Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

January Brexit Extension Increases Chance Of No Deal

Exactly, this was my point earlier. All negatives, no bigger picture.

1 minute ago, Douglas Buckland said:

I suppose, in my mind, the question is, โ€œHow much is having your own country and identity back worth?โ€

The Glittering Prize - A new Gold Dream....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

Oh that's ok then, as long as he mentioned burning in hell in a nice way LOL

I'll be fair when you don't say stuff like ''the likes of Farage'', how's that?ย  ;)ย 

Would roasting or simmering in hell be more politically correct? How about basting?๐Ÿ˜‚

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

^Bingo.ย 

isnt that a game?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Sure, a โ€˜hardโ€™ exit would be painful for awhile. I think this is to be expected when you are weaning off the EU teat - so what! At the end of the day Britain would establish other markets, hopefully get back in the manufacturing game, sort out their own immigration and labor issues...and become Great Britain again.

Why do people keep bringing up the โ€˜painโ€™? Anything worthwhile is going to involve a certain amount of โ€˜painโ€™. Take the US-China โ€˜trade warโ€™ for example. Everyone said the Yanks couldnโ€™t possibly survive without all the cheap Chinese goods that were flooding the country. I have not seen any real weeping & gnashing of teeth recently. Yes, it costs some cash to wean the American public off of the Chinese teat, but at the end of the day it will be worth it.

I suppose, in my mind, the question is, โ€œHow much is having your own country and identity back worth?โ€

I think much of the pain was already factored in before and after the referendum, the pound dropped it's value against the dollar which has given us a boost for exports but caused prices to increase. You are right it's been a never ending stream of negativity and doom and it's driving everyone crazy.

โ€œHow much is having your own country and identity back worth?โ€

To guarantee future generations can hold their politicians feet to the fire and be able to remove them if they don't represent the people, I'd say any price is worth it.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, El Nikko said:

I'd say any price is worth it.

If it's in pounds ...

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Or rupees

31 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

When the UK goes out on the world market to compete they need to compete - i.e. be cheaper. Plus, they are going up against established supply chains.ย 

i work for a manufacturing company in the UK supplying the energy markets, we supply to 80 countries globally including China.We employ 240 people, turnover ยฃ26.5M and have been around for 28 years

We are by no means the cheapest but I consider us the best on quality and service for the products we make anywhere in the world.

The UKย is full of entrepreneurs who are running similar types of businesses. We are a nation of inventors +ย innovators , we will not only survive Brexit but I believe we will thrive.

Competing doesnt necessarily mean you have to be the cheapest!

• Like 2
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Correct! The UK is capable of manufacturing quality items. Cheapest is not best. I am, or used to be (๐Ÿ˜–) in the drilling business. The Chinese got involved in the manufacturing (copying) drilling equipment and under pricing everyone. This worked for awhile, but the quality was terrible. If you only needed the item to last for a well or two, the cost was attractive, if you wanted it to last years, not so much.

If UK manufacturing got back on its feet, controlled costs, gave good value for money, I believe there are many niches they could fill.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

If it's in pounds ...

I agree and not Kilograms etc or other logical derivatives of the metric system, imperial is so easy, but some others (not us) struggle with it, 9/16-5/8 etc etc. @Douglas Bucklandย is the ten inch foot universal or only to the drilling industry, as it did make sense to make a foot into 10 parts? (genuine question, not being sarcastic)

• Like 1

I have absolutely no idea! You wankas came up with system!

Just like BSF (British Standard Fine)! Ever worked on a rig that had this system on it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

loads of threads on that bad boy!

(edited)

On 10/25/2019 at 2:16 PM, Rob Plant said:

i work for a manufacturing company in the UK supplying the energy markets, we supply to 80 countries globally including China.We employ 240 people, turnover ยฃ26.5M and have been around for 28 years

We are by no means the cheapest but I consider us the best on quality and service for the products we make anywhere in the world.

The UKย is full of entrepreneurs who are running similar types of businesses. We are a nation of inventors +ย innovators , we will not only survive Brexit but I believe we will thrive.

Competing doesnt necessarily mean you have to be the cheapest!

I work with offshore energy myself. And I agree.ย 

But here's what I don't get : The EU is not a hindrance for businessed such as yours. Why should leaving be a benefit?ย 

For clarity - this is purely to economics. I respect (and to an extent agree) with the cultural aspect.

Edited by Rasmus Jorgensen

Juncker bad lol. Tusk bad.ย 

We sorted Brexit everyone.ย 

6 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

Juncker bad lol. Tusk bad.ย 

LOL.ย 

And Trump good...

Yes, Trump and Johnson are angels.

But Merkel / Juncker / Macron / Xi / NK / Iran / Pelosi bad.

We sorted geopolitics too. This is easy today.ย 

1 hour ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

But here's what I don't get : The EU is not a hindrance for businessed such as yours. Why should leaving be a benefit?ย 

For clarity - this is purely to economics. I respect (and to an extent agree) with the cultural aspect.

I never suggested leaving the EUย was an economic benefit, certainly not in the short term, that's why I voted remain!

However my point was you don't need to be cheap to compete, if you are manufacturing a quality product. Anyone can sell cheap and compromise their margins and maybe go bust with 1 or 2 bad debts because of it, bad business model in my opinion.

I've stated numerous times that I believe in democracy and the will of the people, we voted leave and I lost.

All this political game playing is hurting our country more than just leaving , we need to do it quickly, and yet here we go again with another extension.

I'm a really pissed off Englishman right now!

• Great Response! 3

(edited)

3 hours ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

Most if not all people who voted to leave did so regardless of the economic consequences, most people in this country don't benefit from cheap labour or any of the other things that 'may' be a boost to the economy. I appreciate you are talking from the economic angle but this was never a factor for leavers.

I admire Rob and the many people like him who voted leave but still accept the democratic vote, their voice is rarely heard in the post referendum debates and should we get another referendum I expect leave won win by a bigger margin.

Dragging things on for another 3 1/2 years has probably hurt the EU and UK economies due to the uncertainty, the leaders in both the EU and UK are a disgrace and only have themselves to blaim for any economic pain...which lets face it will mainly be felt by the regular working people.

I have to say the so called Tory 'leavers' who obsess about the economy and trade deals are very dishonest, it's almost as if they're trying to change the entire framework of what leave really meant. Leave was cultural and patriotic, people have for decades been increasingly annoyed with being told we have to accept being flooded with immigrants and suffer the consequences. Rightly or wrongly we were told that because we were in the EU we couldn't do anything about it so we forced a referendum and voted out. I'll bet that even when we do leave immigration will continue with the same numbers which means politicical change must still be fought for until they start to listen.

Edited by El Nikko
  • Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, El Nikko said:

I appreciate you are talking from the economic angle but this was never a factor for leavers.

I guess we agree, then and I do really accept and understand the cultural argument.ย 

1 hour ago, El Nikko said:

people have for decades been increasingly annoyed with being told we have to accept being flooded with immigrants and suffer the consequences. Rightly or wrongly we were told that because we were in the EU we couldn't do anything about it so we forced a referendum and voted out.

This is the misconception that I don't like. It is not unique to Britain though - happens all over Europe. Everything is the EUs fault.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

I guess we agree, then and I do really accept and understand the cultural argument.ย 

This is the misconception that I don't like. It is not unique to Britain though - happens all over Europe. Everything is the EUs fault.

I agree this is a misconception to a degree.

I think mostly what people in the UK hate about the EU is the waste, ie money , resources, opportunities etc

Also the bureaucracy by most in the top EU jobs is astonishing. It seems to me if you're French speaking you are pretty much guaranteed a top job for some reason.

I guess we're just not European and never have been really.

That Channel just keeps getting wider!

What will be interesting is if the doom merchants are provedย wrong and the UK thrives after a couple of years out of the EU, where does that leave the EU? I can see it breaking up pretty quickly!

Just now, Rob Plant said:

I think mostly what people in the UK hate about the EU is the waste, ie money , resources, opportunities etc

I can't stand the vaste and bureaucrazyย either.

I am just a hopeless dreamer that believe a functioning EU are the best answer to the challenges facing Europe. Getting a functioning EU is the hard bit. In a way I think / hope brexit & Trump are good for Europe and EU - I hope that we are realizing we need to step up. I hope.ย 

6 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

What will be interesting is if the doom merchants are provedย wrong and the UK thrives after a couple of years out of the EU, where does that leave the EU?

fair enough.ย 

But what if they are proved rigth?ย 

3 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

fair enough.ย 

But what if they are proved rigth?ย 

Then we're in deep sh*t!ย ๐Ÿ˜‚

They wont be right though, we are a very resilientย bunch of people when we need to be and have proven this over many centuries.

Its not arrogance, but a firm belief in our country, identity, resourcefulnessย and entrepreneurship.

We are fighters!

We may actually be making the greatest decision in the country's history!

Wish us luck.

• Great Response! 1

1 minute ago, Rob Plant said:

Wish us luck.

It may surprise you, but I actually do wish you luck.ย 

it would be nice if you could wish us hopeless dreamers luck to. Instead hoping / predicting our union will fall apart.ย 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

it would be nice if you could wish us hopeless dreamers luck to. Instead hoping / predicting our union will fall apart.ย 

Sorry Rasmus!

I don't wish anyone ill luck I can assure you. Love Denmark by the way and respect your great nation.

Its no surprise to me that you do wish us luck as you seem like a very nice person.

I'm a relatively well travelled guy and I love getting to understand local customs and cultures, and usually take something back with me from each visit. Its our differences that set us all apart not unite us.

Its good to dream but even better to make that dream a reality if you possibly can,ย I think that's what we are trying to do in the UK.

Hopefully your dreams and ideology work out for you

All the best mate

• Like 1

(edited)

18 minutes ago, Rasmus Jorgensen said:

Yes and it was actually one of the first Brexit related things I mentioned when I joined this forum, that I had hoped that after Brexit and Trump we could all focus on bringing people back together but saddly the opposite seems to have happenedย  and people appear more divided although that could just be a very vocal minority.

I still think it would be fair to say the EU does need some reform, the make up in the EU parliament is changing and that might actually bring the reform that is needed. Before he gave us a referendum Cameron actually promised to renegotiate our terms and attempt to help reform the EU.

Edited by El Nikko