(edited)

This forum is especially interesting for me cause I am interested in energy industry.

Edited by Marcin2
typo
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Papillon said:

Is this the infamous phase two?

Wouldn’t know, I never proposed phase one!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marcin2 said:

I was never writing at any forum before and it is a little bit addictive. It is a pity forum has only about 10 regular writers commenting about every topic plus 10 others with only high quality comments about their area of experience in energy industry.

And most of the readers are commenters.

I think it is also not good most of writers are exceptionalism infected Americans 😀 it pirs off people from this site

As one of those presumably labelled as an exceptionalism infected American, I would like to remind others that all the moderators here encourage dissent and differing opinions.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Marcin2 said:

I was never writing at any forum before and it is a little bit addictive. It is a pity forum has only about 10 regular writers commenting about every topic plus 10 others with only high quality comments about their area of experience in energy industry.

And most of the readers are commenters.

I think it is also not good most of writers are exceptionalism infected Americans 😀 it pirs off people from this site

Yep, those Yanks are good at ‘pirsing’ people off...

• Haha 1

(edited)

On 1/12/2020 at 1:25 PM, Douglas Buckland said:

Wouldn’t know, I never proposed phase one!

I thought you were finishing off his grand plan perhaps sir?

On 1/12/2020 at 1:12 PM, Douglas Buckland said:

I won’t be holding my breath for this technological feat.

I wouldn't either sir, but in fairness we have been rather busy building our 'force' of around five users, which you personally stated was the forum becoming 'anti-USA'. This speaks volumes to me. As I write this I note that Marcin has written something similar.

I believe some wish for us all to state that America is a wonderland but fear these users may be waiting a while to hear that on an international forum. 

A varying view here, from my personal experience, has now gone from accusations of handler nonsense, to insults of age, username, use of language and so on, and now to a point of users wishing to block as they do not appreciate their racist ignorance and hypocrisies being laid out for all to see (in the case of Mr van Eck). So if you wish me to block you, I will do this now sir, but you will still see my posts (will he not Tom Kirkman?). I assume I will just not see his and this does not solve the issue at all? 

With respect, Papillon. 

Edited by Papillon

(edited)

On 1/12/2020 at 2:30 AM, Jan van Eck said:

@Marcin2, I received a notification that you have put a Red Arrow on my post to Papillon. I do not permit you to do that.  You are now joining papillon as a non-person, and will be blocked by me from this point forward.  No need to respond;  I will not see it in any event. I am sorry it has come to this, but there are limits to what I will put up with. 

Jan, this is just a forum to exchange ideas, and judge them, with respect to others.

Edited by Marcin2
typo
  • Great Response! 3

(edited)

Tom , Thank you for bringing this information.

Edited by Marcin2
typo

(edited)

On 1/12/2020 at 2:29 PM, Tom Kirkman said:

As one of those presumably labelled as an exceptionalism infected American, I would like to remind others that all the moderators here encourage dissent and differing opinions.  

Thank you

Edited by Marcin2
typo
  • Great Response! 3

46 minutes ago, Marcin2 said:

But I am about sth different, about the ability to discuss the issues from other points of view, to understand other points of view, not only yours, not only American ones.

Yes dissent and opinions are easy but being able to show why another point of view is valid requires a degree of knowledge and understanding of context and the binary mindset cannot fathom this nor does it appear to even try in most of the threads which continue to degenerate in name calling et cetera.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2020 at 9:35 PM, Douglas Buckland said:

You can bring a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.

Not true. Forcing horses to drink a strong baking soda solution before races used to be common. 

https://thehorse.com/129387/milkshaking/

• Haha 1

(edited)

On 1/11/2020 at 11:40 AM, Douglas Buckland said:

16EE6511-A587-41CC-868D-5D7812B671CB.jpeg

More of your wonderful use of language sir. It is little wonder you consider some to be 'too polite', and as I suspected you maybe simply wish others to be dragged to your level? 

I am sure you would have found this joke amusing if nearly two hundred Americans were on board, and no one survived, and others had made a joke about it? It appears the deaths of the innocent is amusing here as long as no Americans were involved? 

Astounding hypocrisy, as always. Maybe one day others will notice this.

@Otis11  Will you grace this post with a comment along the lines of ''how can somebody make a joke about this?'' or is that only reserved for tragedies on American soil? 

Edited by Papillon

On 1/11/2020 at 6:08 AM, Douglas Buckland said:

Good point!

The military spending is a bit different as it actually creates jobs. I know that sounds odd, but think about it. Building a nuke carrier or sub keeps a shipyard open for years as well as employs all the tradesmen required for the build. It also keeps two crews of sailors employed.

The knock-on effect is that all these tradesmen and sailors require housing, food, transportation, etc... If you multiply the expenditure by the number of times each dollar changes hands, this is a Godsend to the community.

The same rationale applies to a plant that builds say aircraft or tanks. The benefit to the community, whether the tanks ever fire a round, the aircraft ever fly or the ship ever sails is astronomical and has nothing to do with military action.

That said, as the events of the past week show, there are many in the world that would love to do us harm. A overwhelmingly strong military, in both equipment and well trained soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines is necessary for our foreign policies as well as, perhaps, our survival. Keep in mind that this ‘defense budget’ also keeps our military personnel employed.

Lastly, history has shown us that weakening our military after WW1, WW2 and the Korean War had seriously negative effects when the next conflict began...and there has always been a ‘next’.

Just my opinion, nothing else...

No doubt military spending stimulates the economy, but it doesn't create value (unless your factories are selling weapons to other nations). Some areas obviously benefit enormously but it still has to be paid for... eventually, maybe.

Ever been to Tucson?  It shocked me to see all the fields of mothballed planes.  Thousands of planes just parked everywhere. Clearly some of that wasn't needed when built.

11 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Current status.  Trump breaking records again.  More "likes" for the 2 Persian tweets than the English tweets.  Both Persian tweets broke 200k "likes"  and still climbing.   

Slightly off topic, but I hate it when people confuse popularity with quality or truth.

Total garbage can be very popular.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

Total garbage can be very popular.

Indeed sir. A brief perusal of some users' posts here proves that. 

Nice slide you have there.  Would be a shame if I ignore it.

Okey dokey, more Persian "unpopular opinions" from Trump.  Broke 100k "likes" in 6 hours.

886283948_TrumpPersianewtweet.png.a3bc2ffef814a7aeb1a22212e27c61ff.png

And the earler Persian tweets have broken 200k and 300k likes.  Or broke 400k and 500k likes each if you add in the English likes.

1175943014_TrumpPersiaTweets300k.png.5c3382b0f00c446ec2ea9fb42cd74f16.png

• Like 1

(edited)

It is a sorry state of affairs in this day and age when we judge the 'likes' and 'retweets' on a social media site as a basis for anything at all quite frankly. I would have assumed the majority of these users are children, and if anything like my grandchildren, will 'like' comments and posts all day long on Facebook and Instagram for example. 

That said, if we are going to judge Twitter as some form of wisdom or proof of anything, I thought I would look online for some of the most popular tweets and 'retweets' of all time. 

This list of most-retweeted tweets contains the top 30 tweets with the most retweets ... As of October 2019, the top tweet has over 4.3 million retweets, which was tweeted by Yusaku Maezawa. Currently five accounts have more than one of the most-retweeted tweets in the top 30: Yusaku Maezawa, Jimmy Donaldson, and El Rubius have two; Barack Obama and BTS have three.

You will note the name Barack Obama, but unlike Mr Trump, his tweets and numbers will presumably not be valid or praised?  Also, I had no idea who 'BTS' was. Let me share with who you they are and their undoubted wisdom.

‘LG Q7 BTS 에디션’ 예약 판매 시작 (42773472410) (cropped).jpg

BTS (Korean방탄소년단; RRBangtan Sonyeondan), also known as the Bangtan Boys, is a seven-member South Korean boy band formed in Seoul in 2013. The septet co-writes and produces much of their output. Originally a hip hop group, their musical style has evolved to include a wide range of genres.

When I delved further and looked into the most liked tweets of all time, I saw something rather interesting.

Most-liked tweets

The following table lists the top 50 most-liked tweets on Twitter, the account that tweeted it, the total rounded to the nearest ten thousand, and the date it was originally tweeted. The notes include the details surrounding the tweet.

Rank Tweet Posted by Likes
(millions)
Date tweeted Notes
1. "No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion..." pic.twitter.com/InZ58zkoAm[1] Barack Obama
@BarackObama
4.48 August 12, 2017 [upper-alpha 1]
2. broken.
from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words.
[3]
Ariana Grande
@ArianaGrande
2.56 May 22, 2017 [upper-alpha 2]
3. "We are married!!! I'm the happiest I can be ❤️ I'm so lucky to share my life with this amazing woman." https://twitter.com/pewdiepie/status/1163778709268176896 PewDiePie

@pewdiepie

2.34 August 20, 2019  
4. If only Bradley's arm was longer. Best photo ever. #oscars pic.twitter.com/C9U5NOtGap[5] Ellen DeGeneres
@TheEllenShow
2.33 March 2, 2014 [upper-alpha 3]
5. John McCain is an American hero & one of the bravest fighters I've ever known. Cancer doesn't know what it's up against. Give it hell, John.

https://twitter.com/barackobama/status/887836712822558720?lang=bg

Barack Obama

@BarackObama

2 July 19,

6. ME: Joe, about halfway through the speech, I’m gonna wish you a happy birth--
BIDEN: IT’S MY BIRTHDAY!
ME: Joe.

Happy birthday to @JoeBiden, my brother and the best vice president anybody could have. pic.twitter.com/sKbXjNiEjH
[7]
Barack Obama

@BarackObama

1.96 November 20, 2017 [upper-alpha 4]
7. #InMyFeelingsChallenge #HopeOnTheStreet pic.twitter.com/Bm8bxtKsFq[8] BTS
@BTS_twt
1.85 July 23, 2018 [upper-alpha 5]
8. Hi everybody! Back to the original handle. Is this thing still on? Michelle and I are off on a quick vacation, then we'll get back to work.[9] Barack Obama
@BarackObama
1.80 January 20, 2017 [upper-alpha 6]
9. Dinner date didn’t go as planned pic.twitter.com/BwBIOBzY7Z[11] conner hallmark
@connerhallmark
1.80 November 27, 2018 [upper-alpha 7]
10. Thank you for everything. My last ask is the same as my first. I'm asking you to believe—not in my ability to create change, but in yours.[12] Barack Obama
@POTUS44
1.79 January 10, 2017 [upper-alpha 8]
11. 그리고 지민씨도 피해갈 수 없습니다. pic.twitter.com/RDTNynQm5y[14] BTS
@BTS_twt
1.75 January 30, 2019  
12. 🥓🥬🍚맛있는 거 많이 그시고 즐거운 설 보내세요 pic.twitter.com/nzD2ZBl8F0[15] 1.68 February 3, 2019  
13. 💜☺️🧐pic.twitter.com/qjxS8B2Ab1[16] 1.67 January 13, 2019  
14. 내 동생 우리 태형이 생일 축하행 💕❤️#홉필름 #HAPPYVDAY pic.twitter.com/HC3ZvKz8BM[17] 1.66 December 29, 2018  
15. 🤫🤭pic.twitter.com/xwM80rOqfF[18] 1.65 February 11, 2019  
16. Michelle & I are praying for the victims in Las Vegas. Our thoughts are with their families & everyone enduring another senseless tragedy.[19] Barack Obama
@BarackObama
1.65 October 2, 2017 [upper-alpha 9]
17. 설날 잘 보내세요 pic.twitter.com/Shxqjc57PO[20] BTS
@BTS_twt
1.64 February 1, 2019  
18. 잊지못할 선물 주셔서 감댜~~🥔hamda pic.twitter.com/2hwQS4dfph[21] 1.64 February 8, 2019  
19. 우리 태형이 생일 많이 축하해

올해도 고생했어

엽사 올리고 싶은데

올리면 좀 ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ 너가 다시는 나 안볼 것 같아서 ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

형이 많이 사랑해 ❤️🎂

#JIMIN

#태태생일ㅊㅋ pic.twitter.com/11R49z6zwM[22]

1.64 December 29, 2018  
20. ✈️✈️Let’s Go!! Grammy✈️✈️ pic.twitter.com/yYLEHaeOEy[23] 1.63 February 8, 2019  
21. 태형씨 생일축하해요 #JK #프리스타일장인 #명품댄서 #태태생일일축하 pic.twitter.com/5yTuT6ik2K[24] 1.63 December 29, 2018  
22. 👋pic.twitter.com/d8QrPCqf3S[25] 1.63 January 11, 2019  
23. 🥴pic.twitter.com/zWdPrJ6spz[26] 1.62 March 3, 2019  
24. ☺️👍💜

#JIMIN #V #풍경 pic.twitter.com/2CCaAsE1nl[27]

1.61 January 30, 2019  
25. Young people have helped lead all our great movements. How inspiring to see it again in so many smart, fearless students standing up for their right to be safe; marching and organizing to remake the world as it should be. We've been waiting for you. And we've got your backs.[28] Barack Obama
@BarackObama
1.61 February 22, 2018 [upper-alpha 10]
26. 태형 : 근데 언제까지 찍어?

#JIMIN

#😁pic.twitter.com/CCRL8clmer[29]

BTS
@BTS_twt
1.60 February 15, 2018  
27. It's been the honor of my life to serve you. You made me a better leader and a better man.[30] Barack Obama
@POTUS44
1.59 January 20, 2017 [upper-alpha 11]
28. 마지막에 혼동이와서 음이 나갔어요...

#이해좀 #이런엔딩 😭pic.twitter.com/HoqCAYGClm[32]

BTS
@BTS_twt
1.59 December 19, 2018  
29. 나도 RM이 정말 좋아요 🥴pic.twitter.com/Vg62qEvc1U[33] 1.59 March 14, 2019  
30. 감댜합니당 pic.twitter.com/mx9r8rPaVb[34] 1.58 January 6, 2019
Edited by Papillon
I notice a certain name a few times. Is this still 'great stuff ' ?
  • Upvote 2

Still trying to slide the topic, apparently.

Are you upset with what Trump said?

To the Iranian government:

"Do not kill your protesters"

"Turn your internet back on, and let reporters roam free"

To the Iranian people:

"I've stood with you since the beginning of my Presidency"

"My administration will continue to stand with you"

Yep, pretty horrible, evil thoughts there.  I can't fathom why on earth that those tweets by Trump would be so popular with Iranians.  Real head scratcher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Why would I be upset with what he said sir? I am making the point that Twitter is not wisdom or indicative of much beyond children's views for the majority of the time.

If it is, then presumably you will soon be praising the numbers and popularity surrounding Mr Obama's tweets, as the comparisons are a hobby to some? Or perhaps a Korean boy band?

I am not sliding the topic if the topic is Twitter numbers and popularity at all sir. You are the one bringing up records with regard to 'Persian tweets', I am merely showing you some other 'records' that are about Mr Obama and so presumably we can praise them too? 

ok, no issue

• Like 1

(edited)

That is an interesting idea.

Edited by Marcin2
typo
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

@Papillon you are becoming frustrated, think that it is just a forum to exchange ideas and everybody has right to write them and defend them in a way that suits them.

Edited by Marcin2
typo
  • Like 2

(edited)

1 hour ago, Marcin2 said:

the wall of US Trump lovers here with this hive like common mindset.

I can't say I had noticed.     /sarc

1 hour ago, Marcin2 said:

US users at this site, normal, nice people with US exceptionalism twist.

It depends how you define 'normal' sir.    /sarc

Edited by Papillon

Ok let’s step away from polarised positions for a moment.

do I think Trump is fantastic in everything he does or says? NO.

however with what has happened in Iran/Iraq I think he has done very well in the actions and subsequent comments following the missile attacks.

there has been no civilian casualties from any US actions. There has been no escalation where previous administrations would most likely have troops on the ground now. No US military have lost their lives. Iranian people are angry with their own administration for the accidental shooting down of a civilian plane.

Criticise Trump all you like but I think he has come out of this with a lot of credit, so far.

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

(edited)

An interesting observation

Edited by Marcin2
typo
  • Like 2