Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ff

Hong Kong to be a USA election issue?

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/3034302/trump-tries-outflank-congress-pressure-grows-china

“We need to send a clear signal that we stand with the people of Hong Kong and if they [China] go in by military force against the agreement they had in 1997, we’ll respond in the most fierce way,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). 

Really? Against a nuclear power?  uh, what agreement?

“If China doesn’t uphold the standards that we agree to, I don’t want to trade with them,” said Rep. Ted Yoho, a Florida Republican.

oooh, That's really telling them yellow devils. uh, what standards? 

and I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down. 

pathetic. 

• Upvote 2
  • Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

59 minutes ago, frankfurter said:

pathetic. 

Agreed.

Your leader 'huffs and puffs' at a yellow bear. A slightly less pressing issue ... 

.Image result for pooh bear

59 minutes ago, frankfurter said:

oooh, That's really telling them yellow devils.

And yet you seem all hot and bothered by it? Is it because someone had an opinion? Xi doesn't appreciate that does he? Doesn't even matter if you're Chinese apparently. How DARE anyone round the world have opinions on HK?? Jeez. You guys need to get over yourselves. 

Edited by Guest

@Rob Plant   When they do speak up, it's because someone had an opinion ...

Facts = ignore    Opinion = ''how dare you'' - Greta style

Opinion BAD, China GOOD

• Haha 2

I actually really like most of the Chinese people I have met in China.

I do however have issues with their regime, human rights and animal rights.

• Like 2

love it Pence .... tell it like it is hahaha

21 hours ago, frankfurter said:

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/3034302/trump-tries-outflank-congress-pressure-grows-china

“We need to send a clear signal that we stand with the people of Hong Kong and if they [China] go in by military force against the agreement they had in 1997, we’ll respond in the most fierce way,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). 

Really? Against a nuclear power?  uh, what agreement?

“If China doesn’t uphold the standards that we agree to, I don’t want to trade with them,” said Rep. Ted Yoho, a Florida Republican.

oooh, That's really telling them yellow devils. uh, what standards? 

and I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down. 

pathetic. 

Ideally, we shouldn't trade at all with countries that have human rights abuse as bad as those in China. For information see

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Wb2YoQGpSWTz32ljsiA_ey6FLVqc2Dpe7Fnpiqn9lBs/edit Much like Nazi Germany or Stalin's Russia. 

• Upvote 1

So now all the sudden Republicans have a problem when it was Nixion who is touted with opening China trade as his signature achievement. Lol 

How about Republican blame for first supporting multi national companies trading with China in the first place. The effort is National with US and China cities becoming Sister cities to promote trade. 

But anyhow, let’s support Trump and quit all unfair trade between countries. End trade with any country that is authoritarian in practice and nature. These policies will kill global growth and fight pollution. Maybe Trumps unintended consequences of helping clean the planet will get my vote.

I'm in Hong Kong airport right now, 4 hour layover before the long haul flight to MAGA-land.  Zero signs of protestors here, zero indications of any disturbances.

Just for fun, I Googled "Chinese Democracy" here in the airport, and the first result was the abysmal Guns and Roses album of the same name.  Axle Rose blew it big time with that last album.

Next up, will see if I get hassled by TSA when I arrive in U.S.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good luck buddy.

And yes, tough to compete with the Use Your Illusion albums, although Appetite For Destruction is still one of the best debut albums of all time.

Fact. Deal with it people. 

(edited)

4 hours ago, Boat said:

So now all the sudden Republicans have a problem when it was Nixion who is touted with opening China trade as his signature achievement. Lol 

How about Republican blame for first supporting multi national companies trading with China in the first place. The effort is National with US and China cities becoming Sister cities to promote trade. 

I am English but I'm going to speak for all American Republicans... ready?

Being Republican in 2019 does not mean you necessarily agree with every one of their policies in history!! Why can people not understand this? Some today don't even agree with every one of Trump's policies.

This desperation. Nixon!!

TDS / RDS has gone to a new level on OilPrice. LOL. It's hilarious though so carry on. 

Edited by Guest

Sorry dude your wrong, you don’t get to flip a light switch and avoid the wrath from your parties mistakes. There is a long laundry list of pain in lives and treasure that a foreigner like you can’t make disappear.

(edited)

OK ... 

Edward Snowden ...

You agreed with Obama here then yes? Based on your own logic? He was a Democrat yes? So you agreed with every single thing he, and every Democrat in presidential history, did? You don't get to flip a switch as an American apparently. It's literally one or the other and must be attacked or defended if it is the opposite party yes? 

I'm not trying to make things disappear, I'm saying it's rather non-sensical to argue everything each party has done in history, the majority of which was before we were born. How far back are you willing to go in terms of policies just out of interest? Maybe try and ignore the 'laundry list' of your apparent pain and 'wrath' and look to the future. Where is your blame game in US politics getting you these days? Achieving much? 

A 'foreigner like you'. Love it. Says it all. 

Edited by Guest

On 10/24/2019 at 9:29 AM, DayTrader said:

Agreed.

Your leader 'huffs and puffs' at a yellow bear. A slightly less pressing issue ... 

.Image result for pooh bear

And yet you seem all hot and bothered by it? Is it because someone had an opinion? Xi doesn't appreciate that does he? Doesn't even matter if you're Chinese apparently. How DARE anyone round the world have opinions on HK?? Jeez. You guys need to get over yourselves. 

So you are saying the reaction to a cartoon character is on the same level as a threat to intervene in the affairs of a nuclear power?   You are saying a threat is on the same level as an opinion?   

• Upvote 1

The US is waging a trade war with China, which is why Honkong is more interesting for American politicians than Yellow Vests in France, the persecution of Catalans in Spain, or protests against the CIA-created neoliberal rule in Chile.

Classic use of weaknesses in the rival's country system in the fight for global hegemony.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:48 AM, DayTrader said:

I am English but I'm going to speak for all American Republicans... ready?

Being Republican in 2019 does not mean you necessarily agree with every one of their policies in history!! Why can people not understand this? Some today don't even agree with every one of Trump's policies.

This desperation. Nixon!!

TDS / RDS has gone to a new level on OilPrice. LOL. It's hilarious though so carry on. 

See, it's so simple even a Brit gets it!

(Seriously though, do people not realize these arguments can be turned around easily? Can use their logic to completely trash China, Russia... actually most of Europe... it's hard to find someone who wouldn't be trashed. Have to pick someone without history.)

On 10/25/2019 at 5:25 AM, frankfurter said:

So you are saying the reaction to a cartoon character is on the same level as a threat to intervene in the affairs of a nuclear power?   You are saying a threat is on the same level as an opinion?   

This has been argued before. It's not internal affairs. They're violating a contract. Yet again. There was an agreement in 1997. China is violating it because they don't have the patience to wait 50 years to get what they want. (Or they fear what free speech in HK could accomplish in the remaining 28 years)

Also, why does the fact that China's a 'Nuclear Power' hold any sway in this? Trying to pull the intimidation card already? Really?

On 10/25/2019 at 7:04 PM, Tomasz said:

The US is waging a trade war with China, which is why Honkong is more interesting for American politicians than Yellow Vests in France, the persecution of Catalans in Spain, or protests against the CIA-created neoliberal rule in Chile.

Classic use of weaknesses in the rival's country system in the fight for global hegemony.

That, or - and this might be crazy - but:

• The Yellow Vests are using their freedom of speech to protest. (Which Americans support - even if they don't support the yellow vests. So no interesting story here)
  • Catalans are trying to Secede from Spain (Which they might actually have the right to do - idk that much about Spanish government). There might be some violations of human rights here, but as far as I'm aware (and I could be wrong) they're relatively minor, and the results are inconsequential to the world because Catalonia is so small. (Though I lean toward supporting them, I'm not terribly well informed on this because, again, it's inconsequential)
  • Chile - say what? Chile is protesting because they're undergoing economic stress and the government (out of necessity) is implementing austerity measures. This isn't terribly uncommon right now. Arguably Greece, Italy, and others should also be implementing stronger measures, but can't out of fear of popular uprising... again, same thing that was seen in France with the Yellow Vests are you going to argue that these were somehow put in place by the CIA too? (Now there's some really sad stuff going on in Chile, but are you really trying to say this is the same scale as Hong Kong? It has anywhere near the same impact on global markets as Hong Kong? The HKSE alone has more impact that all of Chile...)

So, it seems to me, even if we:

• forget the trade war (which started 30 years ago btw - so 'US Waging a trade war with China' is a bit misleading, because the US didn't start it. China did. By systematically undermining deals and violating international agreements for 30 years... just like they are with Hong Kong)
  • forget a 'fight for global hegemony' (A fight China has repeatedly and publicly said they don't want - https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/18/china-will-never-seek-hegemony-xi-says-in-reform-s/. And that's assuming the US populace is even seriously worried about - They're not. Mostly because most US citizens can't spell, define, or even pronounce Hegemony, but even if they could, they're not well versed enough in our own politics to see the games going on right now, much less worry about international affairs and the intricacies at play there. And yes, this is a criticism of American, by an American.)

China's violation of Hong Kong's Sovereignty and the Hong Kongese people's fight for Human rights and democracy is absolutely of more interest to us. And even then, I have to come to the strange corners of the web (places like this) to find people who can talk knowledgeably about it... because EVEN THEN the US simply doesn't care enough to become informed. 

Oh, and classifying Xi/Little Bear/Winnie the Pooh incident as a 'reaction' or an 'opinion' is rubbish. You're intentionally being obtuse.He Censored an entire nation - 1.3 BILLION PEOPLE - because he's afraid of criticism. 

(Warning, Link to the extremely liberal 'The Guardian' incoming. Even they managed to get the story right... must be pretty straight forward)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/07/china-bans-winnie-the-pooh-film-to-stop-comparisons-to-president-xi

@DayTrader This should be fun in 3... 2... 1...

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Otis11 said:

Oh, and classifying Xi/Little Bear/Winnie the Pooh incident as a 'reaction' or an 'opinion' is rubbish. You're intentionally being obtuse. He Censored an entire nation - 1.3 BILLION PEOPLE - because he's afraid of criticism. 

Maybe Xi will like this comparison better than  Pooh.  The likeness seems closer.  Just sayin.

khupx81z4fr31.jpg.d48ccaef9e911de373672a488cd9f6b5.jpg

• Haha 1

(edited)

22 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Maybe Xi will like this comparison better than  Pooh.  The likeness seems closer.  Just sayin.

khupx81z4fr31.jpg.d48ccaef9e911de373672a488cd9f6b5.jpg

Where's the proof the picture on the left is actually Xi?

In the future, Tom, when trying to compare a look alike to Xi, could you find a photo of him without a mask?

Edited by PE Scott
  • Haha 2

On 10/25/2019 at 3:18 AM, Boat said:

Sorry dude your wrong, you don’t get to flip a light switch and avoid the wrath from your parties mistakes. There is a long laundry list of pain in lives and treasure that a foreigner like you can’t make disappear.

So Democrats take credit for slavery? Of course not. They try to blame it on Republicans who came after it was done away with. 

• Upvote 1