Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ronwagn

Apple to Bypass Internet and Beam Directly to Phones

https://www.fastcompany.com/90446468/apple-wants-to-bypass-carriers-and-beam-internet-data-directly-to-iphones-via-satellites

Questions: Will this avoid 5G? How would it compare to StarLink? Who will be first? Apple has the most money but is starting late. RCW

Apple wants to bypass carriers and beam internet data directly to iPhones via satellites

Motorola had that dream, Iridium I think they called it. Bankrupted the company. I think the US Navy still pays to keep the satellites going.

Apple does have deeper pockets, fear of competition verses the arrogance Motorola had, and of course technology has come a long way. However I don't see how you could get around the latency issues.  

• Like 2

On 12/21/2019 at 7:28 PM, John Foote said:

I don't see how you could get around the latency issues.  

International phone calls over fiber are already possible.  One of the advantages of space-based communication is that light travels faster in a vacuum, reducing latency. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 10:15 AM, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

International phone calls over fiber are already possible.  One of the advantages of space-based communication is that light travels faster in a vacuum, reducing latency. 

I understand that, but a huge amount of the 5G potential isn't communications, it robotics, auto-driving vehicles, where distances to signals and replies matter a lot. Feeding this Internet of Everything is what drives the biz model where I am today. The amount of processing power being embedded into so many devices that are inter-connected is scary. For most communications, the time lag doesn't really, you are absolutely correct. But for self driving vehicles tied in with most other things moving on the road, decentralization, the information used as close to the source, matters even if the differences are fractions of seconds. 

One of modern finances bizzaro world things. Huge server farms with AI making trades fill up buildings on Wall Street, which are essentially peopleless. As these crazy trading algorithms try to out-pace/out-maneuver each other, being closest to the trade for execution matters. And. we are talking billiononths of a second to have an edge.  I supposed those algorithms are kind of f'd now. They are great for fighting it out amount each other, but how they handle fundamental change, hmmm, I wonder. 

For fun I used to set up a TV on an over the air HD signal, watch on Satellite, and stream. Shocking the time discrepancies on a live feed. I don't think it's distance that was causing most of the differences. The days of clean signals not being processed are long gone.

• Upvote 2

Actually since I am in somewhat of bitchy mode a trifle rant is in order. A few month's ago we re_tvd the rv along with the satteltie system. During the pause in service I hooked up the off the air antenna and the picture was stunning. All those yrs of paying for high def tv and all I was getting was SD. I. WANT A REFUND. Ok rant over where's my check.

• Haha 1

Any latency over satelite feeds depends on which type of satelite you use. Geosynchronous orbit satelites (Stationary) are necessarily 35,786 km away from earth and the signal delay going up to and coming back from these satelites is about 0.5 seconds, if there is only one jump. It is simple mathematics, ie, how long does the signal take to cover 71.572‬, travelling at the speed of light, ie 300.000 km/h?

On the other hand, elyptical satelites orbit much closer to earth, with a much lower latency. But since they do not stay above the same spot, they require tracking receivers that can follow them in the sky and jump from one satelite to another, as they cross the sky and disappear on the horizon. The Motorola project was based on elyptical orbit satelites and I would presume that the Apple project will also use this type os satelite,

• Great Response! 1

(edited)

On 3/12/2020 at 10:15 AM, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

The difference between call speed between satellites and ground phones vs fiber is negative.  You have distortion problems between the satellite and the phone in the magnetosphere and Ionosphere so checksums  to prevent dropouts actually delay the conversation;  Ignoring atmospherics effects a satellite phone connection is maybe1-2km/s faster than fiber optic .

Edited by nsdp