Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ronwagn

Eight Billion Dollars Wasted on Nuclear Storage Plant

(edited)

Do not worry. There is one country that in the future will take all this radioactive stuff and reprocess it for nuclear fuel at some desolated place and earn a lot on the operation.

Edited by Marcin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So, why not take this crap and store it somewhere that already has a radiation problem, get it all together in one place... Ok, so we all know that the old USSR has several to choose from....well maybe a few more than several. Get it all together and store it there, the problem already exists, so it's not like they are polluting a new area. Take these zones where we won't be able to live safely and utilize them, not like we are going to create some "new" problem. Chernobyl would be a great place, right? Safe enough for workers to build new containment facilities in the area, but not safe to live near....

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 8:37 AM, SERWIN said:

So, why not take this crap and store it somewhere that already has a radiation problem, get it all together in one place... Ok, so we all know that the old USSR has several to choose from....well maybe a few more than several. Get it all together and store it there, the problem already exists, so it's not like they are polluting a new area. Take these zones where we won't be able to live safely and utilize them, not like we are going to create some "new" problem. Chernobyl would be a great place, right? Safe enough for workers to build new containment facilities in the area, but not safe to live near....

Unnecessary.  The original plan was to reprocess it into fuel, just as France does.  That plan changed when Jimmy Carter, bless his heart, made it illegal.  Eventually, it will be made legal again, and we can be done with this charade. 

On 3/28/2020 at 2:52 PM, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

Unnecessary.  The original plan was to reprocess it into fuel, just as France does.  That plan changed when Jimmy Carter, bless his heart, made it illegal.  Eventually, it will be made legal again, and we can be done with this charade. 

I wasn't even referring to the weapons grade stuff that can be used, I was just talking about the stuff that is now garbage and we can't use anymore. I hadn't even considered the weapons materials.... I thought the plan was for Killiary to sell it all to the Russians for another "donation" to her personal slush fund, er, I mean "charity"...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SERWIN said:

I wasn't even referring to the weapons grade stuff that can be used, I was just talking about the stuff that is now garbage and we can't use anymore. I hadn't even considered the weapons materials.... I thought the plan was for Killiary to sell it all to the Russians for another "donation" to her personal slush fund, er, I mean "charity"...

France and others aren't reprocessing weapons-grade nuclear material.  They're reprocessing "spent" fuel from the same light water reactors we use in the US.  Why do you think our "spent" fuel is garbage?

2 hours ago, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

France and others aren't reprocessing weapons-grade nuclear material.  They're reprocessing "spent" fuel from the same light water reactors we use in the US.  Why do you think our "spent" fuel is garbage?

So why on earth are we not doing the same thing? Seems like a waste....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SERWIN said:

You can thank the unmitigated disaster that was JIMMY F'n CARTER!

We change the pellets around in the fuel rods, but do not pull the casing off and recombine the materials. 

PS: One of the main reasons the nuclear repository in Nevada never went anywhere.  All the nuclear operators wanted to keep their hands on their fuel as everyone knows most of the energy is still in the fuel and only a small percentage has been used. 

PPS: Why BREEDER reactors are needed even if they are light water reactors. If nothing else uses ~80%+ of the energy available and thus makes ~600% less nuclear waste even if one does not account that the waste product majority are short lived(couple hundred years) instead of long lived products created currently. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

You can thank the unmitigated disaster that was JIMMY F'n CARTER!

We change the pellets around in the fuel rods, but do not pull the casing off and recombine the materials. 

PS: One of the main reasons the nuclear repository in Nevada never went anywhere.  All the nuclear operators wanted to keep their hands on their fuel as everyone knows most of the energy is still in the fuel and only a small percentage has been used. 

PPS: Why BREEDER reactors are needed even if they are light water reactors. If nothing else uses ~80%+ of the energy available and thus makes ~600% less nuclear waste even if one does not account that the waste product majority are short lived(couple hundred years) instead of long lived products created currently. 

Ah, yes, Jimmy Carter. I remember him, the most ineffectual president probably in the history of America's presidents. He spoke too softly and waxed and waned on every decision. And after the damage he left behind for Reagan to clean up.... Dear god, another wasted presidency with a Democrat in office. Even one term was enough damage, I can't imagine what would have happened if he had gotten re-elected. I was a young lad at the time....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SERWIN said:

Good question.  It probably involves politics. 

• Like 1