Tom Kirkman

Trump's China Strategy: Death By a Thousand Paper Cuts

(edited)

''Anarchy'' - same as yours, though I'm confident one day you guys will change it to ANERKEY as you have a habit of needing things nice and simple. We all know why that is. 

Edited by Guest

(edited)

This is presumably why Americans felt the need to add the letter E to whisky. It appears generations ago you all got a little confused (shocking I know), and were either pronouncing it 'wiss - sky' (as in the sky above us), or 'why - sky', as the letters s-k-y in a row threw you all no doubt. 

The E was added to remind you all I assume that the second syllable is a 'skee' sound. It's little things like this Tom that explain the American brain. You appear to be an exception, and Jan is European and evidently slightly polluted mentally from the language butchery over the years.

:)  autumn / fall -   ''hey Billy, leaves are falling outside''  '' Ok, we shall call this season 'fall' ''   Sums it up.

''An M and N next to each other?'' Way too confusing clearly. 2 consonants? Next to each other? 

#ALUMINIUM

Cheers.

Edited by Guest

Good thing you didn't touch on German or Skandinavian propensity to string numerous consonants together.

Brits apparently tend to keep their verbiage simpler, like fag instead of cigarette.

Cheers.

• Haha 2

''Cigarette'' as in from French? ;)  

Yeah, there are tons of examples of us having the 'simpler' verbiage Tom, keep telling yourself that mate 🤣  I can appreciate English's varying European origins, hence no butchering. You guys did not comply although you are now quoting FRENCH to me and giving the big one about English 🤣

Nothing wrong with consonants next to each other ...

A - M - E - R - I - C - A

Oh ... keep it simple, should have guessed mate ... 

:) 

Hey, what does this guy know, he's "British"!  

English.

There is a difference.

Ok, now you have me curious.  What exactly is the difference between English and British?

(edited)

@Tom Kirkman   are you trolling me LOL? 'British' just means relating to GB or the UK. 

Great Britain or the United Kingdom is a 'sovereign state' and we are a collection of countries within that. There is not a 'British' language, it is called English as we are the majority of the UK, clearly the more superior country and it's our language. Ask James, he knows. (It's all 'English' but with different accents). 

I don't actually like being called British or having to put it as my nationality on a form or whatever. I am proud to be English as I expect Scots, Welsh and Irish to be. When you call me 'British' it's true enough but it's like being lumped in with the whole UK. That is never a good thing. Again, ask James. Americans seem to quite commonly call us all just Brits but despite our small size there are huge differences within small distances, especially the accents, but more importantly the fact you can be going from one country to another.

To clarify mate, personally I don't consider 'British' a nationality really because GB is simply an island. There is no country 'Britain' to me, as it's a collection of 4 countries, so by definition there is no nationality 'British'. It doesn't really make sense to me. Also, simply because England is not the whole of Britain surely answers your question? That's why there is a difference between English and British.

- - - - -

* On a passport it says 'GB and Northern Ireland' so yeah you could say it's a 'British' passport, but that's just to make certain things easier for us all (for example having 4 different passports just for our island would be ridiculous). I'm still English and will always put England as my place of birth wherever I can, as I'd expect a Scotsman, Welshman or Irishman to for their respective countries.

* @Jan van Eck  it's like me calling you 'Beneluxian' ... it's true, but do you like it? 

There is a simple rule you all need to remember. When we are potentially shit at something, but want to win as many gold medals as we can at the olympics, then we are Great Britain. When we are good at something, like football, the rest of you can f**k off and we are England again. 

Edited by Guest

(edited)

5 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

The on-going problem for Canada is the Canada-US exchange rate, and its corollary, the CDN-Euro exchange rate.  If you go back to the 1960's, the US-CDN exchange rate was about par, within a few pennies, sometimes over par, sometimes below.  That put the two economies on an even footing and led to the great Canadian economic expansion, together with the first waves of immigrants (and quite a few from the USA itself) to supply the labour force needed to sustain that economic expansion.  

Now fast-forward to about year 2000 and the Canadian leftists had manged to so screw it up that the CDN dollar has collapsed down to 68 cents.  Why?  Only with a collapsed currency could Canada export anything, its internal costs had risen so for, so fast, that its goods were no longer even remotely competitive within its largest trading partner, the USA.  And a big chunk of that was composed of two things:  Canadina labour costs, and Canadian electricity costs.  For a society with vast resources of hydropower, the Liberals had still managed to make the stuff massively expensive, to the point that energy-intensive industries shuddered under the load.

Now the other problem, still there today, is that in Canada if the plant employees decide to unionize (and that is typical), then if management and labour cannot agree on a contract, the provincial government (especially in Ontario, the manufacturing heart of Canada) will step in and draw up a contract, including job classifications and labour costs for each classification, and shove it down your throat:  here's your contract, and that is the way it is going to be. Management (the plant owners) no longer have anything to say.  Now you can argue that this is a good thing, it might well be, as it takes the energies of all away from the haggling and back to actual work, but it leaves a foul taste in the mouths of the plant owners and then they start thinking in terms of pulling up stakes and moving to the USA - where that is largely unknown. 

The way Canadian industry combats this is to automate, to replace labour inputs with capital inputs.  The problems are manifold: first, there is a scarcity of capital in Canada, or to be more accurate, "risk capital," as Canadians are notoriously risk-averse.  They purchase more life insurance than anywhere else on the planet, for example.  So the firms tend to agglomerate into large corporations, and their risk capital comes from the Government.  Bombardier is a prime example of this phenomenon. Second, it becomes difficult to expand employment, as there is this counter-push to go to more automation in production, precisely to counter the effects of greater employment!  Third, you never get up tothe long or longer production runs you need to justify the usage of all that capital inputs, so the firms stay stagnant.  And fourth, the capital needed is amplified by the exchange rate, as that expensive production machinery is typically imported stuff, not made domestically, and you pay through the nose for it with a 33% devalued dollar. 

The problem for Trudeau and his Liberals is that there is no solution.  They have created this economic nightmare of stagnation resulting from currency devaluations, and there is no way out.  Canada will slide into being an economic backwater, with chronic unemployment, high unit  costs, the people having little disposable income, and high housing costs - all a function of Liberal policies past and present.  Will that change?  Nope, not in your lifetime.  An unsettling prospect for Canadians, to be sure.  Hey, you wanted it, you voted for it, now you have it, so now you get to go to bed with it.  Enjoy the coitus. 

We had Harper from 2006 to 2015, what great economic times.... but of course that is Trudeau's fault because of his dad.

Edited by Enthalpic

1 hour ago, DayTrader said:

* @Jan van Eck  it's like me calling you 'Beneluxian' ... it's true, but do you like it?

Sure, chum, see if I care.  Kinda irrelevant to me, I live in the North Country with the ice and snow.  Was 07 degrees F. this morning, with a foot of snow on the ground.  Brrrr!   [Benelux does not get like that.]

OK, so per the superior Edict of D.T., I am officially a "Beneluxian," from here on in.  Sounds mighty fine to me!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

We had Harper from 2006 to 2015, what great economic times.... but of course that is Trudeau's fault because of his dad.

Everything is Trudeau's fault.  You should know that, you live there!

• Haha 1

Where you live now is irrelevant. If I moved to the South Pole I still wouldn't want to be called British.

(edited)

5 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

Everything is Trudeau's fault.  You should know that, you live there!

No I live in Alberta so it's all Notely's and the NDP's fault despite that fact the P. Cons ran Alberta into the ground for decades before her single term.  

Why didn't Harper and the Alberta PC's build some damn pipelines? 

Oddly that only became a problem after the PC's lost both elections.

Edited by Enthalpic

1 minute ago, Enthalpic said:

No I live in Alberta so it's all Notely's and the NDP's fault despite that fact the P. Cons ran Alberta into the ground for decades before her single term.  

Hey, as they say in QUEBEC:  chacun à son goût!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

Blame it on the CN and the CP, those are the guys that are not providing the rail cars to move that oil.....

Just now, Jan van Eck said:

Blame it on the CN and the CP, those are the guys that are not providing the rail cars to move that oil.....

Alberta loves that QC needs emergency propane shipments... "Oh what you want our hydrocarbons now?"

• Haha 1

Just now, Enthalpic said:

Alberta loves that QC needs emergency propane shipments... "Oh what you want our hydrocarbons now?"

You bet they do!   Big time!

The trans mountain expansion is actually being built.... under the Libs.

39 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

So much in a thread gets railroaded but what can a day trader do about it?

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Rolling Eye 2

(edited)

Aaw did your handlers feel left out not talking about China for 2 minutes?

Your government is the scum of the earth. Is that back on track enough for you?

Maybe you can start a thread if these are your concerns LOL.

image.jpeg.13a0297225151e2a8fc65f2d7922a4c0.jpeg

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, DayTrader said:

Where you live now is irrelevant. If I moved to the South Pole I still wouldn't want to be called British.

Nooooooooo

you're English and don’t you forget it!!

1 hour ago, Rob Plant said:

you're English and don’t you forget it!!

I agree LOL, that was my point. 

2 hours ago, DayTrader said:

Gents, especially @DayTrader@Rob Plant

This thread is about China. It would be better if  you start the thread:

"Insecurities of British people, Pre Brexit Syndrome ?"

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, remake it said:

So much in a thread gets railroaded but what can a day trader do about it?

2 hours ago, DayTrader said:

2 minutes ago, Marcin said:

Gents, especially @DayTrader@Rob Plant

This thread is about China. It would be better if  you start the thread:

"Insecurities of British people, Pre Brexit Syndrome ?"

It pains me to say this, but remake it was actually getting the thread back on topic.

Strange days indeed.

Anyway, no DT, I wasn't trolling about the difference between British and English.  The differences might seem obvious to an Englishperson, but not so much to me.  For reference, on the Island of Borneo, there are 3 countries, each with their own passports: part of Indonesia, part of Malaysia, and the entirety of Brunei.