cv

Colorado Cracks Down on Oil, Gas Drilling Near Homes

Colorado Cracks Down on Oil, Gas Drilling Near Homes

(Bloomberg) -- It wasn’t so long ago that Coloradans voted against a bid to block oil and gas development near homes. The state -- one of the nation’s top crude-producing regions -- is cracking down anyway.

Companies planning to drill wells within 2,000 feet (610 meters) of a home should now expect additional scrutiny from Colorado’s energy regulator, which will only approve those wells if they can be operated in a way that won’t adversely affect health.

The shift in policy comes after a study commissioned by the state’s health department found heightened risk of benzene exposure within 2,000 feet of drill sites. Risk was highest during the flowback stage of the fracking process, when the mix of water and chemicals used to create fractures in the shale rock returns to the surface, according to the study.

“The study indicates the potential for short-term health impacts” within the range of 2,000 feet, said Jeff Robbins, the acting director of the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission. He said that 39 pending applications will be affected.

Voters in November rejected a ballot initiative that sought to impose a 2,500-foot buffer zone between drill sites and homes. Since then, the state has passed a sweeping overhaul of its oil and gas laws, giving local governments more power to regulate drilling.

• Like 1

Wonder when they’ll crack down on building homes over oilfields?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Wonder when they’ll crack down on building homes over oilfields?

Cookie cutter houses on land that was not developed , the open lands were there, I guess how would it work if the oil companies bought the leases before the houses were built or bought the leases with existing houses... I guess there will be lawsuits .. but the lying politicians in Denver will do anything. The voters voted and the Dems didnt like the outcome and go around lying and deceiving to over ride the will of the people.

The same group of people who are anti oil yet want housing built because there isnt enough, will also protest the construction of pipelines to bring water for all these new developments, and related infrastructure.

And then wildfires happen and they will whine about climate change ....

Driving along I-25 and I-70 , you see these hideous developments, same thing out in Vail etc.

These folks dont protest displacing wildlife and natural habitats but a piece of land if it for some serving purpose, then they will protest and try to shut down anything from being built or land being developed.

• Like 1

Eventually they’ll run out of water to supply these developments - surprised it hasn’t happened yet.

8 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Eventually they’ll run out of water to supply these developments - surprised it hasn’t happened yet.

So many reasons why not to drill on land opposed to keeping it offshore.

12 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

Cookie cutter houses on land that was not developed , the open lands were there, I guess how would it work if the oil companies bought the leases before the houses were built or bought the leases with existing houses... I guess there will be lawsuits .. but the lying politicians in Denver will do anything. The voters voted and the Dems didnt like the outcome and go around lying and deceiving to over ride the will of the people.

The same group of people who are anti oil yet want housing built because there isnt enough, will also protest the construction of pipelines to bring water for all these new developments, and related infrastructure.

Driving along I-25 and I-70 , you see these hideous developments, same thing out in Vail etc.

These folks dont protest displacing wildlife and natural habitats but a piece of land if it for some serving purpose, then they will protest and try to shut down anything from being built or land being developed.

In the 80s I owned a home in Bakersfield California. There were lots of subdivisions going up all over the area. One day we had sonic boom sending trucks driving around and soon an oil derrick popped up a few hundred yards away. There were some who worried about their home values and I did go to a meeting to see what was going on. The leader ended up getting his home purchased by the oil company to shut him up. I checked my deed and discovered that the oil companies who originally owned the land had rights to the oil under the area. 

(edited)

12 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

Uh, sage brush displacement, oh no!  Sorry, just no.  As for those along I-70 in mountains... all 2nd homes or retirement homes and few actually living there.  Not built for work/living, but rather play.  ***displacing wildlife***  a couple acres of Several million, sorry, just no. 

Sage Brush country Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs is a wonderful place to build a city.  Now water.......

Edited by footeab@yahoo.com