Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NW

Aluminium -Air Battery could be on its way

Interesting. Ex Royal Navy Nuclear Engineer develops Aluminium  - Air battery. UK Govt pumps in 100K in development grant. 

If this is a runner the developer has partnered with a Uk manufacturer and not sold out like most the turn coat spivs who sell the Uk down the river. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7592485/Father-eight-invents-electric-car-battery-drivers-1-500-miles-without-charging-it.html

I think I've seen something about this once before. It doesn't say it clearly in this article, but I remember the battery being unable to recharge the same way a lithium battery is recharged. Instead, of my memory serves me, you have to swap out the whole battery. Not neccesarily a bad thing, just different. I'm excited to see where this technology goes and what kind of energy density it is able to achieve.

1 hour ago, PE Scott said:

I think I've seen something about this once before. It doesn't say it clearly in this article, but I remember the battery being unable to recharge the same way a lithium battery is recharged. Instead, of my memory serves me, you have to swap out the whole battery. Not neccesarily a bad thing, just different. I'm excited to see where this technology goes and what kind of energy density it is able to achieve.

It is effectively a fuel cell and you would simply change the cell which takes about 90 seconds so quite comparable to that of filling a car with petrol. The energy density of this system is mooted at 8-9 times that of a Lithium battery. 

Aluminium - Air Batteries can be built with a energy density of 1300wh/kg.