Tom Kirkman

Trump's China Strategy: Death By a Thousand Paper Cuts

(edited)

8 minutes ago, Marcin said:

This thread is about China.

LOL yeah sorry, what was I thinking?  Of course it is, we don't quite have enough of those threads. Sorry to change from your favourite topic for a few minutes. You can go back to comparing USA and China now, as you clearly never get tired of that.

Edited by Guest

(edited)

2 hours ago, DayTrader said:

Your government is the scum of the earth.

5 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

It pains me to say this, but remake it was actually getting the thread back on topic.

Marcin, I was too, don't worry. China and the USA are all that matters to you. We get it  :) 

Go! Quick, give me some more stats.

Anyway, no DT, I wasn't trolling

I know you weren't mate, just doubting your IQ a little   ;) 

Anyway, shhhh!! Marcin needs to compare bridges and shit.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

For reference, on the Island of Borneo, there are 3 countries, each with their own passports: part of Indonesia, part of Malaysia, and the entirety of Brunei.

And do not forget about Philippines, they have not said their last word in dispute with Malaysia. I remember they even conducted botched invasion in the past.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marcin said:

And do not forget about Philippines, they have not said their last word in dispute with Malaysia. I remember they even conducted botched invasion in the past.

Marcin this thread is about China. Less of the Polish insecurity please. I need those stats.

QUICK !!!!!!

I want how much each country is worth, in $$$$

GO !!

3 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

Marcin this thread is about China. Less of the Polish insecurity please. I need those stats.

What area of Chinese (or US) economy is of your interest ? I cannot write them all, although similar to Johny Mnemonic it could help my head.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DayTrader said:

QUICK !!!!!!

I want how much each country is worth, in $$$$

GO !!

Which type of wealth : financial or physical property (real estate) or both ?

(edited)

Both please. I need the stats!!  Plus ...

How many people did Mao kill?

How much does the average Chinese citizen earn a month?

What's the exact population RIGHT NOW of the USA and China?

How many died in Vietnam on the US side?

How many bridges a year does each country build?

Were there WMD in Iraq?

Does Xi look like Winnie the Pooh?

How much oil is in the USA?

Will Trump be re-elected?

Who would win right now if there was a USA v China war?

Do you understand the difference between British and English?

Is Brexit a good thing? 

Would you have voted leave or remain?

Do the democrats in the USA have a clue what they are doing?

How quick can you solve a Rubik cube?

Are you any good at chess?

Can you give me 10 pros and cons of American and Chinese societies?

Have Americans butchered our language?

Is the Aramco valuation a good price for Saudis?

Is OPEC a joke?

Has OIL been mentioned on this forum in the last 3 days?

What are your thoughts on shale?

Who would win in a physical fight between Trump and Xi?

Edited by Guest

GO !!!

Jeez DT, you might want to cut down a bit on your coffee intake.  Marcin has actually presented some real numbers for others to consider.

Agreed. So this will be easy.

you might want to cut down a bit on your coffee intake

Never!! Anyway, most of those questions are about China. Don't bring up coffee, Marcin will go nuts, unless it's Chinese coffee.

8 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

It pains me to say this, but remake it was actually getting the thread back on topic.

Strange days indeed.

Yes very strange

i have actually been agreeing with some things Remake It has been saying on other threads, unbelievable!

maybe I should lay off the whisky (not whiskey)

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Yes very strange

i have actually been agreeing with some things Remake It has been saying on other threads, unbelievable!

maybe I should lay off the whisky (not whiskey)

When it gets to the point where you are agreeing with n artificial-intelligence robot with  Chinese handler, then your life is indeed in serious trouble. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

When it gets to the point where you are agreeing with n artificial-intelligence robot with  Chinese handler, then your life is indeed in serious trouble. 

Early onset of dementia probably 

• Haha 2

(edited)

13 hours ago, Marcin said:

This thread is about China. It would be better if  you start the thread:

"Insecurities of British people, Pre Brexit Syndrome ?"

With respect sir, considering the majority of threads either revolve around, or eventually become, some form of USA v China comparison, and that this never comes from the Chinese side, it would seem the insecurities and fear of the future are entirely from the American side would it not?

Edited by Papillon

On 12/7/2019 at 12:12 PM, Ward Smith said:

Perhaps sir, you would be so kind as to, I don't know, PROVE what you're saying? Perhaps a link or two? Otherwise the readers here will be inclined to think you're appealing to your own authority, a double no no. 

Bottom line Aramco doesn't want bolivars, yuan, piasters, rupees or any of the myriad currencies extant in the world today. There is a massive, Forex trading market that will ALWAYS bid for American dollars, but rarely for rupees. That's just the way it is. The US has the largest, most sophisticated and readily transparent banking system to handle these trades. Would you trust the Russian banks? Maybe Zimbabwe? Good luck with that sir, best of luck. 

Who told you that Aramco does not want Yuan or Rupee? What kind of transparency does USA offer? USA does not even reveal the names of the owners of its companies like Intel, Boeing etc. All these companies are owned by some holding company or trust which in turn is owned by some anonymous people. US dollar is used because of petrodollar deal, not because of USA transparency. There is nothing like "it is like this" about USA dollar. USA is not some superman which can do things which others can't. USA dollar is international currency due to Arabs' patronage, not other way around.

I don't see what proof you want? Do you have any reason to say that prior to 1975 USA dollar was the most favoured currency used by everyone in international trade? USA dollar became popular in Europe due to Marshall plan after WW2 but became unpopular when USA removed the pegging of dollar to gold in Bretton Woods agreement. Countries like India, China, East Europe, SE Asia did not use dollar as main currency. I don't see why you would need proof for this as this is quite an open data and you can find it by reading about history of USA dollar and international trade for last 80-90 years.

2 hours ago, kshithij Sharma said:

Who told you that Aramco does not want Yuan or Rupee? What kind of transparency does USA offer? USA does not even reveal the names of the owners of its companies like Intel, Boeing etc. All these companies are owned by some holding company or trust which in turn is owned by some anonymous people. US dollar is used because of petrodollar deal, not because of USA transparency. There is nothing like "it is like this" about USA dollar. USA is not some superman which can do things which others can't. USA dollar is international currency due to Arabs' patronage, not other way around.

I don't see what proof you want? Do you have any reason to say that prior to 1975 USA dollar was the most favoured currency used by everyone in international trade? USA dollar became popular in Europe due to Marshall plan after WW2 but became unpopular when USA removed the pegging of dollar to gold in Bretton Woods agreement. Countries like India, China, East Europe, SE Asia did not use dollar as main currency. I don't see why you would need proof for this as this is quite an open data and you can find it by reading about history of USA dollar and international trade for last 80-90 years.

Sharma, not sure where you were edumacated but they seem to have misinformed you. 

Look up Bretton Woods agreement and get back to me. Same for Marshall Plan. 

Bottom line, intelligent international traders don't want to get stuck holding worthless currency. Elsewhere in this thread for instance @Jan van Eck has waxed eloquent about Canadian exchange rates. If I sell my hard earned oil to you for 1 million rupees and it subsequently devalues by 20%, have I just taken a massive haircut on the oil I sold? Same for renminbi closer to the thread topic.

Recently (and intelligent people believe in response to tariffs), China devalued their currency by about that amount. The IMF "allowed" that it "could" have been due to natural causes, and that "would" be correct, if China were any kind of free market. But everyone knows they aren't, which is the problem. Nothing happens without the Politburo okaying it. Now a trader not only has to worry about the vagaries of the normal give and take of high finance, but additionally worry about corrupt leaders and sketchy Banks. Better dump those renminbi fast

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

If I sell my hard earned oil to you for 1 million rupees and it subsequently devalues by 20%, have I just taken a massive haircut on the oil I sold?

Yup, yes, you sure have.  Sorry.

• Haha 1

(edited)

22 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Jeez DT, you might want to cut down a bit on your coffee intake.  Marcin has actually presented some real numbers for others to consider.

I thought about denial of the reality of the changing world, which I observed in majority of seasoned commenters here.

It is only human that if you believed in some paradigm for 40-55 years information to the contrary of this beliefs causes natural disagreement, anger etc. Especially that this paradigm, beliefs where uncontestable during 20th century. It is issue has more characterictics of religious blind fundamentalism, than casual economic discussions conducted in free time. I am not capable of analysing the motivation or reasons of insecurities relating to Chinese rise and relative decline of United States. Sometimes I really feel that to some extent this torments these users, as there is no answer, no way to deny raw data.

For some users what I write about China vs US hegemony conflict, as they are retirees or near of this period in life, is irrelevant. But for younger people ( @DayTrader ) current changes in world equilibrum will have important impact on their lifes.

Edited by Marcin
typo
  • Like 1

(edited)

🤣🤣  @Marcin , you love me, who are you kidding? 

I apologise for having a sense of humour buddy. Forget the questions then. Thought you'd love it. 

Haha you edited it, that's a little less insulting now. Thanks x

12 minutes ago, Marcin said:

For some users what I write about China vs US hegemony conflict, as they are retirees or near of this period in life, is irrelevant.

Have a feeling Papillon would disagree with this mate.

Edited by Guest

(edited)

On 12/8/2019 at 5:19 PM, DayTrader said:

Who would win in a physical fight between Trump and Xi?

I'd watch that.  It would be way better than trump's other reality tv show.

Trump is about 4 inches taller but is 73 years old to Xi's 66 years old.  Plus we know all Asians are born knowing martial arts. LOL

Xi also did hard time in work camps and was an actual soldier versus growing up with a silver spoon in his mouth.  I'd pay 2:1 odds that trump gets his ass kicked bad.

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Haha 1

On 12/8/2019 at 2:20 PM, DayTrader said:

Also, simply because England is not the whole of Britain surely answers your question? That's why there is a difference between English and British.

Many thanks for explaining the various differences between English and British.

Please allow me to return the favor to the English here, who may be slightly befuddled about the U.S. political parties:

The Bee Explains: Democrats Vs. Republicans

12 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

Sharma, not sure where you were edumacated but they seem to have misinformed you. 

Look up Bretton Woods agreement and get back to me. Same for Marshall Plan. 

I am sorry for the bretton woods part. Bretton woods agreement was annuled in 1971 which ended the gold pegging. I mistakenly wrote that Bretton Woods did the opposite. Nevertheless, the concept of gold pegging and its abolishment is still true and that matters the most.

Bottom line, intelligent international traders don't want to get stuck holding worthless currency. Elsewhere in this thread for instance @Jan van Eck has waxed eloquent about Canadian exchange rates. If I sell my hard earned oil to you for 1 million rupees and it subsequently devalues by 20%, have I just taken a massive haircut on the oil I sold? Same for renminbi closer to the thread topic.

What do you think was annulment of Bretton Woods agreement? USA did the exact thing you are calling as bad practice. USA promised to peg its dollar with gold and then canceled it, thereby making its dollar worthless. So, you answer the question as to why dollar was used for selling oil when it showed so much uncertainty and fickleness?

As of now, dollar is not devaluating because of petrodollar and not otherwise. In other words, it is due to the fact that there is demand for dollar to buy the most important commodity - petroleum - that the demand for dollar exists and hence reduces the fluctuation. We saw how dollar crashed in 2008, showing that dollar is not free from fluctuation when the price of oil fluctuates.

If everyone in the world uses Rupees, then India will have enough demand for Rupee that it will not have a need to devalue. The devaluation happens with respect to dollar due to dollar hegemony rather than on its own. The problem is with dollar which is arbitrarily being forced upon countries and hence necessitating devaluation and other tactics. 

Recently (and intelligent people believe in response to tariffs), China devalued their currency by about that amount. The IMF "allowed" that it "could" have been due to natural causes, and that "would" be correct, if China were any kind of free market. But everyone knows they aren't, which is the problem. Nothing happens without the Politburo okaying it. Now a trader not only has to worry about the vagaries of the normal give and take of high finance, but additionally worry about corrupt leaders and sketchy Banks. Better dump those renminbi fast

If China was not compelled to use someone else's currency, thus pegging their economy with someone else's whims, China too would have maintained stable currency. It is because China is forced to use dollar for trade that it tries to change its own currency price accordingly. Chinese devaluation is a reaction to dollar, not an inherent problem. If Chinese Yuan/Renminbi was the international currency, then China sis not have to do such devaluations. The idea that China will do the same devaluation even when its currency becomes international currency without questioning USA's Bretton Woods annulment simply reeks of bias.

13 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

If I sell my hard earned oil to you for 1 million rupees and it subsequently devalues by 20%, have I just taken a massive haircut on the oil I sold? Same for renminbi closer to the thread topic.

Recently (and intelligent people believe in response to tariffs), China devalued their currency by about that amount. 

Chinese currency changed from 6,5 to 7,05 from July 2018 till December 2019. It is about 7% and most of all się to strengthening of US dolar vs other major currencies from Chinese weighted foreign currency basket. 20% from 6,5 would be devaluation till 7,8 rate. 

Another case od strong denial. You are more eager to forget that you are math major and certainly capable of easy arithmetic. I was wondering what is the curriculum of this advanced placement program in case of 2 calculus courses. It was really advanced, first of them i had in secondary school, mandatory but i was in math class and second only on my freshmen year. I have 2 friends that are professional scientists in a field of theoretical physics and by comparison could say you have great mind, really gifted. That is why i do not like this premeditated bashing China by just repeating Trump tweets.

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1