So Did Eni and Shell Pay a $1.3-billion bribe for Nigeria oil?

"persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement."

While you mull that over, consider this: 

The seed was planted at a dinner in Milan featuring a senior Eni exec and senior Shell officials. They approved "an arrangement that allowed them to pay the government while knowing most of the money would be transferred to a company controlled by Dan Etete--the ex-oil minister" that they met that night. 

Sounds like a 'favor' to me. A $1.3-billion favor

I don't even understand that. But cool chart nonetheless. So Eni and Shell paid money for what kind of favor, exactly? Sounds more to me like Nigeria did the wrongdoing. 

Nigeria is a corrupt, corrupt place that can't even keep the lights on for its citizens. But yeah, let's go ahead and blame those rascaly oil companies.

15 hours ago, Vlad Kovalenko said:

Who gave the money to whom? They didn't have to accept their "favor". 

Either way, Shell and Eni should be accountable. They knew what they were doing; they knew who they were meeting in Milan and where the money was going. Let's not be naive. I don't even think this is a gray area. 

Far away from a grey area. Not even close. This case is crystal clear as well as their responsibility in all of this. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0