Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PT

US solar industry lost nearly 10000 jobs in 2017

Solar industry, which employs 250,271 workers—more than fossil fuel industries like coal and natural gas combined —lost 9,800 jobs in 2017, according to a report published by the Solar Foundation, a nonpartisan nonprofit that advocates for the solar industry. The loss in the number of jobs was the first time the Solar Foundation has seen solar energy employment contract since it began tracking the numbers in 2010.

majority of the solar industry’s jobs, some 78 percent, are in “demand-side” roles like installation, project development and sales, as opposed to manufacturing. That imbalance was a key argument against Trump’s tariffs on imported solar panels. It is going to hurt in beginning for sure but I am sure it will recover soon

Those companies can not wait for recovery. 86 percent of solar companies said tariffs would hurt their businesses, and 71 percent had already felt negative effects from the tariffs in 2017, before Trump even announced his decision.

Unfortunately for us, China is the global leader in production of solar panels because this administration refuses to support domestic industry

Just now, Stephen said:

Unfortunately for us, China is the global leader in production of solar panels because this administration refuses to support domestic industry

No. China is the global leader in the production of solar panels because they're cheaply made and mostly crap and they were engaged in massive product dumping for years which Obama did nothing about.

So solar tariffs hurt US solar businesses and destroy US jobs. Great

Just now, 李伟王芳 said:

So solar tariffs hurt US solar businesses and destroy US jobs. Great

and shipping off solar production to China didn't cost us any jobs back in the days of Solyndra, right?

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

You are about nine years to late to start that trade war.

15 minutes ago, Meanwhile said:

Solar industry, which employs 250,271 workers—more than fossil fuel industries like coal and natural gas combined —lost 9,800 jobs in 2017, according to a report published by the Solar Foundation, a nonpartisan nonprofit that advocates for the solar industry. The loss in the number of jobs was the first time the Solar Foundation has seen solar energy employment contract since it began tracking the numbers in 2010.

beautiful, clean coal

1 minute ago, 李伟王芳 said:

beautiful, clean coal

That's ok. The mining industry added 800 miners last year. 

I live in a Southern State and ideal location for solar. It just isn't happening. I think the big power companies and municipal codes have made it difficult to install

1 hour ago, Meanwhile said:

tariffs are just beginning of troubles 

And this same report  says that the impact of the tariffs may not be fully felt until 2019. I guess we have to wait for another report  until the next year to see what these tariffs have exactly done to solar industry. 

And I guess the U.S. have to wait until 2019 when hundreds of thousands of more solar projects are canceled and jobs lost. 

There are 50,000 some coal jobs in the US. How many of them were lost in 2017 and why should I have to pay higher energy prices and inhale more pollution so they don't have to compete with modern energy?

Not sure if employment numbers are a leading indicator for solar considering there may be labor and other efficiency gains driving these numbers. The real story here: solar continues to become more affordable each day by delivering free untaxed energy to power homes + businesses. I agree,it's a reversible process

• Upvote 1

US companies do not hold the patents for certain solar parts, so they must be imported. US solar industry employs 3x more than coal. Tariffs will likely hinder solar job growth, stall innovation and hurt the environment.

The death of one industry and the birth of another is not and cannot be instantaneous. It is a process, and that process isn't over today. I love how the greenies are screaming for the death of coal before its replacement is ready. Renewables are getting subsidies, too, so you're paying via tax dollars for that too. Take a deep breath and inhale.