Cant find current marked prices on hydrogen   

• Rolling Eye 1

Don't think its traded at the moment. There has been renewed interest in using the gas as a store of energy but at the moment if someone wants to use hydrogen they would make it themselves or contract another body to make it for a contract price - this is over the counter trading which means no active market to set prices.. 

Hydrogen is used in some industrial areas. Check for a refinery or other type of petrochem close by and phone and ask where they get their hydrogen. If they make it themselves, tell them you want to buy some.

Thanks everybody  but I am looking for a price guide line     100% green hydrogen  

Hard to find   🤗

This is the only indication I can find 

(edited)

On 1/29/2020 at 4:51 PM, Hpsg said:

Thanks everybody  but I am looking for a price guide line     100% green hydrogen  

Hard to find   🤗

I have exactly what you need.

Your big, practical use industrial cells will be around 80% efficient. 

At 100% efficiency, the power required to produce one ton of H2 will go as such:

1 metric ton into moles of H2 = 2,000,000. g / (1.00794 x 2)

= 992122.54 mol H2 x 292 kJ/mol = 289699.78 MJ

Divide this by 3600 seconds to get a measurement in MWh. We get 80.47 MWh. Now multiply by 1.2 to account for energy loss in your cell.

Final answer is 96.57 MWh for one metric ton of H2 gas. Multiply this by whatever power rate is available. You'll be very disappointed. 

Edited by KeyboardWarrior

1 minute ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

I have exactly what you need.

Your big, practical use industrial cells will be around 80% efficient. 

At 100% efficiency, the power required to produce one ton of H2 will go as such:

1 metric ton into moles of H2 = 2,000,000. g / (1.00794 x 2)

992122.54 mol H2 x -292 kJ/mol = 289699.78 MJ

Divide this by 3600 seconds to get a measurement in MWh. We get 80.47 MWh. Now multiply by 1.2 to account for energy loss in your cell.

Final answer is 96.57 MWh for one metric ton of H2 gas. Multiply this by whatever power rate is available. You'll be very disappointed. 

However, is hydrogen the only product of that reaction? ;)

You can have multiple value streams (oxygen, partially oxidized methane / synthesis gas, etc. ) depending on the method used.

• Like 1

(edited)

1 minute ago, Enthalpic said:

However, is hydrogen the only product of that reaction? ;)

You can have multiple value streams (oxygen, partially oxidized methane / synthesis gas, etc. ) depending on the method used.

I made a bunch of edits to make that nicer looking. Oxygen is your only other useful product. It doesn't justify the cost. Other methods that produce useful compounds simply add to the energy cost, but few end products will pay you back. 

Edited by KeyboardWarrior
  • Upvote 1

I'm writing a better response here. I tend to type a response too quickly, then repeatedly make edits until I'm satisfied. Very bad habit.

@Enthalpic Your point is perfectly valid. However, none of these methods create an end product that justifies current electric rates, unless you're generating your own power from gas. In that case, you might as well use the water gas shift for hydrogen production. 

• Upvote 1

(edited)

6 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

Oxygen is your only other useful product. It doesn't justify the cost. Other methods that produce useful compounds simply add to the energy cost, but few end products will pay you back. 

Probably correct.  This is why chemical companies tie various plants together so they work synergistically (waste heat or products from one process adds value to another).

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Enthalpic said:

synergistically

Probably correct.  This is why chemical companies tie various plants together so they work synergistically (waste heat or products from one process adds value to another).

I don't believe that electric costs will be too high forever. I think we just need to wait another decade or two. 

• Upvote 1