natured atmosphere.

“This is clearly non-violent, it is human, we are not here with guns, we are here as human beings,” protester Francoise Loiseau said. With events like extreme weather, thawing permafrost and a sea-level rise unfolding much faster than expected, scientists say the urgency of the climate crisis has intensified since the signing in 2015 of the Paris accord on curbing global warming. Nearly 70 countries announced plans at a U.N. climate action summit last month to beef up their Paris pledges, but most major economies including the United States and China failed to announce stronger new measures.

People who keep shooting the messenger usually do so because they don't understand how important the message is.

image.png.23acd14dda7798ff56fa8f92b1726ef2.png

(edited)

11 minutes ago, remake it said:

People who keep shooting the messenger usually do so because they don't understand how important the message is.

No it's more that I'm not duped by agendas, scaremongering shit and teenage girls. Unless they are Amish they use oil all day everyday. 

I have an issue with hypocrites who do this stuff then get in their cars and live on their phones etc. These items did not magically grow like a potato.

Are they going to China to protest by the way...?

Edited by Guest

40 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

No it's more that I'm not duped by agendas, scaremongering shit and teenage girls. Unless they are Amish they use oil all day everyday. 

I have an issue with hypocrites who do this stuff then get in their cars and live on their phones etc. These items did not magically grow like a potato.

Again, you just keep shooting the messenger and have doubled down by diversion.

• Rolling Eye 2

43 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

2 minutes ago, remake it said:

Again, you just keep shooting the messenger and have doubled down by diversion.

Extinction Rebellion needs to go to China and have 2 week mass protests about Climate Armageddon, as China is the world's biggest polluter.

Extinction Rebellion needs to go to China and vandalize Chinese cultural statues to protest Climate Armageddon, as China is the world's biggest polluter.

Now that would be newsworthy entertainment.

• Great Response! 3
  • Upvote 1

Exactly. How am I diverting? THEY are diverting by never mentioning China, or the % of plastics in the ocean and where it comes from... look that up. Was article in The Economist the other day.

If I am diverting it's onto the main culprits. SOMETHING THEY SHOULD BE DOING!!

4 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

Exactly. How am I diverting? THEY are diverting by never mentioning China, or the % of plastics in the ocean and where it comes from... look that up. Was article in The Economist the other day.

If I am diverting it's onto the main culprits. SOMETHING THEY SHOULD BE DOING!!

Again, you keep shooting the messenger and have avoided the substance of the problem by diversion...again.

• Downvote 3

(edited)

I'm diverting these hypocrites to the actual problem!! 

Which part of this do you not get?? 

It's all Europe, US and Oz yes?? Nothing wrong with Asia??!! 

You are the one avoiding any 'substance' by not addressing it yourself and suggesting I don't get their bigger picture. 

DIVERTING TO THE WORST CULPRITS ON THE PLANET IS NOT AVOIDING THE SUBSTANCE OF THE PROBLEM.

IT IS ADDRESSING THE BIGGEST PROBLEM !!

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

I'm diverting these hypocrites to the actual problem!! 

Which part of this do you not get?? 

It's all Europe, US and Oz yes?? Nothing wrong with Asia??!! 

You are the one avoiding any 'substance' by not addressing it yourself and suggesting I don't get their bigger picture. 

DIVERTING TO THE WORST CULPRITS ON THE PLANET IS NOT AVOIDING THE SUBSTANCE OF THE PROBLEM.

Not a single comment from you has addressed the substance of the protesters' causes, and you believe repeating that you think you are not diverting the problem is a valid response.

• Downvote 3

(edited)

23 minutes ago, remake it said:

Not a single comment from you has addressed the substance of the protesters' causes

Or YOU!!! , and YOU are the one concerned about the climate apparently.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, DayTrader said:

All you have said is don't shoot the messenger etc. I have a problem with messengers who are hypocrites and do not even know the main areas of concern, as you clearly do not, as whenever we mention China etc all you can say is 'don't shoot the messenger' and 'you're not addressing their cause'.

What cause?? The lies? The agenda? The hypocrisy? The vandalism? The teenage girl hype agenda? The lack of protests in the worst cities in the world where you can't see infront of your face? 

Unlike you I am able to 'divert', or whatever word you want to choose, to the actual problems, and the 'causes' they should have. Rather than just hint ''what they're doing is great, you guys just don't get the cause''. I would argue I'm more concerned about their cause or what it should be than you are. 

If you're so concerned you'd be with them, not trolling here. 

Megaphone postings don't really cut it, so the issues you have yet to comment on relate to how scientists agree that we - humans - have  caused climate change and are in the midst of species extinctions due to our actions.

• Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, remake it said:

Not a single comment from you has addressed the substance of the protesters' causes

All you have said is don't shoot the messenger etc. I have a problem with messengers who are hypocrites and do not even know the main areas of concern, as you clearly do not, as whenever we mention China etc all you can say is 'don't shoot the messenger' and 'you're not addressing their cause'.

What cause?? The lies? The agenda? The hypocrisy? The vandalism? The teenage girl hype agenda? The lack of protests in the worst cities in the world where you can't see infront of your face? What is this infamous substance I'm missing? Please enlighten, as you've said nothing yourself other than 'you don't mention their cause'.

Unlike you I am able to 'divert', or whatever word you want to choose, to the actual problems, and the 'causes' they should have. Rather than just hint ''what they're doing is great, you guys just don't get the cause''. I would argue I'm more concerned about their cause or what it should be than you are. 

If you're so concerned you'd be with them, not trolling here. 

28 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

This, to you, is still diverting. Your logic therefore is ''I don't want to address the worst problems, just what these kids are protesting''. If you are too brainwashed to get past this point and understand the bigger picture, while accusing ME of not addressing the problem then I can do nothing for you. Keep vandalising a bull on Wall Street and leave China to it.

2 minutes ago, remake it said:

scientists agree that we - humans - have  caused climate change and are in the midst of species extinctions due to our actions.

And I think the best way to solve that is vandalising a bull. Yep I was wrong, you're spot on. 

(edited)

And all this damage was done by Europeans and America and Australia yes..??

Did your scientists say that? 

No I didn't think so.

Just 'divert' it all to the countries you're happy to protest in. Brilliant. 

You're my hero.

Edited by Guest

(edited)

Far, far bigger than those dumb yellow vest protests... does anyone remember those? @Tom Kirkman

Wake up old oil folks - the revolution is happening and it is televised.

Edited by Enthalpic

17 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

And all this damage was done by Europeans and America and Australia yes..??

Did your scientists say that? 

No I didn't think so.

Just 'divert' it all to the countries you're happy to protest in. Brilliant. 

You're my hero.

Nothing from you addressing the actual issues raised by those protesting, except a continuous stream of diversions, and now you want to add the straw men to your logical fallacies.

• Downvote 1

(edited)

Wow you really are quite dense.

I can do nothing for you and your Bobby Fischer like world. 

What you seem to see as not addressing their issues is me telling them / you what the issues are, or who they are. Concentrate on that rather than your Greta BS and things may change.

You are boring me. 

Edited by Guest

(edited)

This was one city in low-population Canada, compared to a crowd of dumb supporters.

cd153e8c7cc79143a46d978d8cb8c81.jpg_1200x630.jpg

Edited by Enthalpic

(edited)

43 minutes ago, remake it said:

the issues you have yet to comment on relate to how scientists agree that we - humans - have  caused climate change and are in the midst of species extinctions due to our actions.

In about 1 hour this is ALL YOU have said about their cause. Nothing about any solutions?? NOTHING AT ALL.

Practice what you preach is normally a good starting point. That's my hypocrisy point that you see as diverting as you wanna just say ''womp but look at their cause... look at the bull'' , ''womp Europe evil'' .

Now let's all get in our cars ...

Just womp yawn womp Greta nonsense.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Enthalpic said:

compared to a crowd of dumb supporters.

Great

37 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

Far, far bigger than those dumb yellow vest protests... does anyone remember those? @Tom Kirkman

Wake up old oil folks - the revolution is happening and it is televised.

The yellow jacket protests are still ongoing, they never stopped.  You are deliberately ignoring this inconvenient fact, along with the complicit media which does not want to show French Yellow Jacket dissent by ordinary people against the Carbon Tax and Climate Armageddon hysteria. 

EU is falling apart.  Uncontrolled mass migration initiated by Germany is creating havoc, there is no "cultural integration" by economic migrants, only the cultural destruction of European classical culture.  EU seems doomed unless course is changed.  UK is right in wanting to extract itself from EU cultural suicide.  London is already lost.

Globalism is evil.  Destruction of nations and borders.  Destruction of law.  Destruction of local cultures.  UN is horrible.

• Like 2

(edited)

Oh boy Tom's woken up .... @Enthalpic  you're up

2 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

UK is right in wanting to extract itself from EU cultural suicide. 

DING

Edited by Guest

(edited)

Just said on Bloomberg it started in Oz and NZ, then Europe, then North America ...

So not Asia, Africa, or South America ... hmm... 

Miss out 3 continents entirely and 2 countries that between them have like 1/3 of the global population..? Great strategy. 

''You have broken my dreams ... not you though, you're fine''

''Entire ecosystems  <sniff> ... how dare you!! ...     China what you doing..?''

''We are pumping shit into the air all day everyday like we have for 30 years''

''Ok crack on.....''

WOMPWOMP

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, DayTrader said:

In about 1 hour this is ALL YOU have said about their cause. Nothing about any solutions?? NOTHING AT ALL.

Practice what you preach is normally a good starting point. That's my hypocrisy point that you see as diverting as you wanna just say ''womp but look at their cause... look at the bull'' , ''womp Europe evil'' .

Now let's all get in our cars ...

Just womp yawn womp Greta nonsense.

You created a thread about these protesters and have never yet made a comment that is relevant to their causes but instead indulged in repeats of diversion and straw men arguments.

• Downvote 1