Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SM

US intelligence warn against Chinese phones

Top officials from major U.S. intelligence agencies including the CIA, the FBI, and the National Security Agency (NSA) have suggested people should not use devices made by Chinese manufacturers Huawei or ZTE. The agency chiefs said they had deep concerns, over potential security risks claimed to come from using "telecoms devices made by companies beholden to foreign governments.” 

so are they saying that Apple and Motorola are safe? Are they saying that CIA, FBI and NSA are not spying on US citizens? 

right, also don't drive Japanese and Korean cars, since those governments are trying to kill you. Drive Jeep, you are safe

anything you own has a microchip and is connected to the internet, it is reporting your data to someone. But then again, I have nothing to hide

The Meltdown and Spectre 'flaws', are likely put into Intel and ARM processors, at the behest of the US Government

I think the problem is that the NSA hasn't figured out how to hack Chinese phones. Just like they couldn't Blackberry and companies forbid its workers to own one

The point isn't whether you have anything to hide. Do you really trust your government enough to have this level of capabilities over your life?

• Upvote 1

The Chinese cannot do squat to me; the FBI/DOJ can harass and/or arrest me.

15 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Top officials from major U.S. intelligence agencies including the CIA, the FBI, and the National Security Agency (NSA) have suggested people should not use devices made by Chinese manufacturers Huawei or ZTE. The agency chiefs said they had deep concerns, over potential security risks claimed to come from using "telecoms devices made by companies beholden to foreign governments.” 

how about Apple, Made in China

Don't forget Chinese routers and switches either. And drones, TV's  and video cameras. 

18 minutes ago, TraderTate said:

The point isn't whether you have anything to hide. Do you really trust your government enough to have this level of capabilities over your life?

I don't trust my government enough but I also respect the privacy of others and expect the same for mine without anyone spying on me. 

History continues. We have been warned about harmfulness of Chinese products for years. Chinese toy, Chinese cosmetic, Chinese makeup, ... Now it's Chinese phone. 

2 hours ago, TraderTate said:

It certainly isn't about "having nothing to hide". It is about the wisdom of having a government that has the ability to infringe upon your privacy. It is dangerous to allow the government--any government--that kind of power. As Americans, we have the constitutionally given right to overthrow our government. How can we do that when we give the government the right to follow our every move? Our location, our personal conversations? Our internet history? This is dangerous territory. We had to overthrow our government once before--we must not put ourselves in a position where this is no longer possible.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." --Declaration of Independence