Tom Kirkman

Don't sneeze. Coronavirus is a threat to oil markets and global economies

Coronavirus outbreak may disrupt Apple's iPhone production ramp-up plans

The mass production might be delayed due to the virus outbreak, the Nikkei reported.

$AAPL -2.93% @ $308.88

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-iphone/coronavirus-outbreak-may-disrupt-apples-iphone-production-ramp-up-plans-nikkei-idUSKBN1ZR0J6?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews

We are overly dependent on China.
Another aspect of the unbridled globalization that will affect us for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

US, Japan, and Britain are urgently exploring options to for its nationals to leave the Chinese city of Wuhan,

due to the coronavirus outbreak, and are finalizing the details.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 4:38 AM, Tom Kirkman said:

Just before Chinese New Year on the 25th, it looks like the Coronavirus emanating from China is going to cause multi-form, intertwined havoc, globally. 

Health, markets, energy demand, travel plans, economy, all going to get whacked.  Starting in China already.  How hard the whacks will be remain to be seen, but whacks are already being dished out.

Lets see how far the health problems spread globally by next week, along with a resultant knockdown on all sorts of other economic and energy factors.

Coronavirus is a threat to oil markets

<...>

On 1/24/2020 at 9:14 AM, wrs said:

This is such utter bullshit.  So we aren't going to have a few flghts in and out of Wuhan a pimple on the butt of the world and it's going to cause a dent in worldwide demand?  What kind of idiots write this tripe?  <...>

On 1/24/2020 at 11:12 AM, Anthony Okrongly said:

Utter Claptrap Clickbait BS.  Have you heard of The Flu?  Every year 300,000 to 600,000 DIE, dead, tits-up from the flu. About 60,000 - 80,000 people died in the U.S. last year from the Flu. A billion people at least get the flu each year. Yet people keep flying. 

It's hilarious to me how much people freak out when one of these novel viruses comes out. The Ebola scare was the best. SARS was fun as well.  <...>

From Reuters:

Trump offers China 'any help' as virus toll grows, markets reel

* Despite trade tensions, U.S. offers medical assistance

* Virus originating in Wuhan city infects more than 2,800 people

* Some cases have spread abroad, from U.S. to Japan

* Stocks, oil and Chinese yuan currency hit by virus fallout

* Provincial officials take heat on China's social media

SHANGHAI, Jan 27 (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump offered China any help needed on Monday to control a coronavirus outbreak that has killed 81 people, stranded tens of millions during the biggest holiday of the year and rattled global markets.

With provincial authorities taking increasing flak from the public over their initial response, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang visited central Wuhan city, the epicentre of the outbreak, to encourage medical workers and promise reinforcements.

Global stocks fell, oil prices hit three-month lows, and China's yuan dipped to its weakest in 2020 as investors fretted about the impact on the world's second-biggest economy from travel bans and extended Lunar New Year holidays.  ...

• Like 2
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, frankfurter said:

Hysteria. 

Collective hysteria or not, the economic consequences begin to appear.
I am not talking about Stock Market, Indices, etc, but about the many companies that have become closely linked with China.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Confirmed cases 4600, Deaths 107, cures 62. 

Looks like the test kits finally arrived at Wuhan. 

I like how Xi, who has sidelined Premier Li for a decade, is letting him wear this one. Obviously expects this competition to end with Li failing. 

4000 medical staff have already been brought into Hubei, mostly in Wuhan. Target is 10000 by the end of the week. 

The country is slowing rapidly as employers extend lunar new years into February..

50 mil under quarantine.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3047849/china-coronavirus-death-toll-climbs-106-confirmed-cases-surpass

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rob Kramer said:

Bible verse of the day. Leviticus 11.

29 “‘Of the animals that move along the ground, these are unclean for you: the weasel, the rat, any kind of great lizard, 30 the gecko, the monitor lizard, the wall lizard, the skink and the chameleon. 31 Of all those that move along the ground, these are unclean for you. Whoever touches them when they are dead will be unclean till evening. 32 When one of them dies and falls on something, that article, whatever its use, will be unclean, whether it is made of wood, cloth, hide or sackcloth. Put it in water; it will be unclean till evening, and then it will be clean. 33 If one of them falls into a clay pot, everything in it will be unclean, and you must break the pot. 34 Any food you are allowed to eat that has come into contact with water from any such pot is unclean, and any liquid that is drunk from such a pot is unclean. 35 Anything that one of their carcasses falls on becomes unclean; an oven or cooking pot must be broken up. They are unclean, and you are to regard them as unclean. 36 A spring, however, or a cistern for collecting water remains clean, but anyone who touches one of these carcasses is unclean. 37 If a carcass falls on any seeds that are to be planted, they remain clean.38 But if water has been put on the seed and a carcass falls on it, it is unclean for you.

39 “‘If an animal that you are allowed to eat dies, anyone who touches its carcass will be unclean till evening. 40 Anyone who eats some of its carcass must wash their clothes, and they will be unclean till evening. Anyone who picks up the carcass must wash their clothes, and they will be unclean till evening.

41 “‘Every creature that moves along the ground is to be regarded as unclean; it is not to be eaten. 42 You are not to eat any creature that moves along the ground, whether it moves on its belly or walks on all fours or on many feet; it is unclean. 43 Do not defile yourselves by any of these creatures. Do not make yourselves unclean by means of them or be made unclean by them. 44 I am the Lordyour God; consecrate yourselves and be holy,because I am holy. Do not make yourselves unclean by any creature that moves along the ground. 45 I am the Lord, who brought you up out of Egypt to be your God; therefore be holy, because I am holy.

46 “‘These are the regulations concerning animals, birds, every living thing that moves about in the water and every creature that moves along the ground. 47 You must distinguish between the unclean and the clean, between living creatures that may be eaten and those that may not be eaten.’”

Oh sh*t yeah forgot all about this no wonder we have a new strain of flu!

What were we all thinking? damnit!!!

C'mon Rob are you being serious???

I know you have strong religious beliefs but you'll be telling me next you've just seen the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse going past Walmart.

(edited)

14 hours ago, Wombat said:

James, can you tell me if Relenza or Tamiflu any use in fighting zoonotic viruses?

Wombat in all reality I have no clue and am not a virologist sorry if I came across as if I knew what I was talking about. Just trying to add some content regarding basics to the flu synonyms and level codes. I would be pompous if I replied as if I knew anything about the words Relenza, Tamiflu and OMG Zoonotic NFI👍🏻

Edited by James Regan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob Plant said:

Oh sh*t yeah forgot all about this no wonder we have a new strain of flu!

What were we all thinking? damnit!!!

C'mon Rob are you being serious???

I know you have strong religious beliefs but you'll be telling me next you've just seen the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse going past Walmart.

I think the last line says it all . And that it's written 6k years ago . To be clear I dont follow the Jewish laws that were specifically made for hebrews (Jews) living under God's command in God's encampment of people as the law is fulfilled allowing Gentiles coming to God substitutionally via Jesus.

BUT answered this .... you dont find it's interesting or wise ? Consider it would have stopped the avian flu and whatever other ones. Seems like when the bible has good advice everyone is suddenly mad? 

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Rob Kramer said:

Consider it would have stopped the avian flu and whatever other ones. Seems like when the bible has good advice everyone is suddenly mad?

Really?

Good advice???

Rob we are talking about a viral mutation not what some wise old sage said 6 thousand years ago for a bedtime story

You quoted Leviticus saying this

“‘Of the animals that move along the ground, these are unclean for you: the weasel, the rat, any kind of great lizard,  the gecko, the monitor lizard, the wall lizard, the skink and the chameleon. 31 Of all those that move along the ground, these are unclean for you. Whoever touches them when they are dead will be unclean till evening. 32 When one of them dies and falls on something, that article, whatever its use, will be unclean, whether it is made of wood, cloth, hide or sackcloth. Put it in water; it will be unclean till evening, and then it will be clean"

Yep that's great advice! that will sort out the pesky viral flu mutation!

Just wait until the evening and it'll all be fine.

Dunno why the WHO hasn't thought about doing it before, dunno why were bothering even discussing it now as that seems to have sorted the whole problem out right there. Maybe send this Leviticus quote onto the WHO and they can change their policy on flu outbreaks/mutations

I'm flabbergasted!

• Great Response! 1

15 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Really?

Good advice???

Rob we are talking about a viral mutation not what some wise old sage said 6 thousand years ago for a bedtime story

“‘Of the animals that move along the ground, these are unclean for you: the weasel, the rat, any kind of great lizard,  the gecko, the monitor lizard, the wall lizard, the skink and the chameleon. 31 Of all those that move along the ground, these are unclean for you. Whoever touches them when they are dead will be unclean till evening. 32 When one of them dies and falls on something, that article, whatever its use, will be unclean, whether it is made of wood, cloth, hide or sackcloth. Put it in water; it will be unclean till evening, and then it will be clean"

Dunno why the WHO hasn't thought about doing it before, dunno why were bothering even discussing it now as that seems to have sorted the whole problem out right there. Maybe send this Leviticus quote onto the WHO and they can change their policy on flu outbreaks/mutations

I'm flabbergasted!

Sounds and is taking the same course as the US constitution during current impeachment events, suddenly these old manuscripts are almost “gospel” only the 2nd Amendment is relevant.....NOT!

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

I'm flabbergasted!

Just looked up this odd word and it’s origin came up with this, ummmm religion agsin

I concur with the reference to the Holy Spirit. gast, gust, ghast and ghost are surely pointing in the same windy direction as spirit or breath of life, which is also latent in inspire, respire, expire. We find "he gave up the ghost" in some versions of the Bible. We use ghost, ghostly and ghastly in the same context spiritual beings -- phantoms. As for flabber, surely flutter is a possible cognate for the shudder or intake of breath we do when startled or taken aback (again referencing wind). I'd like to hear from someone with German and possibly Scandinavian language ability, where wind and spirit seem as closely connected as they are in English.

I’m now Flabbergasted 😲 

21 minutes ago, James Regan said:

I’m now Flabbergasted 😲 

I get this James, but who knows

flabbergast (v.)

1772, flabbergasted, mentioned (with bored) in a magazine article that year as a new vogue word, of uncertain origin. Perhaps from some dialect (in 1823 flabbergast was noted as a Sussex word), perhaps ultimately an arbitrary formation alluding to flabby or flapper and aghast. "Like many other popular words expressing intensity of action, ... not separable into definite elements or traceable to a definite origin" [Century Dictionary]. Related: Flabbergasted; flabbergasting; flabbergastation.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Really?

Good advice???

I'm flabbergasted!

It would be saltwater, which would do the trick. The Jewish tradition is you purify with sea water or make salt water. Great broad spectrum antimicrobial. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 0R0 said:

Whoever touches them when they are dead will be unclean till evening. 

Ok thats a stretch, but what about the above?

just wait until the evening and your safe?

OK  I'll leave that one with you.

52 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Ok thats a stretch, but what about the above?

just wait until the evening and your safe?

OK  I'll leave that one with you.

Your way too upset about good advice. Yes rip anything out of context and give it zero thought and I can see how to ruin good advice. 

However given some thought you'd prefer dishes not to be washed ? And the local verses have running water mentioned (for context). Or that people handle dead reptile and then play with others raise kids and carry on the day as usual? Or the entire idea that a JEW would prefer to not be unclean and would therefor avoid the entire situation. 

I'm expecting the anger to be dialed up to 11 ... ya know since the verse is meant to save people from sickness and therefor merits dislike. 

• Great Response! 1

48 minutes ago, Rob Kramer said:

Your way too upset about good advice. Yes rip anything out of context and give it zero thought and I can see how to ruin good advice. 

However given some thought you'd prefer dishes not to be washed ? And the local verses have running water mentioned (for context). Or that people handle dead reptile and then play with others raise kids and carry on the day as usual? Or the entire idea that a JEW would prefer to not be unclean and would therefor avoid the entire situation. 

I'm expecting the anger to be dialed up to 11 ... ya know since the verse is meant to save people from sickness and therefor merits dislike. 

I’m not angry in the slightest Rob

you are entitled to your opinion it’s just I dont find your solution to stopping or preventing viral Illnesses as relevant in the modern era

the Bible  IMO is not an accurate or factual document as Day Trader pointed out in a different thread.

believe what you will, I will stick to science and go to hospital if I get ill, will you do the same or will you read the bible in church to solve your ailments?

(edited)

53 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

I’m not angry in the slightest Rob

you are entitled to your opinion it’s just I dont find your solution to stopping or preventing viral Illnesses as relevant in the modern era

the Bible  IMO is not an accurate or factual document as Day Trader pointed out in a different thread.

believe what you will, I will stick to science and go to hospital if I get ill, will you do the same or will you read the bible in church to solve your ailments?

I just saw "??? !!!" And assumed my bad. 

Lol the science is eat unclean meat and get sick, have unclean hands and contaminate things in daily duties spreads sickness, quarantine (in bible) sick people to stop spread of sickness ....seems your hospital is following the same science. If the bible is not accurate dont wash your hands, eat snake and walk into a qarentine zone and see what happens. Please dont because both my faith and science agrees you'll get sick. ... get what I'm saying there in agreement . I dont see verses about prayer here I see verses about staying clean. I dont know if that answers your question. I cant understand why you try and change what the words say. 

Edited by Rob Kramer
I agree to disagree. Were not here to argue I just posted something related to eating snake meat.
  • Like 1
  • Great Response! 1

I haven’t changed what they say, where?

maybe it’s me and there’s a double meaning I’m missing somewhere. However I have quoted Leviticus himself. He states touch the dead and you’ll be unclean until the evening (when I presume you’ll be ok again) or am I missing something?

yes separate the sick wash your hands etc all well and good but cmon it’s not going to stop the spread of flu in reality especially back then.

i appreciate where  you’re coming from and understand why and respect your belief. 
I’ll stick to science personally, having said that viral infections continue to stay ahead   Of medicine in many areas. More work with phage therapy needed IMO.

no offence earlier Rob, you just took me by surprise with that post earlier. I maybe take things too literally.

• Like 1

Well when a person is unclean they have to bathe and sit in quarantine outside the group of people. So not having modern soap they had water and time .... and sitting in the dirt likley rubbing hands on random objects in a desert region unable to afflict the healthy. I mean what else could they do? 

However I'm am curious to see the numbers of the current state of this if anyone has an update? Also I'm curious to see if this is a "bounce" in oil prices and if they continue to decline tm.  (Heres hoping the thread continues) 

• Upvote 1

confirmed cases doubling everyday? give you a penny and double every day it takes 30 days to hit 1 Billion pennies. A vaccine will take 1 year to develop. Worldwide flu deaths in 2018 was around 400,000. This virus can knock out millions. Good luck to those that travel to China

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, notsonice said:

confirmed cases doubling everyday? give you a penny and double every day it takes 30 days to hit 1 Billion pennies. A vaccine will take 1 year to develop. Worldwide flu deaths in 2018 was around 400,000. This virus can knock out millions. Good luck to those that travel to China

Within the next day or 2, it should become readily apparent if this infection rate will go into a "hockey stick" exponential rate of expansion.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Within the next day or 2, it should become readily apparent if this infection rate will go into a "hockey stick" exponential rate of expansion.

yep, this virus is a scary one. All flights/trains to and from China should be stopped immediately until new cases stop doubling everyday. The effect on the  world will be small compared to a full fledged pandemic.

• Like 1