Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MG

Canada's Conservative Party Leader just resigned

The leader of the Opposition Conservative Party, Andres Scheer, just resigned, leaving the place in chaos.  It turns out that the Party used some Party money to pay the differential in schooling costs for the kids, between Scheer's home town of Regina, Saskatchewan, and (very pricey) Ottawa, Ontario, but without getting the approval of the Board of Directors.  This "top-up" then had certain reporters asking nosy questions, and Scheer just bailed out.  OK, now what?  It leaves the governing minority Liberals, with Justin Trudeau at the helm, without any major opposition, thus pushing back any plausible date for yet another Canadian election.  And now the Conservatives actually have to go find a new Party Leader that will appeal to a broader base of voters than the mere 30% that vote Conservative  (and most of those being out west in Alberta and Saskatchewan).  So, folks, how are they going to do that?   I predict they cannot.  I predict the Conservative Party is headed for the ditch, and the Liberal have been handed a huge gift.   Bye-bye new pipelines, your oil is staying in the ground, unless you can ship it by rail tankcar. A bad day for the oilpatch.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/conservatives-after-scheer-the-revolution-eats-its-own/?utm_source=nl&utm_medium=em&utm_campaign=mme_politics&sfi=e87b5d06479f2c77b1b13b5c59293626

Peter Zeihan is looking like an absolute genius(author of: The Accidental Super Power and the Absent Super Power).  I scoffed 5 years ago when he said Alberta was going to be looking to succeed or change the Canada Federal experiment in the next decade....    So far .... he is looking to be about 100% correct...  Fine, no one is 100%, but 90% correct

(edited)

2 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

The leader of the Opposition Conservative Party, Andres Scheer, just resigned, leaving the place in chaos.  It turns out that the Party used some Party money to pay the differential in schooling costs for the kids, between Scheer's home town of Regina, Saskatchewan, and (very pricey) Ottawa, Ontario, but without getting the approval of the Board of Directors.  This "top-up" then had certain reporters asking nosy questions, and Scheer just bailed out.  OK, now what?  It leaves the governing minority Liberals, with Justin Trudeau at the helm, without any major opposition, thus pushing back any plausible date for yet another Canadian election.  And now the Conservatives actually have to go find a new Party Leader that will appeal to a broader base of voters than the mere 30% that vote Conservative  (and most of those being out west in Alberta and Saskatchewan).  So, folks, how are they going to do that?   I predict they cannot.  I predict the Conservative Party is headed for the ditch, and the Liberal have been handed a huge gift.   Bye-bye new pipelines, your oil is staying in the ground, unless you can ship it by rail tankcar. A bad day for the oilpatch.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/conservatives-after-scheer-the-revolution-eats-its-own/?utm_source=nl&utm_medium=em&utm_campaign=mme_politics&sfi=e87b5d06479f2c77b1b13b5c59293626

Trans mountain expansion construction is well underway.  I've seen it with my own eyes (it runs close enough to my property I got formal notification).

Scheer was going to lose his leadership anyway after he failed to win (a new leadership race is required by party rules after a leader fails to win).

When Prentice lost in Alberta he full blown quit (refused to sit as an MLA) what respect for democracy....

Edited by Enthalpic

1 hour ago, Enthalpic said:

Trans mountain expansion construction is well underway.  I've seen it with my own eyes (it runs close enough to my property I got formal notification).

It won't make it over the B.C. Border.   You heard it here first.