MS

Democrats through impeachment process helped Trump go out of China deal conundrum. Now Trump can safely postpone deal till after November 2020 elections

Happy to hear it sir, I have always believed a little humor can go a long way and sometimes here is needed I feel, if only to ease the tensions that are prone to naturally arise with certain topics. I have not frequented the site for very long and rather enjoy the discussions, though I must admit I find myself smiling or shaking my head in disbelief on occasion.

The user Marcin's comment rather made me smile and I feel he mentioned your personal thread at all due to the vast number of them that revolve around the USA and China. Incidentally I see you are a moderator here sir? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

I'm not convinced about the not stealing part. In fact my old ASIC company had designed communications chips and cores currently standard in roughly all the world. Everyone who didn't buy the chips just licensed the cores. Except a well known Chinese company suddenly came out with their "own" design. Except it wasn't their own, they had just run with a design we'd used for a test boat (the wafers are called boats). The test code was supposed to have been protected, then destroyed, clearly it wasn't. Now there was a bug in our design, which was why we'd run the tests in the first place. We knew they'd stolen from us because they had exactly the same bug. Their production systems needed glue logic to compensate. 

Innovation is still innovation and I don't care how much a company like IBM spends, they're constantly out-innovated by smaller, more nimble competitors, who spend considerably less. 

You are right, China is still stealing, I do not want to whitewash them, it is easier for them to get away with theft because companies will not report many cases in order to not loose Chinese market access (large market&mercantilist gov policies)

I should have said: own IP development is becoming more important than IP theft. I think proof is that China is developing IP courts, reason is more about protecting domestic IP, not foreign IP.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@Ward Smith I am curious what is your opinion about stiffening of US technology sanctions against China. US is finally maneuvering into idea of banning sales of all litography with US IP (read: all semiconductor making machinery) towards Chinese customers. I think this is the way to cripple Chinese nascent semiconductor industry, succcesful only if European companies like ASML would oblige.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Trade-war/Exclusive-ASML-chip-tool-delivery-to-China-delayed-amid-US-ire

TAIPEI -- ASML, Europe's largest manufacturer of specialized chipmaking machines, has fallen prey to Washington's desire to curb Beijing's technological ascent and delayed shipment of a crucial tool needed to develop China's semiconductor industry, the Nikkei Asian Review has learned.

ASML's move comes as the U.S. carefully scrutinizes all major companies in Chinese tech supply chains, such as Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., the world's largest chipmaker, which supplies chips to Huawei, the Chinese tech company that the U.S. has accused of spying.

Allegedly also Taiwanese government waits to January 2020 Presidential elections to ban TSMC sales to Chinese customers. This single move would cripple Huawei.

• Like 1

(edited)

3 hours ago, Papillon said:

Happy to hear it sir, I have always believed a little humor can go a long way and sometimes here is needed I feel, if only to ease the tensions that are prone to naturally arise with certain topics. I have not frequented the site for very long and rather enjoy the discussions, though I must admit I find myself smiling or shaking my head in disbelief on occasion.

The user Marcin's comment rather made me smile and I feel he mentioned your personal thread at all due to the vast number of them that revolve around the USA and China. Incidentally I see you are a moderator here sir? 

Sir If I may say, which I believe I can I've been here long enough, I think your attitude and general posting is quite pompous, as you rightly quoted you have not been here long, but seem to deem yourself as a potential moderator, perhaps thats where you should apply. Im sure you will be welcome. #trafficwardens

Edited by James Regan
The white zone is for loading and unloading only, dont park in the white zone, you'll love it its a way of life.
  • Downvote 1

(edited)

With respect sir, I fail to see presently how asking Mr Kirkman if he is a moderator seems to translate to you as I wish to be one myself? The only rational explanation to me seems to be that English is maybe not your first language? Indeed in perusing some of your content it appears you are from Scotland and so confirms my suspicion about what your first language is. It also seems to me the confirmation of why you label me as 'pompous' as I appreciate you may not be accustomed to words with more than 3 syllables? 

If you wish to personally attack me with no reason sir you will most likely find, with respect, I will intellectually crush you like a bug, but you are more than welcome to have another effort. 

Edited by Papillon
  • Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

58 minutes ago, Papillon said:

With respect sir, I fail to see presently how asking Mr Kirkman if he is a moderator seems to translate to you as I wish to be one myself? The only rational explanation to me seems to be that English is maybe not your first language? Indeed in perusing some of your content it appears you are from Scotland and so confirms my suspicion about what your first language is. It also seems to me the confirmation of why you label me as 'pompous' as I appreciate you may not be accustomed to words with more than 3 syllables? 

If you wish to personally attack me with no reason sir you will most likely find, with respect, I will intellectually crush you like a bug, but you are more than welcome to have another effort. 

Now you have made it racial, I was merely having a dig at your autoesteem and to also testing the gauge of your epidermis. Your reply explains a lot and further amplifies you're delusional ego, that being of a higher intelligence, we have seen many alike. Regarding Tom he is more like an Uncle Tom, if you understand the name, someone needs to keep us (expletive) in order.

Did you forget to add a comma after the conjunctive linking adverb?

Edited by James Regan

@Papillon yep, I'm a moderator, but am loathe to censor or delete anything.  Mostly I just try to maintain some kind of forum civility in this herd of cats, while encouraging others to dissent without being a pain

You may wish to read up about @James Regan a bit before trying to "intellectually crush" James "like a bug".  James knows a heckuva lot about upsteam oil, has done a fair bit of international travel for O&G, shoots 50 caliber guns, rides motorcycles, has a wicked sense of humor, and is no slouch intellectually.  And he has been one of my LinkedIn connections for years. 

James, try not to be too hard on Papillon while you avoid being crushed.  A battle of wits can sometimes be like poking polite jello.  

/edit       the "jello" reference is not a reference to you, Papillon, but to our resident AI bot here.

Old fart side joke.  Many decades ago, my best friend George was General Manager, and I was Assistant General Manager.  Both worked there for a number of years.  Neither of us were big on company rules and company policies.  But we were good at making money, so the boss put up with us.

One day, in frustration, my boss asked us "does everything have to be a joke with you guys?".  Our first response was ... "is this a trick question?"

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

James, we posted a response at the same time.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, James Regan said:

you're delusional ego

your

2 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

You may wish to read up about @James Regan a bit before trying to "intellectually crush" James "like a bug".

I do not wish to crush him at all sir, it was he who attacked my use of language and apparent wish to be a moderator.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

8 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

@Papillon yep, I'm a moderator, but am loathe to censor or delete anything.  Mostly I just try to maintain some kind of forum civility in this herd of cats, while encouraging others to dissent without being a pain

You may wish to read up about @James Regan a bit before trying to "intellectually crush" James "like a bug".  James knows a heckuva lot about upsteam oil, has done a fair bit of international travel for O&G, shoots 50 caliber guns, rides motorcycles, has a wicked sense of humor, and is no slouch intellectually.  And he has been one of my LinkedIn connections for years. 

James, try not to be too hard on Papillon while you avoid being crushed.  A battle of wits can sometimes be like poking polite jello.

Old fart side joke.  Many decades ago, my best friend George was General Manager, and I was Assistant General Manager.  Both worked there for a number of years.  Neither of us were big on company rules and company policies.  But we were good at making money, so the boss put up with us.

One day, in frustration, my boss asked us "does everything have to be a joke with you guys?".  Our first response was ... "is this a trick question?"

@Papillon in all reality I was honestly having a jesting dig, I was called Pompous once on here by the most pompous person on the planet, I believe. I was just testing your water.

Welcome to the forum, Im sure you will be a great addition.

respectfully

James

Edited by James Regan
Jetfuel didn't quite make sense
  • Like 4

(edited)

@Tom Kirkman

Tom I can now see why you're a moderator!

Respect!

@James Regan + @ Papillon

Gents from what I have read on here from both you guys I can conclude that you are both super smart people with bags of knowledge that this forum will benefit from over the weeks and months to come

@James Regan loved your last reply!

Lets get a little more humour back though

Respectfully

Edited by Rob Plant
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Lets get a little more humour back though

My Magic 8 ball is constantly correct.  Spooky.

U0ISCT2_d.jpg.1b0300e1a20be27e57e7f3aeb97c52ce.jpg

• Haha 3

@Papillon , let me 'test the waters' for you ...

James is indeed Scottish, it is not his fault. This is why Tom lists shooting guns and riding motorcycles as apparent signs of intelligence. You see, in Scotland, if you can sit on a bike or even use a gun without blowing your own head off, you are in the top 10% instantly.

It starts with an awful diet that seems to start at birth as they will literally eat anything as long as it is deep fried. As they get older the whisky consumption simply grows and grows, it is literally in their blood. So go easy on him, although I agree with every word you say and cannot wait for you to converse with Jan van Eck here. I genuinely think your posts are incredible. Respect.

How are 'the waters' now James?  ;) 

@DayTrader

Kristian where have you been hiding?

• Like 1

(edited)

46 minutes ago, DayTrader said:

I genuinely think your posts are incredible. Respect.

How are 'the waters' now James?  ;) 

Thankyou sir. I have also throughout the threads discovered and enjoyed a lot of your posts and sense of humor (or should that be humoUr?) and sarcasm. I could tell you were English in an instant and am half English myself. If I may, would it be at all possible to contact via the messenger feature with regard to trading at all sir?

I am assuming you are both friends for you to talk in this way? I meant no offence in my post, it was intended as a little banter back and forth too in all honesty as I'm sure Mr Regan's was, which he then confirmed. It just seemed to come out of nowhere in fairness and I was a little taken aback as it were. He seems a pleasant enough fellow. 

Edited by Papillon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Papillon said:

He seems a pleasant enough fellow. 

A pleasant Scotsman now that is a first!😂

• Like 1
  • Rolling Eye 2

9 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

A pleasant Scotsman now that is a first!😂

I will refrain from commenting sir ... 

• Haha 1
  • Rolling Eye 2

(edited)

40 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

@DayTrader

Hey man, got a few bits on plus moving house so just checking in now and then, I'll be back in new year maybe a bit more.

39 minutes ago, Papillon said:

via the messenger feature with regard to trading

Would be a pleasure Papillon, give me a couple of days though. 

Oh, and yeah, James and I are friends ... unfortunately. I can't shake him.

Edited by Guest

52 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

@DayTrader

Pretty sure he has been busy going to church.  Christmas season and all.

• Haha 3

On 12/4/2019 at 7:37 PM, SERWIN said:

Tom said it best though, the war really is over and we did win

Winning the battle is NOT the same as winning the war. This was the point I was trying to get across to @Tom Kirkman in another thread. 

@Marcin had a fairly good breakdown of this as well. 

16 hours ago, Marcin said:

You are right, China is still stealing, I do not want to whitewash them, it is easier for them to get away with theft because companies will not report many cases in order to not loose Chinese market access (large market&mercantilist gov policies)

I should have said: own IP development is becoming more important than IP theft. I think proof is that China is developing IP courts, reason is more about protecting domestic IP, not foreign IP.

There is nothing wrong is copying. It is not that wheel was invented by everyone. But everyone uses it. IPR simply makes monopoly of the first mover by putting restrictions on those who come second. That is not fair in the first place.

16 hours ago, Marcin said:

@Ward Smith I am curious what is your opinion about stiffening of US technology sanctions against China. US is finally maneuvering into idea of banning sales of all litography with US IP (read: all semiconductor making machinery) towards Chinese customers. I think this is the way to cripple Chinese nascent semiconductor industry, succcesful only if European companies like ASML would oblige.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Trade-war/Exclusive-ASML-chip-tool-delivery-to-China-delayed-amid-US-ire

TAIPEI -- ASML, Europe's largest manufacturer of specialized chipmaking machines, has fallen prey to Washington's desire to curb Beijing's technological ascent and delayed shipment of a crucial tool needed to develop China's semiconductor industry, the Nikkei Asian Review has learned.

ASML's move comes as the U.S. carefully scrutinizes all major companies in Chinese tech supply chains, such as Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., the world's largest chipmaker, which supplies chips to Huawei, the Chinese tech company that the U.S. has accused of spying.

Allegedly also Taiwanese government waits to January 2020 Presidential elections to ban TSMC sales to Chinese customers. This single move would cripple Huawei.

USA always put restrictions on Chinese semiconductor industry. All Semiconductor technology was first developed in USA and USA has the IPR for them, even ASML. ASML is in EU only to give some work load to EU as a matter of christian alliance, not real sharing of IPR. Korea, Taiwa, Japan also have semiconductor industry based on USA IPR and the semiconductor fabs are controlled by USA military in these countries.

China has developed semiconductor technology upto 28nm and is slowly developing newer ones without any USA help. Just like USa could develop semiconductor, China also can develop it, though with a time lag. USA can't stop China in any way. China has alternatives to USA semiconductors, though slightly inferior, still they serve their purpose for lower cost. Moreover, China controls rare earth minerals due to which it becomes impossible for USA to sanction China completely without suffering major backlash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kshithij Sharma said:

There is nothing wrong is copying. It is not that wheel was invented by everyone. But everyone uses it. IPR simply makes monopoly of the first mover by putting restrictions on those who come second. That is not fair in the first place.

The approach of copying was and is being used by each and every country in history, also by United States. The reason of agressive US approach towards copying by China is that China is best in fast prototyping and immediate scaling up of production. Take wind turbines lately. Western turbine makers where happy with overpriced model of oligopoly. Then suddenly Chinese producers were able deliver unlimited number of turbines in 10s of GWs in months.

When China starts doing what everybody was doing in the past US approach suddenly changes.

In South China Sea artificial island building on Spratly atols was conducted for decades by all countries. All these countries managed to reclaim 40 hectares of land in 20 years and Taiwan built short airstrip and quasi military base. And suddenly came China and reclaimed 1000 hectares in 2 years and built modern military bases during the next 2 years. And suddenly this was unacceptable.

• Great Response! 1

2 hours ago, kshithij Sharma said:

USA always put restrictions on Chinese semiconductor industry. All Semiconductor technology was first developed in USA and USA has the IPR for them, even ASML. ASML is in EU only to give some work load to EU as a matter of christian alliance, not real sharing of IPR. Korea, Taiwa, Japan also have semiconductor industry based on USA IPR and the semiconductor fabs are controlled by USA military in these countries.

China has developed semiconductor technology upto 28nm and is slowly developing newer ones without any USA help. Just like USa could develop semiconductor, China also can develop it, though with a time lag. USA can't stop China in any way. China has alternatives to USA semiconductors, though slightly inferior, still they serve their purpose for lower cost. Moreover, China controls rare earth minerals due to which it becomes impossible for USA to sanction China completely without suffering major backlash.

US is trying to re-open US rare earth mine, it will take time to scale up refining. Major control of semiconductors by US is through equipment, even SEMIC 28 nm process could not be conducted without US or European equipment. Also Huawei without TSMC foundries is gone.

@kshithij Sharma as you already rightly observed in similar @Tom Kirkman thread China is authoritarian meritocracy. At a time I was studying their model of selecting and vetting top leaders, it is sth fantastic and directly derives from Imperial Bureaucracy model. It is similar to to current model of internal selection of cadres in top US corporations like General Electric (in Jack Welch times), Alphabet or Procter&Gamble, only a lot of better.

For example Xi Jinping is better prepared to be effective Chinese paramount leader than was any President in whole US history, I checked this.

• Like 1