Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zhong Lu

HK. Out. Now.

Is this the threat of the shattered bones? Yeah I posted this somewhere. Lovely sentiment isn't it? 

When Winnie get angry...

Yeah.  

I have never thought that this would end well. At one point China could have made some face saving concessions and everything could have simmered down, but I think that now the lines have been drawn, China can not be seen as losing face and a violent crackdown is waiting in the wings.

That will not be the end of it though. Anyone who can be identified as a protester will be prosecuted...this will go on for years.

That said, the seeds of ‘revolution’ have been sown and China will never trust the people of Hong Kong to fully embrace the mainland way of life.

(edited)

True but China maybe not bothered if you do embrace it, they just keep ''expanding those borders'' I guess. 

@Otis11 knows. He's one of the few in the West who can work out their complex, non - invasive factual history ... 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, DayTrader said:

True but China maybe not bothered if you do embrace it, they just keep ''expanding those borders'' I guess. 

@Otis11 knows. He's one of the few in the West who can work out their complex, non - invasive factual history ... 

It's taken a lifetime of study... 

Xinjiang, Tibet, and Inner Mongolia might all disagree with Xi on a few points...

And gotta love Nepal kowtowing to Xi. Bah!

• Upvote 1

What may keep China in check to some degree is fearing capital flight. And even if it doesn't keep them in check, it might dramatically effect outside investment. If you can't get your money out, you are hesitant to put your money in.

42 minutes ago, John Foote said:

What may keep China in check to some degree is fearing capital flight. And even if it doesn't keep them in check, it might dramatically effect outside investment. If you can't get your money out, you are hesitant to put your money in.

Getting money out of China has been virtually impossible for two decades for Western companies. I was involved in a joint venture with a company that sunk $5 billion into a plant in China. They tried to get money out of China to service the debt (like many before they borrowed from the West to build in the East). The Chinese simply wouldn't let them take the factory profits out and it bankrupted them. Ultimately the Chinese took their $5 billion factory "off their hands" for $500 million. They pull stunts like this all the time and get away with it because the companies don't want to talk about it and the business press rarely digs into details. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

and get away with it because the companies don't want to talk about it and the business press rarely digs into details. 

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you. 

24 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you. 

Anyone willing to do business with a country that has proven that the rules are subject to change with the winds deserves what they get. You can invest your money with a stable, trustworthy entity and not get monster gains, but steady and relible gains, or, "psst,,,,,psst,,,,hey you, wanna make some money? have I got a deal for you!!". Green seems to fuzz up the sight of the greedy, no long range vision to speak of, and to get there you had to relinquish your secrets as well. So they got the factory you built, and the tech you developed to run it, and you got screwed. Hmmmm. I saw this kind of crap on the horizon decades ago, and I am NOT by any means a business genius by any stretch of the imagination. For a country that is so concerned about "face", they are surely a very dishonorable lot...

• Upvote 1