1 hour ago, Hotone said:

I was working for a unit of Schlumberger when 911 happened.  Some of my colleagues told me that Schlumberger was responsible for the slant drilling that took Iraqi oil from across the Kuwait border.  Saddam was already aggrieved that he bore the human and financial costs for fighting the Persians.  He was incensed that a fellow Arab country didn't share the costs and even took his oil.

Oh, and he mistakenly thought he had the greenlight from the US to invade Kuwait.  This turned out to be false unlike the greenlight he had for the starting the Iran war, and using poison gas.

Guys, what is with the ‘slant drilling’ bullshit? If you work in the oilfield then you know that ‘slant drilling’ is an inaccurate term. Do they erect the derrick or raise the mast at an angle?

It is ‘directional drilling’, and that is not initiated at the surface.

You guys know this!!!

• Great Response! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Guys, what is with the ‘slant drilling’ bullshit? If you work in the oilfield then you know that ‘slant drilling’ is an inaccurate term. Do they erect the derrick or raise the mast at an angle?

You guys know this!!!

CNOC is a good example..... just kidding honestly , James bad Very bad....

• Haha 1

One of Britain’s first and probably only offshore “Slant” Drilling Rigs the Bay Driller in Morcambe Bay

2E8E77F3-D461-4535-8EDF-21D6F5002D1C.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

You guys know this!!!

Slant is indeed a bullshit term when used in the above context unless the pay dirt is a hundred meters below you on land and hopefully you don’t need to frack? 45 Degree Slant rigs are very rare and are a bitch to work rotary tables and tongues etc are all at 45 degrees, not good at all....

2 minutes ago, James Regan said:

Slant is indeed a bullshit term when used in the above context unless the pay dirt is a hundred meters below you on land and hopefully you don’t need to frack? 45 Degree Slant rigs are very rare and are a bitch to work rotary tables and tongues etc are all at 45 degrees, not good at all....

If your pay zone is 100m below you....move the damn rig!

21 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

If your pay zone is 100m below you....move the damn rig!

Going back to directionally drilling out oil wells from Kuwait to Iraq Rumalia south was naturally supplying the Ratqa field in Kuwait its the same play, KOC drilled eight (8) wells in the 80s , if you look at the size of the field and boundaries you would really have to argue the fact that this was the catalyst for invading Kuwait, unless gravity was at work or lack of! Kuwait was for the taking or so it seemed to SH plain and simple dictatorship and the land grab, we’ve seen this before somewhere in Europe!

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

You guys know this!!!

Mea culpa, if I got the term wrong.  I was not in oilfield services.  But the conversation did happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James Regan said:

One of Britain’s first and probably only offshore “Slant” Drilling Rigs the Bay Driller in Morcambe Bay

2E8E77F3-D461-4535-8EDF-21D6F5002D1C.jpeg

What year was this photo taken?

(edited)

28 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

What year was this photo taken?

Must have been the 80s as my Dad was OIM of the Morcambe Flame that Bay Driller was tendered to! If my memory is right it was British Gas Company?

https://www.onepetro.org/conference-paper/SPE-16151-MS

Edited by James Regan
Memory fading too much oil field in my life from Birth
  • Like 1

Hmmm....even in the 80’s they were drilling directionally with UBHO’s and bent subs (granted, in its infancy). I wonder what criteria called for a slanted rig? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Hmmm....even in the 80’s they were drilling directionally with UBHO’s and bent subs (granted, in its infancy). I wonder what criteria called for a slanted rig? 

The deviation which can be reasonably expected using accepted drilling techniques is 2000 ft. at reservoir top and if a conventional vertical drilling rig were used each platform could only cover a circle of approximately 4000 ft. diameter. The equivalent reach using a drilling rig slanted at 30 degrees is 3500 ft. allowing coverage of a circle of 7000 ft. diameter from a single platform.

By opting for slant drilling, the Stage I development required only 3 drilling platforms as opposed to the 7 required if vertical drilling rigs were to be used.

Truly bizarre as even here we directionally drilled just on extreme occasion. I see in my minds eye the 3 rigs as opposed to 7 but I wonder if the costs were. Thanks for the link @James Regan

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, James Regan said:

@Hotone @Douglas Buckland @Old-Ruffneck Maybe we should cut a little slack this link is obviously very misleading??🤔🤔🤔

http://www.actforlibraries.org/what-is-slant-drilling-5/

I know nothing about oil drilling.  All I did was recount an old conversion with some colleagues regarding the Kuwait invasion.  

• Great Response! 1

And the blowback begins. Let's hope tit-for-tat doesn't bloom.

Seal with white background

Security Alert – U.S. Mission Saudi Arabia, January 5, 2020

Location  Heightened Risk of Missile and Drone attacks 

Event:  The Mission advises the American community in Saudi Arabia of the heightened risk of missile and drone attacks.  In the past, regional actors hostile to Saudi Arabia have conducted missile and drone attacks against both civilian and military targets inside the Kingdom.  U.S. citizens living and working near military bases and oil and gas facilities and other critical civilian infrastructure, particularly in the Eastern Province and areas near the border with Yemen, are at heightened risk of attack.  Saudi Arabia has a system of civil defense sirens (https://www.998.gov.sa/English/CivilProtection/Pages/whistle_alarm.aspx), but there may be no advance warning of a missile or drone attack.  The Mission urges American citizens in the Kingdom to immediately review precautions to take in the event of an attack.    

Actions to Take:

• If you hear a loud explosion or if sirens are activated, immediately seek cover.
  • If in a home or a building, go to the lowest level of the structure with the fewest exterior walls, windows, and openings; close any doors and sit near an interior wall, away from any windows or openings.
  • If you are outdoors, immediately seek cover in a hardened structure; if that is not possible, lie down and cover your head with your hands.
  • Be aware that even if the incoming missile or drone is intercepted, falling debris represents a significant risk.
  • After the attack, stay away from any debris, and monitor major news outlets for official guidance.

Assistance:

U.S. Embassy Riyadh

Abdullah Ibn Hudhafah As Sahmi Street Roundabout no. 9, Diplomatic Quarter Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Telephone: (966) (11) 488-3800

Emergency Telephone: (966) (11) 488-3800

Fax: (966) (11) 488-7670

RiyadhACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General Jeddah

Al Safa Street, Al Muhammadiyah District, near the new American School building.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Phone: (966) (12) 220-5000

Emergency Telephone: (966) (12) 220-5000 

Fax: (966) (12) 220-5093

JeddahACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General Dhahran

Between KFUPM and King Abdulaziz Airbase, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia

Telephone:  (966) (13) 330-3200

Emergency Telephone:  (966) (13) 330-3200

Fax:  (966) (13) 330-6816

DhahranACS@state.gov

On 1/4/2020 at 6:54 PM, Tom Kirkman said:

2014 article in New York Post

The shadowy Iranian spy chief who helped plan Benghazi

2-photosbenghazi.thumb.jpg.5c494ca8b90329b9e5444c91178e83a3.jpg

According to the book "Dark Forces," Major Gen. Qassem Suleymani (right) was the powerful figure behind the 2012 attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi, Libya (left).EPA/Ay-Collection/Rex USA

16 hours ago, frankfurter said:

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/01/03/after-mossad-targeted-soleimani-trump-pulled-the-trigger/

"After Mossad Targeted Soleimani, Trump Pulled the Trigger" 

image.png.63d318f0d8c9b176c2365d85e6ed0854.png

Guess, this formate produces the generations we are having today.........

Judging from his eyes, Suleiman might not be a bad person. If he did what was accused, was there a question raised as in "Why" had it been done? O.o

• Great Response! 1

10 hours ago, James Regan said:

Unless your thinking is that KSA runs state supported terrorism such as Iran for example then KSA would have been a legitimate target as @remake it is expressing an opinion on, maybe he’s right lots of Saudis there but should we judge a a whole nation by a bad batch of eggs? Plus why would the US bomb the most strategic partner in the region that would only start conspiracy theories 🤔🤔

The Saudis actually do sponsor lots of radical Sunni islamic groups operating in Shia dominated (Iranian controlled) areas in Syria and Iraq. 

There is something remake it is not considering, that Saudi has a large number of estranged folks who want to take down the monarchy and among them was Bin Laden. They blame the US and the West in general for installing and maintaining the monarchy in power. That is why the US and EU countries were the targets. As they want the West out of the Gulf so they can topple the various governments of the time including the Saudis. I am sure that now that Russia has intervened with bombings in Syria there is a bunch of disgruntled Syrian born terrorists and jihadist friends making their way to Moscow with nefarious plans. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, 0R0 said:

There is something remake it is not considering, that Saudi has a large number of estranged folks who want to take down the monarchy and among them was Bin Laden.

Bin Laden's fight was consistently against those who attacked the Muslim world so please point to where the above notion has traction.

1 minute ago, remake it said:

Bin Laden's fight was consistently against those who attacked the Muslim world so please point to where the above notion has traction.

Ideological statements vs. motivation. Not the same thing.

Just now, 0R0 said:

Ideological statements vs. motivation. Not the same thing.

Al-Quada ideology was supportive of Saudi Arabia's existence to the extent its madrassas provided most of the jihadists for 911, and there is no evidence that Bin Laden was ever motivated to act against any of the KSA's assets unless they were tainted by the US or its allies.

5 hours ago, Hotone said:

I know nothing about oil drilling.  All I did was recount an old conversion with some colleagues regarding the Kuwait invasion.  

As we all do, more good looking women are dated on rigs and holes drilled in bars all over the world and other places too. 👍🏻

• Haha 1

Ah yes, endless wars in the Middle East, exactly what Trump campaigned on.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

Enter your comments about Mr Obama here gentlemen, and quite possibly your red arrows.

/sarc

Edited by Papillon
  • Great Response! 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Zhong Lu said:

Ah yes, endless wars in the Middle East, exactly what Trump campaigned on.

And now if he doesn't respond he'll just look weak. With his high ego and all.