ronwagn

Apple to Bypass Internet and Beam Directly to Phones

Nice to see that. Thank you.

(edited)

On 11/9/2021 at 7:22 PM, specinho said:

image.png.78545b20d8be4009e6e683e17a1cb691.png

Not sure if this illustration is correct............. the sky is the limit? If a TV programme can be broadcasted without a satellite in the late 20's, that might mean images could be sent without a satellite?

Shall for high security communication purpose,  a satellite is put up, what is the story on competition to cover the earth with it? 😳

To deflect potential hit of asteroid? 😯

A theory was up recently........... will pool game be helpful to knock it off?? Say M1V1 = M2V2. Anyone is up to do a simulation? 👾

image.png.5e1889a3b578f54faf3167428315dfc2.png

Probably looking for

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropospheric_scatter

Making a bit of a comeback lately, at least in Russia. (US and USSR both used to use this to communicate with some military junk out in the polar region)

Edited by Andrei Moutchkine
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 4:07 PM, turbguy said:

No very much faster. 

If at all. You use light from lasers in international fiber optic.   Satellite transmissions require electromagnetic  spectrum. EU and FCC aren't selling any right now unless you are willing to go back to the sub 540 khz range. (old AM radio frequency)

On 3/12/2020 at 8:15 AM, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

International phone calls over fiber are already possible.  One of the advantages of space-based communication is that light travels faster in a vacuum, reducing latency. 

If you believe that I have a massive swamp on the bottom of the ocean to sell you. 

Do you also believe there are chiefs in Ghana who do not know how to get rid of their gold?

Do you also believe there are hot 19 year old women just waiting for your highness to collect them?

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2022 at 11:40 PM, nsdp said:

If at all. You use light from lasers in international fiber optic.   Satellite transmissions require electromagnetic  spectrum. EU and FCC aren't selling any right now unless you are willing to go back to the sub 540 khz range. (old AM radio frequency)

Light is part of the electromagnetic spectrum. However, tightbeam communications are not necessarily subject to FCC-like regs, because there is no broadcast involved. Knock yourself out if you want more detail

https://digitalcommons.wcl.american.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1102&context=ipbrief

On 3/25/2022 at 6:33 AM, footeab@yahoo.com said:

If you believe that I have a massive swamp on the bottom of the ocean to sell you. 

Do you also believe there are chiefs in Ghana who do not know how to get rid of their gold?

Do you also believe there are hot 19 year old women just waiting for your highness to collect them?

There is nothing unusual about freespace laser coms

On 11/4/2021 at 3:17 PM, Eyes Wide Open said:

Yes I do Ron, the picture quality was stunning as compared to Dish. Night and day, most HD is done by the sports industry and watching those programs in Off The Air broadcasting left a very bad taste in my mouth. 

I switched from Dish to youtubetv, now they want me to pay extra for HD. They do show a few things in HD for some reason. 

On 3/30/2022 at 4:46 AM, Andrei Moutchkine said:

Light is part of the electromagnetic spectrum. However, tightbeam communications are not necessarily subject to FCC-like regs, because there is no broadcast involved. Knock yourself out if you want more detail

https://digitalcommons.wcl.american.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1102&context=ipbrief

There is nothing unusual about freespace laser coms

No there is nothing unusual but if you want to operate one at more than 10 watts you have to have an FCC license. https://www.caci.com/sites/default/files/2020-10/F506_201023_CICADA_LaserComm.pdf

Just when did you get a license to practice law in the US Judicial System?   I got mine from the US Supreme Court in 1981.

On 4/10/2022 at 12:25 AM, nsdp said:

No there is nothing unusual but if you want to operate one at more than 10 watts you have to have an FCC license. https://www.caci.com/sites/default/files/2020-10/F506_201023_CICADA_LaserComm.pdf

Just when did you get a license to practice law in the US Judicial System?   I got mine from the US Supreme Court in 1981.

You don't need one for actual comms in outer space. "Freespace laser" means any odd laser that does not use a special medium, like a fiber. Easy to confuse the two. Every space laser is a freespace variety, but the opposite is not true.

Ah, the Supreme Court. An organization that is supposed to divinate on the US Constitution to find stuff which was never there to start with and manages to do something else every time. I am a fan!  With the rest of the organization (USA) being en entirely lawless crime syndicate anyway, this one is just a bit of innocent fun. There is a source of higher law than the US Supreme Court, and it is the law of logic. Violate it at your own peril.

Just to nitpick, are the FCC regs not really laws, due to FCC being an agency of the Executive branch. Oh, and since when does the Supreme Court administer bar examinations? I thought the States do that?

(edited)

On 3/24/2022 at 11:40 PM, nsdp said:

Neither EU nor FCC has any authority in outer space. The spectrum is considered some sort of public domain / research /  unlicensed. See

https://www.unoosa.org/oosa/en/ourwork/spacelaw/treaties/introouterspacetreaty.html

Note that this does not apply to whatever ground stations you may need. Those are subject to regulation by host countries where they are located, of course. As a practical matter, the actual TV satellite communication frequency tends to be in the region of 12 GHz and is already licensed for the application appropriately. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-noise_block_downconverter#Standard_North_America_Ku_band_LNB

Edited by Andrei Moutchkine

On 3/12/2020 at 4:15 PM, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

International phone calls over fiber are already possible.  One of the advantages of space-based communication is that light travels faster in a vacuum, reducing latency. 

The most expensive part of communications is usually not the transmission, but misc. multiplexing/demultiplexing. Optical is no different there.