Tom Kirkman

Don't sneeze. Coronavirus is a threat to oil markets and global economies

11 hours ago, frankfurter said:

You are on the ground in China, have conducted audits, to support your assertion?  I can say exactly the same about Flint mercury water, and hundreds of other cases.  Maybe we can stop the smear campaigns?

It's not a smear campaign to criticize something...

And I fully agree... the government of MI and Flint totally bungled that one. They had more than enough information it should have been stopped and fixed at multiple points. That's not a smear... their response and handling of the situation was verifiably awful!

9 hours ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

No, no, no. If this thing was here in the states, it'd spread like wildfire and believe me, there'd be an epidemic. Probably not as bad as China because we have fewer smokers. You likely had what I had: Respiratory Syncytial Virus. 

It's very common. And it has two unique properties that wipe you out: it suppresses your innate immune system. And it suppresses your accomodative immune system, which is to say you don't make antibodies against it very well. As a matter of fact, I had posted under another thread that this new virus was beginning to sound like the RSV when it first hit years ago. 

When RSV first hit back in the eighties, I coughed incessantly for three months. I'd stuck my finger with a needle and thought I had what was emerging back then. It especially hits very young children, people who are run down, and the elderly.  

So RSV has symptoms of a 'mild cold' sometimes causing pneumonia or hitting the elderly or very young harder...

The people I'm talking about are hardly in either category. Not going to get into my age, but I'd hardly say I'm old... my wife in her 20s (and a Latina ex-model... because I'm sure that's relevant for some reason... how do I put a huge, devilish grin???). Younger Cousin and Coworkers referenced vary from late 20s to late 40s. A few older in the 50+ range, but the majority of these people are nowhere near 'elderly'. So I wouldn't see how the RSV would hit this population so hard like this?

Am I missing something? (Because I tend to agree with you... but RSV doesn't quite fit unless I'm misunderstanding?)

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Otis11 said:

So RSV has symptoms of a 'mild cold' sometimes causing pneumonia or hitting the elderly or very young harder...

The people I'm talking about are hardly in either category. Not going to get into my age, but I'd hardly say I'm old... my wife in her 20s (and a Latina ex-model... because I'm sure that's relevant for some reason... how do I put a huge, devilish grin???). Younger Cousin and Coworkers referenced vary from late 20s to late 40s. A few older in the 50+ range, but the majority of these people are nowhere near 'elderly'. So I wouldn't see how the RSV would hit this population so hard like this?

Am I missing something? (Because I tend to agree with you... but RSV doesn't quite fit unless I'm misunderstanding?)

RSV does fit. I can't make a diagnosis long-distance but RSV is very, very common and it hits all ages--just rougher in people MY age because it suppresses the immune system. It not only suppresses your immune system when it infects you but it makes you slow to form antibodies against it. If you get Influenza A, for example, your immune system is activated, not suppressed. You form antibodies. RSV is a nasty little sucker mainly because it affects the alveolar cells in the lungs--which is a bad thing--and also because of this rather unique attribute of suppressing the immune system. Symptoms: ache a bit, low grade fever, lassitude (not much energy), dry and persistent cough that seems to never go away. 

I was merely trying to make the point that you didn't have coronavirus. That damn thing spreads like wildfire. If you'd had it, you would have infected twenty people on your way home. They each would have infected twenty people. We've have the same thing they've got in China only not so bad because we have fewer smokers. 

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

RSV does fit. I can't make a diagnosis long-distance but RSV is very, very common and it hits all ages--just rougher in people MY age because it suppresses the immune system. It not only suppresses your immune system when it infects you but it makes you slow to form antibodies against it. If you get Influenza A, for example, your immune system is activated, not suppressed. You form antibodies. RSV is a nasty little sucker mainly because it affects the alveolar cells in the lungs--which is a bad thing--and also because of this rather unique attribute of suppressing the immune system. Symptoms: ache a bit, low grade fever, lassitude (not much energy), dry and persistent cough that seems to never go away. 

I was merely trying to make the point that you didn't have coronavirus. That damn thing spreads like wildfire. If you'd had it, you would have infected twenty people on your way home. They each would have infected twenty people. We've have the same thing they've got in China only not so bad because we have fewer smokers. 

Appreciate the explanation Gerry! You're right, I had no fever and my wife's was a very low fever... still sounds worse than the other RSV links I'm reading online, but you're probably right. Even as bad as it was, and as much as the symptoms align - we're just not seeing the fatality rate I would have expected (that's the thing that really made me think it wasn't...)

So this really just is 'worst flu season ever'?

How are we not seeing more outbreaks around the world then? I simply struggle to believe the containment measures are sufficient currently... and I don't believe any country reacted fast enough to stop this from making it to our shores... why are other countries not being hit?

5 minutes ago, Otis11 said:

How are we not seeing more outbreaks around the world then? I simply struggle to believe the containment measures are sufficient currently... and I don't believe any country reacted fast enough to stop this from making it to our shores... why are other countries not being hit?

Containment of this rogue coronavirus has been mammoth in size--never before seen on earth. 50 million sequestered at home? That's just huge! Whole cruise ships on lockdown quarantine? Unbelievable. Bringing our people home and putting them in quarantine in army bases? Unheard of. 

We have no way of knowing that people in the US would be as hard hit as the Chinese without running a very dangerous experiment: let everyone travel, just wait and see. We do this with the Influenza virus . . . but we presume that everyone with a brain has been vaccinated. 

I disagree with you: I think this has been a marvelous containment effort on the part of the Chinese, who have been hit hard. And every other country has tried to prevent importation into it's portals. However, I still maintain that the Chinese should let in our CDC, and welcome France, Canada, every country willing to send people to figure this out as quickly as possible and save lives. 

And their unwillingness to do so merely makes me more suspicious that there's something we don't know, that they don't want us to know. And my saying that may be very unfair, but I'm a stand-up guy and say what's on my mind. 

• Upvote 3

(edited)

54 minutes ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

However, I still maintain that the Chinese should let in our CDC, and welcome France, Canada, every country willing to send people to figure this out as quickly as possible and save lives. 

China accepted the unbiased WHO.  There is nothing your CDC can or would do that China is not already doing.  Could the CDC help to build 2600 beds hospitals in two weeks?  Could it deploy over 100,000 medical staff?  Could it manufacture 1 million facial masks daily?  Or the 10 million needles daily?  Over 300,000 haz mat suits are needed daily.  

Besides, contrary to your hype and the media hype, I know a person in your CDC, and she is absolutely scared to death to visit China to lend a helping hand. You can believe she and hundreds of others are thanking China for not requesting involvement.  Like your cowardly presidents, the people at CDC who advocate sending their staff into an epicentre are not the ones who would go to the front lines themselves. 

Here is an encouraging fact:  while the total number of patients are rising, the RATE of newly infected patients is DECREASING every day for the past 7 days.  Who else in history could isolate about 60 million people?  We should be reaching the peak soon.  You claim to be a medical doctor, so perhaps you would know what all this means.

You people with your hype, conjectures, fear mongering, smears are simply vile.  Thousands of people are seriously ill, and all you can do is to stab them with daggers. 

Edited by frankfurter
  • Great Response! 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

Containment of this rogue coronavirus has been mammoth in size--never before seen on earth. 50 million sequestered at home? That's just huge! Whole cruise ships on lockdown quarantine? Unbelievable. Bringing our people home and putting them in quarantine in army bases? Unheard of. 

We have no way of knowing that people in the US would be as hard hit as the Chinese without running a very dangerous experiment: let everyone travel, just wait and see. We do this with the Influenza virus . . . but we presume that everyone with a brain has been vaccinated. 

I disagree with you: I think this has been a marvelous containment effort on the part of the Chinese, who have been hit hard. And every other country has tried to prevent importation into it's portals. However, I still maintain that the Chinese should let in our CDC, and welcome France, Canada, every country willing to send people to figure this out as quickly as possible and save lives. 

And their unwillingness to do so merely makes me more suspicious that there's something we don't know, that they don't want us to know. And my saying that may be very unfair, but I'm a stand-up guy and say what's on my mind. 

I agree on what you've written - once they realized (or at least admitted to themselves) this was an issue, they cracked down HARD (and pretty fast) to contain it... unfortunately it's been circulating since October/November  and they didnt realize until January... so 2 months with lots of travel of a disease that by all accounts spreads like wildfire... how were there not at least a few that came to the US or Europe for Christmas or New years before anyone was discussing the scope?

The containment measures have actually been fairly draconian AFTER Lunar new years... but it's the before that I cant believe it didnt get even a few cases abroad...

No?

And agreed on the CDC - seems like they're trying to hide something... but the virus is already out and availible for study, so only thing they can be hiding is the scope of the impact or just HOW draconian their measures are... (though potentially justified)

(edited)

8 hours ago, frankfurter said:

Could the CDC help to build 2600 beds hospitals in two weeks? 

You people with your hype, conjectures, fear mongering, smears are simply vile.  Thousands of people are seriously ill, and all you can do is to stab them with daggers. 

Yes, fully hermetically sealed tents are sitting in storage waiting to be put up in hours, not weeks.  Transportable anywhere in the world.

As for your end sentence, you are vile if you in any way think that is true and not just trying to save face for some dumb reason.  Get this.... people get sick.  Who knew

Get this: I live in USA, criticize the government, no one is stupid enough to claim I am daggering the USA ppl.

I travel to Kenya, Phillipines, Mexico, Europe, and criticize their government, no one is stupid enough to claim I am criticizing them. 

But, criticize, the CCP, and ~50% of Chinese Nationals(other 50% hate the CCP) will have their glass hearts shattered, and then try claiming you are criticizing them personally....   Yea.... 

Edited by footeab@yahoo.com
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, frankfurter said:

China accepted the unbiased WHO.  There is nothing your CDC can or would do that China is not already doing.  Could the CDC help to build 2600 beds hospitals in two weeks?  Could it deploy over 100,000 medical staff?  Could it manufacture 1 million facial masks daily?  Or the 10 million needles daily?  Over 300,000 haz mat suits are needed daily.  

Besides, contrary to your hype and the media hype, I know a person in your CDC, and she is absolutely scared to death to visit China to lend a helping hand. You can believe she and hundreds of others are thanking China for not requesting involvement.  Like your cowardly presidents, the people at CDC who advocate sending their staff into an epicentre are not the ones who would go to the front lines themselves. 

Here is an encouraging fact:  while the total number of patients are rising, the RATE of newly infected patients is DECREASING every day for the past 7 days.  Who else in history could isolate about 60 million people?  We should be reaching the peak soon.  You claim to be a medical doctor, so perhaps you would know what all this means.

Once again ...   tl;dr  CCP good, USA bad

Carry on.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Once again ...   tl;dr  CCP good, USA bad

Carry on.

Winnie the Xi

5192ihz1w9h41.jpg

14 hours ago, Gerry Maddoux said:
However, I still maintain that the Chinese should let in our CDC, and welcome France, Canada, every country willing to send people to figure this out as quickly as possible and save lives. 

13 hours ago, frankfurter said:

China accepted the unbiased WHO.   

According to a news on 15/2/20, WHO spoke person forecasted that the disease should be spreading to each country very soon..........

Instead of saying the disease will be contained very soon............. What do you think they could do or planning to do??

Frankfurter might have given a good picture on how China might have the ability and capacity to get the condition under controlled pretty soon.........

4 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Yes, fully hermetically sealed tents are sitting in storage waiting to be put up in hours, not weeks.  Transportable anywhere in the world.

Footeab, it is highly probable that those are called pre-fabricated structures, whereby, a simple house can be built within 12 hours or less compared to weeks in the old days.

get well soon china.jpg

• Rolling Eye 1

On 2/7/2020 at 2:47 AM, Gerry Maddoux said:

^

China is in real trouble. Their only level 4 lab is basically the epicenter of their viral outbreak, not the wet market. They need help from the global community, but they're too mortified, guilty, and proud to ask for it. The CDC and WHO are going in anyway.

From their injection of 1.2T in liquidity, their basic economic system is at risk of failing. The tariffs had demolished them already. Now this virus, which nobody believes was a fluke of nature. Grocery shelves are empty. Most inbound flights and outbound flights not having to do with emergency evacuation have been cancelled. Only God truly knows the extent of infectivity and mortality----but it is almost certainly some magnitude of what we've been told. Before long, humanitarian aid to prevent mass starvation and death by pestilence will be necessary.

Oil demand is down not only in China but all over. Despite the fact that petroleum products have been about 50% responsible for the tremendous increase in the standard of living and life expectancy growth during the last century, people are eager to jump on the climate change bandwagon--you see some of them on these pages; some of the authors of papers on this website get paid for hysteria-inciting and only partly accurate word-mastering. Still, no mind: these climate change fanatics/opportunists are winning the propaganda war. 

But one day--ONE DAY!--after lots of producers have fallen to the wayside and rebalancing has occurred, there will be a supply crunch. Then a spike in prices. And the people who are bellyaching now about how we've ruined their planet will begin screaming that the oil producers are gouging them at the pump, and elsewhere; my god, they'll be desperate for oil. This has basically been the history of oil . . . only now the shrieks are louder and the planet is, no doubt about it, going through some fairly obvious changes. I am stubborn enough to believe that the mere enactment of the IMO-2020 may result in reversal of many climate changes--that is the biggest ecological step in our lifetimes, not the creation of windmills, solar panels, or electric cars. But there's not much ink used in writing about the IMO-2020; better to take shots at all the other stuff.  

We are all in real trouble and I think the CCP needs to apologise to the rest of the world.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:23 AM, Old-Ruffneck said:

Not true, not all commodities are getting slammed. Please rephrase that.

All but gold?!? 

On 2/8/2020 at 3:27 AM, James Regan said:

Im surprised we have not had any reported cases in Central America, Panama is a big hub for Air China a typical route Beijing-Panama-Houston the leg from Panama to Houston is always empty but a lot of Chinese either transferring or final destination Panama , mainly due to the canal and crew changes on ships, just this one little quip can show you the potential for a virus to run rampant...

Guyana has three "suspected" cases.

(edited)

On 2/8/2020 at 9:38 AM, Tom Kirkman said:

Some gentle Shadenfreude from ZeroHedge after they got banned from Twitter for questioning the Official Narrative.

White House Asks Scientists To Investigate Whether 2019-nCoV Was Bio-Engineered

A week ago, we published details that raised questions about the source of the Wuhan novel coronavirus, specifically questioning the official theory for the spread of the Coronavirus epidemic, namely because someone ate bat soup at a Wuhan seafood and animal market as a fabricated farce.

The real reason behind the viral spread, we suggested, was that a weaponized version of the coronavirus (one which may have originally been obtained from Canada), was released by Wuhan's Institute of Virology (presumably accidentally ), China's only top, level-4 biohazard lab, which was studying "the world's most dangerous pathogens."

At the time we summarized the series of dots and asked "real reporters" to connect them:

1. One of China's top virology and immunology experts was and still works at China's top-rated biohazard lab, the Wuhan Institute of Virology, which some have affectionately called the real Umbrella Corp.
  2. Since 2009, Peng has been the leading Chinese scientist researching the immune mechanism of bats carrying and transmitting lethal viruses in the world.
  3. His primary field of study is researching how and why bats can be infected with some of the most nightmarish viruses in the world including Ebola, SARS and Coronavirus, and not get sick.
  4. He was genetically engineering various immune pathways (such as the STING pathway in bats) to make the bats more or less susceptible to infection, in the process potentially creating a highly resistant mutant superbug.
  5. As part of his studies, Peng also researched mutant Coronavirus strains that overcame the natural immunity of some bats; these are "superbug" Coronavirus strains, which are resistant to any natural immune pathway, and now appear to be out in the wild.
  6. As of mid-November, his lab was actively hiring inexperienced post-docs to help conduct his research into super-Coronaviruses and bat infections.
  7. Peng's work on virology and bat immunology has received support from the National "You Qing" Fund, the pilot project of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, and the major project of the Ministry of Science and Technology.

Of course, that is all ancient history and Zero Hedge was permanently banned from Twitter for raising such a conspiracy theory about a publicly-searchable person working a publicly-searchable place.

But, bygones being bygones, we moved on... until today when no lesser entity than The White House began asking questions about the origin of the deadly coronavirus.

As ABC News reports, the director of the White House's Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP), in a letter to the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, requested that scientific experts "rapidly" look into the origins of the virus in order to address both the current spread and "to inform future outbreak preparation and better understand animal/human and environmental transmission aspects of coronaviruses."

Specifically, ABC News' Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Jennifer Ashton asked the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease about concerns that stem from misinformation online that the novel coronavirus could have been engineered or deliberately released.  ...

< more in the link >

Gee, we better hope the Chinese haven't stolen Mouse Pox from Australia, it has 100% mortality.

Edited by Tom Kirkman
< sigh > moderator edit for decorum

6 minutes ago, Wombat said:

All but gold?!? 

Platinum, Silver, Soybeans, Wheat, Feeder Cattle, Cocoa, Cotton, Sugar...………….

Oil was predicted to drop late last Q4 to possible upper 40's US dollar range. So is it because corona? In July my guesstimate will be upper 50's - lower 60's. It will return to a "norm" no matter what OPEC does. If KSA wants to cut more to spike the prices more production will come from other countries that are trying to find a buyer. Slowly more small discoveries are found worldwide and puts more on the market. Russia will not follow OPEC next quarter and has pretty much said they might actually increase slightly. So stable oil pricing seems to be 54-62 per barrel and keeps everyone accept KSA happy. They still have wells production from the 50's @ 7.50 a barrel to produce. Same with Kuwait. And they need 85$ oil to maintain their social ways...……...too bad. End rant.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2020 at 2:54 AM, Enthalpic said:

I stopped reading when the author started using the term exponential growth.

If you want to pretend to know science at least know that e^x is different from x^C (better referred to as "algebraic growth" like his quadratic eq). Pedantic I know.

Not at all pedantic. Makes all the difference between an epidemic and a pandemic.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, frankfurter said:

China has yet to let any WHO people go anywhere. 5 doctors are still waiting for the initial go ahead. 

CDC has expertise and some equipment, but its not scaled for 1.4 billion people but 350 mil. So obviously couldn't do the hand on work.

Nobody is happy to rush ahead into a life threatening situation. Some of us do so anyway. 

Assuming the numbers have something to do with reality that is good news that the spread is slowing. But on the ground reactions in the cities with higher incidence of Covid 19 of tightening controls and regulating household excursions indicate that the disease is still spreading too quickly for it to be controlled. 

I don't see any daggers here but actual concern and a professional discussion of the economic effects. 

You complain as if something was done to you personally and this discussion of probable source, spread, and credible numbers is a personal affront to you. If you are a CCP member, then yes, your ears should be burning with shame.

• Upvote 3

On 2/12/2020 at 10:13 AM, Ward Smith said:

Umm reading comprehension required. The author of the paper (which I linked to right here days ago) was himself being polemic, meaning he was telling everyone up front that it was going to be a bit of a rant, tongue in cheek. SARS was bad, but its ability to get from human to human was highly limited, hence its contagion was low. Also it made people sick right away as most diseases should. It is extremely troubling (and suspicious) that this virus can hide for up to 24 days is the latest number. 

As to fear, no I'm not personally afraid. If I go, I go. I want to be around long enough to protect my family if need be, but if everything goes into the shite I'm not interested in a Mad Max future, no thanks. 

Same here Ward, good thing we will have several vaccines in a few weeks, even if they do take a few months to scale up production.

• Upvote 1

On 2/14/2020 at 1:36 AM, Gerry Maddoux said:

No, I think you're right. The data certainly is stacking up that way. Smoking damages alveolar cell membranes. Makes sense that smokers would get hit hardest. 

U just reminded me that I need to roll another one!?!

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2020 at 1:49 AM, Gerry Maddoux said:

Yep 14 Americans on their way home from that crusie ship as we speak

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-14-americans-repatriated-from-quarantined-cruise-ship-test-positive-11936216

Lets see how long they are in quarantine for.

In the UK its 14 days which personally I dont think is long enough.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/15/2020 at 8:49 PM, Gerry Maddoux said:

Up to 3/4 of a billion people quarantined at home now.

760 million now in residential lockdown (China)

To stop the spread of the coronavirus much of China has effectively shut down. What’s not been fully appreciated is how extensive the closures are. By our calculations 760 million are living under some kind of residential lockdown. t.co/ZuO31QVi6g

— Paul Mozur 孟建国 (@paulmozur) February 15, 2020

It’s one of the largest social control experiments ever anywhere, even in China. To do it, Beijing is relying on local party officials, police, and busybodies known as grid workers. They’ve effectively closed down many cities to outsiders. This is a station at a closed city: Yiwu pic.twitter.com/9x27uDjxHI

There are blocks of all kinds. Some cities don’t let anyone in who doesn’t have a fixed address. Some force outsiders into 14 day quarantines. Building complexes have checkpoints. Some don’t allow guests. Others limit how often people can leave with makeshift passes like below. pic.twitter.com/Ufqfv11VJo

Likely more than 100 mln people are being limited to how often they can leave their apartment. Rules can be random, enforcement arbitrary. That’s what happens when you have so many grassroots communist party types enforcing rules. At a village level, many have set up barricades. pic.twitter.com/DnBqB6QcZx

www.confirmationbias.io/?p=20198

You do know that is 1/2 the population.

• Like 2

^

Astounding numbers! This thing seems to be fatal through attacking alveolar cells--those lining the air pockets of the lungs. That means smokers are more apt to die from it. But that's a massive part of the Chinese population. 

No matter how it originated, this is a rogue virus producing a zoonosis of great magnitude. Lots of people are working on a vaccine right now but it's likely springtime that's going to eventually put a halt to this. 

From everything out there, it would appear that the virus is capable of riding air currents into the lungs. It seems to have an unusual life span on doorknobs and railings. Springtime is nature's best antiviral: sunshine and humidity. Obviously, these can't be counted on to squash the epidemic caused by this bad boy, but it's something to look forward to.

This is putting the world economy at risk, not just oil and gas. God only knows how many have died from this virus, but it must be an extraordinary number to cause such a gargantuan quarantine. 

For those posting that "even the west Africans could stop Ebola," this is not Ebola, which has an R Naught (reproduction quotient) of only 2 or 3. Ebola isn't spread through the air. This appears to be something much more infectious than Ebola.

I'm sure that the Chinese health ministry, WHO, CDC, and all health organizations are making a guess why this hit China so hard. Since it appears to strike the alveolar cells, thereby killing smokers and probably others with lung diseases, I wonder if pollution-induced lung damage might be a way in. After all, common sense tells you that many more people "took it back home" than the "Extra-China" numbers suggest, and yet, thankfully, there has been no widespread epidemic outside China. 

That we are witnessing is a human tragedy that is unparalleled in our time. Like other huge contagions, this one will pass, but at an extraordinary cost.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

On 1/28/2020 at 2:11 PM, Rob Plant said:

I’m not angry in the slightest Rob

you are entitled to your opinion it’s just I dont find your solution to stopping or preventing viral Illnesses as relevant in the modern era

the Bible  IMO is not an accurate or factual document as Day Trader pointed out in a different thread.

believe what you will, I will stick to science and go to hospital if I get ill, will you do the same or will you read the bible in church to solve your ailments?

Better than the North Korean way of stopping spread of caronavirus.

North Korea does extensive trade and commerce with China, yet Kim Jong In says that North Korea has zero cases of the virus. That's laughable and dangerous. 

Those traveling to China are told not to mingle with the local population. 

An employee that works for the North Korea train company came back from China.  The N. Korean government learned that this employ visited a bath house while in China.  As a precaution to make sure he doesnt spread the virus if he might have been infected  they executed him.  

This time the Black Swan quacks Mandarin.